ADVERTISEMENT

QB Hayden Rettig

I'm sure one of Floods apologists will respond in his defense.. But he really blew with it when it comes to PJ Walker.. Things would be totally different around here. But it is what it is. We're likely to win 6 games this year & 6 games next year.. And then hopefully we'll make a move and land a coach who knows what he is doing

I'm sure if Flood wanted Walker, PJ would have committed to RU.
But after sitting behind Nova as a freshman would have went the easy starter route as a QB and transferred to Temple .
PJ might have decided , if he stated at Rutgers, DB is the place to get playing time, because he isn't a B1G type QB.
But against AAC competition PJ looks pretty good.

But after sitting behind Nova as a freshman would have went the easy starter route as a QB and transferred to Temple .
PJ might have decided , if he stated at Rutgers, DB is the place to get playing time, because he isn't a B1G type QB.

Walker
2014 Season

YDS TD INT
2317 13 15

Nova
2014 Season

YDS TD INT
2851 22 12

So Nova was plus 10 TDs over interceptions and Walker - 2.

Also Nova's QB rating was 145 while Walkers was 107.

The Vegas over /under for RU last season was 4 1/2, RU and Flood won 8. Beat Maryland, Michgian, Wash St and North Carolina as an underdog. He does the same again and he might bolt for a bigger job and big pay raise. I had doubts too, you know what, he's done ok.

I wouldn't worry about Flood bolting for a bigger job.

I know coaches at Elizabeth and Rutgers probably would have landed him if RU offered Walker and let him play QB. Flood told Elizabeth's coaches that RU didn't see him as a D1 QB but would be interested in him at safety. Walker only wanted to play QB so RU never offered.

Rettig had only 7 passes surprised at that as he needs reps in live action.

Laviano had i believe 3 x more attempts. Perhaps that tells us how flood wants to start the year. Personally never liked dodd coming
Laviano had 10 attempts, +3 not x3. It would have been closer but Rettig first series came after the Gause interception and the Scarlet got the ball back deep in White territory.

The Vegas over /under for RU last season was 4 1/2, RU and Flood won 8. Beat Maryland, Michgian, Wash St and North Carolina as an underdog. He does the same again and he might bolt for a bigger job and big pay raise. I had doubts too, you know what, he's done ok.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY small sample size, but I liked Rettig's reads more than Laviano's. Laviano was throwing into some really tight windows/coverage at times (esp. on that TD...). Not sure if he can complete them against OSU's DBs...

VERY small sample size, but I liked Rettig's reads more than Laviano's. Laviano was throwing into some really tight windows/coverage at times (esp. on that TD...). Not sure if he can complete them against OSU's DBs...
I agree. While Laviano performed and has the stats to prove it, Rettig "looked" better as he went through his read progressions. It should be a good battle in camp this summer. Competition should bring out the best in both of them.

Agreed. One of Laviano's TDs should have been a pick. His first incompletion was off target because he didn't set his feet in the pocket (with no pressure) when throwing. I think Rettig's mechanics are better than Laviano's, which means him being elevated to starter is inevitable unless Laviano works hard on his technique this summer.

I don't know about bolting for another job, but if he goes 8-5 again this year, I'd imagine that a pay raise would be quick to follow.

Not sure why Nova / Dodd was a fiasco. It was the same as Teel / Hart. The younger guys had the higher cieling but the other guys had game experience. I. Both cases it worked out better than if we just played the veterans long term Bd in both cases the veteran got to play in the bowl game and play well at that. If that is a fiasco then let's have more fiascos.

After the Nova/Dodd fiasco a couple of years ago, I doubt that this will happen. I think that happened during Schiano's last season On The Banks.

Flood is not that kind of guy. he knows he has to give his #1 Qb 10-14 days to make a smooth transition into the season. So if it is still close it may be 10 days to settle in if it is one sided he may put #1 QB at 14 day period. Chris from the spring game will not need 14 days to get comfortable he seems there already. So I see Flood using the 10-12 days brake in the QB. By the way I do not see Flood doing a knee jerk flip if the games is not going well. I believe he will ride out a storm with 1 QB. (not going to be happy with that, as he admits with RB who ever has the hot hand wins) I wish he would do that at QB but the man has a different mindset on QBs.
After the Nova/Dodd fiasco a couple of years ago, I doubt that this will happen. I think that happened during Schiano's last season On The Banks.

If Flood builds a program that competes with the best and is considered a threat to win the B1G on a constant bases, he'll get offers .
If Flood keeps RU a middle of the pack program , just short of being a top B1G one, he'll remain as the RU HC.

Anyone know and care to share 1st team snap distribution in spring practices?

It has seemed to me that Flood wanted to differentiate himself from Schiano where it came to managing QBs. Schiano was prone to switch up QBs and was criticized for it. But Flood's sticking with Nova matter what never set right with me.

I have a real fear that we are going to end up with one QB barely beating out another and that second QB not getting enough snaps with the 1st team in practice and not getting enough game time snaps to develop and be a proper back-up.

ADVERTISEMENT