ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: QB (Crystal Ball) - 2015 Version-CLOSED, who will our New QB be?

Who will be the Starting QB

• Dare

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Laviano

Votes: 125 34.2%
  • Rescigno

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Rettig

Votes: 198 54.2%
  • TBD

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • & Clements

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Platoon is coming, and not with Charlie Sheen

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Laviano will win the job, KF stick with him, get fired. We will hire Chris Ash , he will bri

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
Any one ready to change their vote yet?

Last edited:
Going with Laviano mainly due to his experience in actual games and his comfort level with the offense.
Plus, accordign to Flood, he wants to name starter in rather quickly and that will hurt Rettig's chances.

Last edited:
I was thinking Laviano earlier in the off-season but I've changed my mind. I'm sure he's devastated to hear of my new analysis, which consists of kind of sort of thinking that Flood is trying to light a fire under Rettig and the light will come on. Maybe wishful thinking more than anything else.

Going with Laviano mainly due to his experience in actual games and his comfort level with the offense.
Plus, accordign to Flood, he wants to name starter in rather quickly and that will hurt Rescigno's chances.

If they are on the field, they are in the poll :)

I just feel that we have nobody right now that is clearly this team's leader. Laviano has very limited experience that, IMO, means little to this equation. Many seem to think that Rettig has more to offer, but that remains to be seen in real action.
My concern is that we have a real quandary when it comes to leading the offense and that will not work.

On the Big 10 media day interview, Flood said they were close to being even, that Laviano had better mobility and Rettig had the stronger Arm. I guess those who think the strongest arm is more important than mobility would think Rettig eventually wins the job.
Does anybody actually have a reason for Rettig other than "LSU recruited him so he HAS to be good".... Everything I've seen says Laviano is the better QB and he has experience both on the field and with this team

Reactions: vm7118
Way at a distance here, but I sometimes wonder if what Dare brings to the table might fit with an imaginative approach to the O. Just a thought.

Saw nothing from Laviano last year when he was in the game. Other than quick feet, his passing and decision making were suspect. Our best shot is that Rettig lives up to the hype of a national recruit and 4 star rating. If Laviano wins the job, our ceiling is 5-7 at best. We need a QB who instills fear in the heart of the opponent's d so the safeties back off and let our running game evolve. Otherwise we are screwed.

I would like to say it doesn't matter who wins the job.. but we have seen Flood stick with a QB far too long and not develop or play a backup when it was desperately needed. That puts me in an odd spot as a fan.

I'd like to see that Flood has improved and can recognize when a QB needs to see the bench.. on the other hand, I'd hope that the situation never arises.

I would like to say it doesn't matter who wins the job.. but we have seen Flood stick with a QB far too long and not develop or play a backup when it was desperately needed. That puts me in an odd spot as a fan.

I'd like to see that Flood has improved and can recognize when a QB needs to see the bench.. on the other hand, I'd hope that the situation never arises.

I agree with this...regardless of who is the starter in Game 1, I just hope that the QBs are managed effectively and both get playing time. I don't see this being a Nova situation this year where one QB is in the game come hell or highwater.....I think both will see the field a lot this year.

I voted for Chris as the question was who will start at QB and the answer was obvious But who will finish the season I would have gone with Dare!

I voted for Chris as the question was who will start at QB and the answer was obvious But who will finish the season I would have gone with Dare!

I hope Dare doesn't end up starting at the end of the season because that likely means we will be loosing a lot of games by the time he gets the nod

I voted for Rettig. Like others have said, I do not believe that the on-field experience that Laviano already has is anything that would really put him in front of Rettig significantly. I think it's all about McDaniels/Fridge/Flood looking at who is going to grasp the offense (or, who already grasps it better) and who has a higher ceiling. The staff knows that they're dealing with two guys who don't have a lot (or any) on-field time, so that is not really a part of their consideration.

In either case, there will definitely be some hiccups/learning curve/adjustment through - at least - the first half of the season.

Sorry if playing Dare puts fear in your hearts but I based it on the talent level I have seen in the contenders of Chris, Rettig, Dare and Gino. I too pray Dare gets redshirted. He is too talented to blow a year of eligibility on ~1/2 a season of breaking time. But as all coaches look at the future. If Chris and Rettig do not show up, Dare may prove to be the answer. Chris did mature this spring from what he did last fall. So 1 he continues to develop and all will be good If not Rettig will get a shot but for a sit out year he looked more than rusty.
the problem with QB ranking it is based on physical attributes, and there is not star ranking of the mental aspect of their play.
Physical talent is outweighed by mental prowess EVERYTIME!!!! especially in the heat of battle>>> Nova great example Pro skill level but some times it did not come thru due to mental errors and shortcomings.

On the Rettig "rusty from sitting out for a year" argument, didn't he run the scout team all last year? Does that not get you much work as a QB? (Not baiting, just asking)

I used to think Rettig would win easy but I've since switched to Laviano. I've also been told he gives the defense fits as he's very good at "taking what a D gives him".

I have mentioned this many times, bottom line, Flood is stubborn with getting backups more time, and Rutgers has a history of not developing multiple Qb's who are ready to play. Cincinnati beat us one year with their 4th stringer!

Flood has already said that "he doesn't want whoever wins the job to be looking over their shoulder." Sounds to me like nothing has changed as far as QB development goes.

Reactions: MoobyCow
I have mentioned this many times, bottom line, Flood is stubborn with getting backups more time, and Rutgers has a history of not developing multiple Qb's who are ready to play. Cincinnati beat us one year with their 4th stringer!

Flood has already said that "he doesn't want whoever wins the job to be looking over their shoulder." Sounds to me like nothing has changed as far as QB development goes.
Do you know how much experience numbers 2, 3, or 4 had prior to number 1 getting hurt? I don't know what games you guys watch but I don't see many coaches yanking their starting QB for poops and giggles.

Almost to the end of the week and pre-camp result. You can change your vote at anytime.

Currently

Rettig: 74
Laviano: 57
Dare: 5
Undecided:4
Rescigno:2
Clement 1

Do you know how much experience numbers 2, 3, or 4 had prior to number 1 getting hurt? I don't know what games you guys watch but I don't see many coaches yanking their starting QB for poops and giggles.

Who is talking about Poops and giggles?

1. Taking a QB out when the game is lost and he is obviously having a bad day. Flood usually waits till the last series.

2. Games against FCS, the starter should be out by halftime, Flood never does this.

Things like this would help, but we rarely see it.

Time for camp. You can change your vote at anytime.

Currently

Rettig: 78
Laviano: 66
Dare: 5
Undecided:5
Rescigno:2
Clement 2

Who is talking about Poops and giggles?

1. Taking a QB out when the game is lost and he is obviously having a bad day. Flood usually waits till the last series.

2. Games against FCS, the starter should be out by halftime, Flood never does this.

Things like this would help, but we rarely see it.
Please stop.
How many times can you pull a kid before you ruin him? If he doubts every throw he's never going to win. Bitch about Nova all you want but that kid made some huge throws late in games.
2. Really? In what world? The one where Schiano had us up by a TD at halftime? How about last year where we were up big pulled starters and this board went Nuts bc we gave up yards? Also, if you are up by 28 against a 1AA you aren't throwing so who cares who is in.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Just to add before you make some nonsense up.....the last two HEISMAN winning QB's played 1AA teams last year. Marriota's backup threw about 11 passes in a 50 point win while Winston's back up threw 5 against the mighty citadel.

Reactions: snowboarder
Laviano is the clear number one. This is not conjecture as the this actual statement was expressed to my son by some of the guys that will be catching passes from him in the fall
Also heard the same from some one on the coaching staff
We all expected that the 4 star would be the answer but Laviano is better and I believe we will all be happy with him.
The new offense will be a perfect fit for his skill set

Saw nothing from Laviano last year when he was in the game. Other than quick feet, his passing and decision making were suspect. Our best shot is that Rettig lives up to the hype of a national recruit and 4 star rating. If Laviano wins the job, our ceiling is 5-7 at best. We need a QB who instills fear in the heart of the opponent's d so the safeties back off and let our running game evolve. Otherwise we are screwed.

This. When we were in Lincoln watching Laviano playing the 2nd Half against Nebraska after Nova went down, the only positive I saw was his mobility and speed. His passing accuracy looked very poor. Maybe it was the being thrown into the situation in front of 80m fans and nerves played a major factor. Let's hope so. Starting off against patsies like Norfolk and WSU should help either Player who is named the starting QB.

I agree with this...regardless of who is the starter in Game 1, I just hope that the QBs are managed effectively and both get playing time. I don't see this being a Nova situation this year where one QB is in the game come hell or highwater.....I think both will see the field a lot this year.
I think Flood will stick with the one QB that he decides to start. Base on Flood's history, he feels that he needs to build the new QB. confidence which may entail 5-6 games before any change in QB.

The next 2 scrimmages (both on Saturdays?) should /hopefully make the choice clear for the Flood and staff.

I think Flood will stick with the one QB that he decides to start. Base on Flood's history, he feels that he needs to build the new QB. confidence which may entail 5-6 games before any change in QB.
True, but Flood has shown that he can make adjustments and I think with the minimal gap between Rettig and Laviano, there will not be such a long tether on whoever he picks for starter...won't know until a few games in.

If you have two QBs, you have none.
True sometimes but not always. Sometimes when you have two QBs, you have two. And generally two is better than one.

Depth and competition is good at every other position, why not QB? Any other starter knows (or at least should know) that he must consistently perform at a high level or he will lose his starting position. Why should QB be different?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT