ADVERTISEMENT

quarterback play last night

pepper44

Freshman
Feb 4, 2004
did anybody get inspired by any qbs play last night? did you see anything that got you
excited for the fall season? or is it still to early to tell ?

can't tell crap from spring ball -- but Laviano clearly ahead in my mind... and looked ok.

Laviano was very relaxed in the pocket. Rettig was too tight. Both guys throw a nice ball, but Laviano was the only one with accuracy. Hard to tell about Giovanni because of the playcalling when he was in.

Rettig was hurt by drops. Needs to build rapport with his guys.

Laviano was very relaxed in the pocket. Rettig was too tight. Both guys throw a nice ball, but Laviano was the only one with accuracy. Hard to tell about Giovanni because of the playcalling when he was in.
Laviano looked very good back there....as he has from Day 1 stepping into a tough spot when Nova was hurt. He does seem to "sling" the ball. They replayed his last TD throw to Agudosi from behind Laviano. He has this little "Jim Furyk" loop right before he sends the ball forward. It was a nice pass and right in stride but I never noticed that motion before. Maybe he does it when he's amping up a little extra juice.

Yeah Laviano looked to have a much better grasp of the offense and therefore was able to get the ball out quicker and with more accuracy. He also was able to hit guys at all different distances. He made short, medium, and long passes.

Rettig still seemed to be in a learning phase and as a poster said above "he looked tight." This is not really a surprise to me as I was trying to tell people before spring that the kid hasn't played a real game since high school. Don't expect him to just come in and tear things up. I expect big things out of him once he learns the offense, but I predict that this year Laviano will be the man who wins the job based on his comfort in the system, his accuracy, and his scrambling ability (which will be much needed because our offensive line probably will be a little shaky the first half of the season).

I thought #14 Scanlon looked good, especially for someone I was not aware would even be at QB. Cioffi made a spectacular leaping tip on a 45 yard deep ball that he recovered and ran back, but if not for that I think Scanlon had a TD . I'm not sure where he stands, but I don't think he is #4. I would have liked to see a few more throws from him. Threw accurately on run, nice touch on short throw, good arm, good pocket presence and mobility.

Reactions: rutexan84
I don't think we are going to have much of a downfield passing game other than the go route this year. It will be dink and dunk and then take the downfield shot. KF will be too nervous about picks for intermediate throws (especially in the middle of the field)

No one knows what our passing game will look like. Laviano made a few good heaves....

I was not impressed by anyone else but the new kid that just transferred.....he is so new his name isnt on the roster

I watched parts of the MSU spring game and I doubt their returning starter was any more comforting to their fans. Cook is very good, but went 11 for 22 for 105 yards. The Spring game is a time to try things out, and success or fail we have no idea what they were asked to do.

Both Rettig and Scanlon are transfers. Scanlon is still listed at WR but one article said he switched to QB over the winter. He sat out 2014. video . Laviano and Scanlon seem to be more mobile dual threat QB's, with Rettig and Giovanni being more of what we are used to seeing at RU.

Laviano looked like someone who had snaps last year and Rettig didn't.
I don't recall seeing Lavaino going through his reads as much as I thought Rettig did.
Laviano looks like he plays with an edge, Seems to be along the lines of Teel-Nova as far as not letting distractions affect him.
KF didn't go after/accept Rettig cuz he thought of him as a 2nd tier QB
Summer camp will be fun to watch, and see who comes out on top!

its a good thing we play norfolk state the first week instead of traveling west against a high powered offense.

ADVERTISEMENT