ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction: Brandon Coleman is going to be a star in the NFL ...

GSGS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
... assuming he stays healthy, of course, knock on wood.

Many were surprised when the Saints activated Coleman from the practice squad for the last game last year and then didn't play him. Their motivation for activating him wasn't necessarily to play him, but rather to lock out any other team looking to sign him in the off-season (yes, I'm being serious). They had seen improvement during his time on the practice squad, and now much further growth in the off-season.

I expect Coleman to explode onto the scene this year and become a primary target of Drew Brees. In fact, I know some folks connected to the Saints, and they say that Coleman is a major reason the Saints didn't draft a WR in 2015, despite trading their leading WR from 2014, Kenny Stills.

Even more reason why Jets GM Idzik deserved to be fired, he drafted loads of WRs in his last draft for the WR-needy Jets, most of whom have already been cut and will never make an NFL roster. In the meantime, he could have taken a flyer on a local talent playing right under his nose, if nothing else made a greater pitch to sign him as an undrafted free agent.

Of course, many of us thought that Coleman should have stayed one more year, in which case he would have honed his skills and been one more year removed from his knee injury, but that is water under the bridge at this point. Best of luck to Brandon, I for one look forward to his emergence this season.

I hope you are right. Hands are something guys can get better with, but that is a skill it seems they have or don't. Hopefully he has developed them over his year on the squad. He certainly has the size to make an impact.

Coleman played great at Rutgers when he was healthy. He played very average his last year after the surgery. If he can get back to the form that he once had the Saints will have a special player.

During his healthy seasons Coleman was one of the most exciting players to ever play for the Scarlet Knights. I think the Op is spot on.

Coleman isn't the typical undrafted free agent. If I recall he was projected as a potential first round pick prior to his junior season and was still projected to be drafted. I'm still surprised every single team passed on him.

I will never forget the bomb he caught in the Pinstripe bowl to seal the game. Happened right in front of me from the Sky Box we were in.

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
Coleman isn't the typical undrafted free agent. If I recall he was projected as a potential first round pick prior to his junior season and was still projected to be drafted. I'm still surprised every single team passed on him.

There were concerns about his knee. He did not get good medical report from the combine.

To me, his biggest problem was that he did not track the ball well more than his hands. Being on the practice squad might have been the best thing for him.

He drops alot of balls. Hopefully that got fixed. Great specs though on a WR.

Yes, unless he has improved his ball catching ability, he's not going to get regular time on the field. Has he or can he improve this skill? I really have no idea, but I surely do hope so!

The Saints agree:

http://snip.ly/ARLO#http://bigeasyb...r-coleman-may-be-nfls-break-out-star-in-2015/

The top performer in Saints Training Camp so far — with three practices completed including the one earlier today in full pads with live contact?

Second year Saints WR Brandon Coleman, without a doubt.

For anyone in attendance watching the first three days of practices at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, the 6’6, 225 pound Coleman has stood out — but not only because of his size, but rather for his noticeable improvement from last year at this time, up to now.

Coleman struggled mightily as a rookie, suffering from a case of the “dropsies” and not being able to fully grasp the offense.

He was subsequently released, before being re-signed to the Practice Squad where he spent the majority of the 2014 season; before getting called up to the roster with three games remaining.

Clearly it’s obvious that Coleman spent a lot of his down-time in the off season honing his craft and working on the little things that hurt him last year; as well as learning the Saints offensive scheme and his expected role in it.

Coleman looked great in the OTA’s and Mini-Camp but yet many were skeptical if that trend would continue once the Saints got to Training Camp; and especially when the pads came on.

After today, you can go ahead and put a check-mark in that box.

Coleman has drawn the praise and adulation of many observers on hand for all 3 practices of Camp so far; and a multitude of the Beat Writers that cover the Saints were showering Coleman with praise just a short while ago.

If Coleman is able to maintain this level of performance for the duration of Camp and through Pre-Season, then he will be virtually guaranteed a spot in the Saints WR corps on the 53-man Final Roster.

But I think something else should be considered: which is that given the potential that most everyone agrees that Coleman has had but simply was just a matter of finally “putting it all together”, Coleman’s progression could lead to bigger and better things — as in NFL stardom.

With all the talk that has gone on in recent months about Saints QB Drew Brees not having any “weapons” to throw to this year with the departures of former TE Jimmy Graham and WR Kenny Stills, how can you not think that a guy who stands 6’6 and who was nicknamed the “Baby Calvin Johnson” in college, won’t be a “weapon”?

It’s no secret that Brees makes stars out of all of the WR’s that play in Sean Payton’s offense, and I would think Coleman — with his size and natural ability — would be the NFL’s next “break-out” star.

In fact, I’m almost certain of it……

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Congrats to Brandon for working hard and giving himself a chance to make the team. Love to see "R" guys doing well and Representing...Go Brandon! GO RU!

Coleman is the type of player when everything clicks, he could be unstoppable. Part of it includes feeling right physically and mentally. He was just scratching the surface in his one good season with us and then got hurt. Maybe he's just not as mentally tough like Sanu ir Caroo, but he probably is more physically gifted. Wish the best for him and hope it clicks.

Best of luck to him. Seemed like a very nice kid, but never fully trusted his hands, nor did he seem to have the drive that a guy like Leonte Carroo had. Immense talent, though, and clearly his last year here he wasn't the same after the injury. With a year to recover, his physical talents should be back to where they were, and if he puts the mental part together, would be a steal for the Saints.

I don't see Coleman being a top wide receiver from watching him at RU. Didn't use his height to his advantage and hands were so so. However, everyone develops at their own rate so maybe he has significantly improved. I would love to see him emerge as a top wide out.

Quietly hopeful -- there are many fairy tale training camp stories that don't have a happy ending.

But he's always seemed like a great guy and RU needs another superstar in the league.

ADVERTISEMENT