ADVERTISEMENT

Politi facilities article

Wow 8 figure donor. That's a huge feather in JH/SB's cap if they can pull off that kind of donation. That would be larger than any athletic donation we've ever received. Also speaks to his rolodex which is something I was hoping might be valuable to us. Like I was saying before this kind of support and the contacts he might be able to bring is much more invaluable to us than any recruiting coordinator position.

Who wrote that article? What did the SL do with Politi?

In all seriousness, this quote says it all - "Towers was briefly a candidate to become the football program's recruiting coordinator, but withdrew his name when it was clear that controversy-adverse administrators wouldn't support his bid." Politi is directly telling you/the administration that his attacks are so viscous because he knows that their resolve is so weak.

This one is also telling - "There are obstacles here, starting with a short-sighted university Senate that clearly wishes Rutgers were still playing Princeton at College Field". Politi knows these guys are full of shit, even though he stirs up controversy on their behalf.

Reactions: RUshore99
This is critical and hopefully a harbinger of concrete good news! Often times when one big donor contributes to an organization it encourages others. Better facilities are the lynchpin to success - one minor example - our tennis team's facilities are worse than many, many DIII programs and it (i) was winless (and was crushed in virtually every match) in B1G competition this season and (ii) has a very thin recruiting class coming in for next year making a continuation of this futility in the near future likely a certainty. Neither of these circumstances vis a vis our facilities are coincidences.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people here go gaga over stars but I'm gaga of $$$$$ signs lol. To me that's really the greatest barrier our athletic department has faced and while the B10 pot of gold will be great, it's not a panacea that can get everything done we need to get done. Private donations are huge and historically we've had trouble with it as a school and athletic department in general.

If it actually does come to fruition, again huge huge feather in the cap of JH/SB. Remember this was a couple, don't forget his wife was the co-founder of that hedge fund IIRC, that wasn't involved in the athletic department at all a couple years ago and neither is an alum of RU. I've always said "new blood" either non alums or disconnected alums were key and this is just about as good as it gets in that department. I hope JH/SB and the Towers' are able to pull in more of those new connections in time.

giphy.gif

Reactions: BLewis1968
You will get a lot more 8-figure donors if you have more (and more .. AND MORE) 3-, 4-, and 5-figure donors. By this I mean, if you have more of the little guy(s) making donations on a regular basis, it will bring out the big fish/whale. This is how Michigan and Ohio State got to be where they are.

All this means is that if you donate whatever you can donate, whenever you can donate it (and continue doing it), it will transform fundraising at the athletics department.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
This one is also telling - "There are obstacles here, starting with a short-sighted university Senate that clearly wishes Rutgers were still playing Princeton at College Field". Politi knows these guys are full of shit, even though he stirs up controversy on their behalf.

The Rutgers University Senate

"Currently the Rutgers University Senate body consists of 249 members representing 5 constituencies within 39 schools, including: 131 faculty, 56 students, 13 staff, 43 administrators and 6 alumni."

Apparently, they meet 9 times a year.

Hopefully he can drum up enough support within his network to have a T. Boone or Phil Knight effect on the entire athletics program. Seems to me that, in order to break into the old boys network of elite athletic schools, there has to be a major benefactor that drives the bus. Maryland seems to have found theirs with the UA guy. We need to find ours.

The problem I see is that the average contributor will see these fat cats with their 7/8 figure donations and then not donate because they rely on the big donors . Every contribution counts. remember what the March of Dimes was able to accomplish.

The problem I see is that the average contributor will see these fat cats with their 7/8 figure donations and then not donate because they rely on the big donors . Every contribution counts. remember what the March of Dimes was able to accomplish.
I don't know about that. Usually with these fundraising projects, there's a silent phase where the larger donors are tapped and then after a nice amount has been raised they bring it to the public for others, including small donors, to jump on the bandwagon.

The average contributor is likely to contribute what he has all along or maybe even a little more when the ball is rolling. I donate to causes I like and it doesn't change whether I donate or not if some big wig decides to donate a sizable sum. I'd still donate the same or if anything be oh wow that was a pretty big donation let me add in a little something extra too.

That's never been the problem to me. It's why I never chastise anyone here because I think most likely the large majority of this board contribute something whether big or small. I've always thought the problem is not the people here but just expanding the pool to "new blood" who hasn't donated before whether it be local non alums/businesses or previously disinterested/unconnected alums. I think we generally get about as much as we're going to get from our current contributors. How much more blood can be gotten from that stone? We need to find new donors like the Towers. They are the perfect example of what I've always been talking about. I just hope there are more like them that JH/SB can reach.

"This one is also telling - "There are obstacles here, starting with a short-sighted university Senate that clearly wishes Rutgers were still playing Princeton at College Field". Politi knows these guys are full of shit, even though he stirs up controversy on their behalf."

The short-sided university senate cannot be overlooked at their provincial nature. I wrote the senate president and vice-president a scathing letter, which contained facts that showed how improving our athletic facilities and our brand coincides with academics. That both co-exist and both need to be successful. I went down a point-by-point list and showed them why they were being short-sided. I know it was read, because I have a few insiders that reported back to me on this.

I told them they were still living in a bubble and we are no longer in the Patriot League. Nor are we in the Big East or AAC. We are in one of if not the most prestigious conference in America, and that includes academics of the highest order.

Politi may be a smarmy @%@% but he's not stupid. And as Brown aptly stated and I paraphrase, "We didn't join the B1G to just compete, we joined the B1G to win championships." Hear! Hear!

"This one is also telling - "There are obstacles here, starting with a short-sighted university Senate that clearly wishes Rutgers were still playing Princeton at College Field". Politi knows these guys are full of shit, even though he stirs up controversy on their behalf."

The short-sided university senate cannot be overlooked at their provincial nature. I wrote the senate president and vice-president a scathing letter, which contained facts that showed how improving our athletic facilities and our brand coincides with academics. That both co-exist and both need to be successful. I went down a point-by-point list and showed them why they were being short-sided. I know it was read, because I have a few insiders that reported back to me on this.

I told them they were still living in a bubble and we are no longer in the Patriot League. Nor are we in the Big East or AAC. We are in one of if not the most prestigious conference in America, and that includes academics of the highest order.

Politi may be a smarmy @%@% but he's not stupid. And as Brown aptly stated and I paraphrase, "We didn't join the B1G to just compete, we joined the B1G to win championships." Hear! Hear!
RU Man, I applaud your effort, but you are not dealing with people who have open minds on this issue. Many of them want to believe that Rutgers is still a small private school.

ADVERTISEMENT