ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Tax People- Creating a Rutgers Ticket Donation Program

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
If Rutgers created a program where people could donate extra tickets for various groups (youth leagues,Veterans,church groups,Scouts,Boys and Girls Clubs,etc.), could those who are donating receive tax deductions ? What I DON'T have in mind is people dumping tons of tickets near the end of a bad season. More in the way of people donating through Rutgers in an organized fashion before the season starts (Example: John Smith can make the Washington State,,Nebraska,Ohio State,Maryland, and Kansas games,but can't make the Norfolk State and Michigan State games,but does not want to re-sell and doesn't know anyone who can go.

Any gift to an established charity from which you receive no tangible benefit is tax-deductible.

Real,
Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question,but would that still apply if Rutgers set up an in-house program or does that only apply to people on an individual basis ? Thanks.

Real,
Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question,but would that still apply if Rutgers set up an in-house program or does that only apply to people on an individual basis ? Thanks.

No, it would apply to any organized effort. The mechanism doesn't really matter.

I know other schools have done this. I wish Rutgers would at some point. It drives me crazy when I hear people say they just have unused tickets and don't bother to do anything with them, when there are thousands of kids who would love to go to a game (some who may become future Rutgers players/students/fans).

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
Real,

Your question is a little confusing. Rutgers, as a not-for-profit educational institution is a qualified charity. If they accept tickets they would have to provide the acknowledgement to the donor that's currently required by the IRS. The donor would take the deduction. And Rutgers could donate the tickets to groups from qualifying organizations. But I'm sure if it was set up in-house their legal people would want to vet it for issues like valuation.

md,
I guess what I mean by in house is that John Smith would send back a few tickets and say he is donating them to New Jersey Pop Warner football,Bill Brown is donating to the Boys and Girls Clubs of New Jersey, Sarah Jones is donating to New Jersey Juvenile Diabetes,etc.Rutgers wouldn't actually be donating-just act as a collector,distributor and organizer. I hope I am making sense.

You don't need Rutgers to set something up.
There are places like seatsofdreams.org where you can donate tickets to any athletic event.
They find local affiliate groups like Boys & Girls clubs, and give them the tickets.
You get a receipt good for your tax deduction.

There is a minimum donation of two seats that are together, as they require that a chaperone attend with the kiddies.

You don't need Rutgers to set something up.
There are places like seatsofdreams.org where you can donate tickets to any athletic event.
They find local affiliate groups like Boys & Girls clubs, and give them the tickets.
You get a receipt good for your tax deduction.

There is a minimum donation of two seats that are together, as they require that a chaperone attend with the kiddies.

Just do it locally.

I donate tickets and a parking pass every year to our local youth football organization for one of their fundraisers. I also give most of my extras to local volunteers (fire, first aid , coaches,etc.) and host them at our tailgate. One of the great aspects of living in a small town.

Never considered the tax write off aspect. Not that it would make a difference in the decision to do it. It's just what you do where I come from. Cheers for bringing attention to the idea Heaven!

Just do it locally.

I donate tickets and a parking pass every year to our local youth football organization for one of their fundraisers. I also give most of my extras to local volunteers (fire, first aid , coaches,etc.) and host them at our tailgate. One of the great aspects of living in a small town.

Never considered the tax write off aspect. Not that it would make a difference in the decision to do it. It's just what you do where I come from. Cheers for bringing attention to the idea Heaven!

Would be terrific if someone were to collect info on all these local organizations and post it on the Ticket board complete with contact info, so those of us who want to donate can do so, easily.

md,
I guess what I mean by in house is that John Smith would send back a few tickets and say he is donating them to New Jersey Pop Warner football,Bill Brown is donating to the Boys and Girls Clubs of New Jersey, Sarah Jones is donating to New Jersey Juvenile Diabetes,etc.Rutgers wouldn't actually be donating-just act as a collector,distributor and organizer. I hope I am making sense.

This may sound harsh, but that would be a mess administratively. Who provides the acknowledgement needed for a tax deduction, Rutgers or the organization? I think Pinehurst might have the better answer with Rutgers providing a list of organizations that the donor could send tickets to directly. They would then be responsible for the acknowledgement.

I actually only mentioned the tax deduction idea because I know it might give some people a little extra incentive to do it. I too,think it is a good idea to donate to local town groups as long as the same people don't keep getting the tickets. Example --Tickets are donated to the Cinnaminson Boys and Girls Club,Marylou Jane Smith opens all the mail for the club, Mr and Mrs Smith and family go to Rutgers football games a lot LOL

I actually only mentioned the tax deduction idea because I know it might give some people a little extra incentive to do it. I too,think it is a good idea to donate to local town groups as long as the same people don't keep getting the tickets. Example --Tickets are donated to the Cinnaminson Boys and Girls Club,Marylou Jane Smith opens all the mail for the club, Mr and Mrs Smith and family go to Rutgers football games a lot LOL

Well, the donors are going to be looking for their acknowledgements so they can safely take the deduction. If the President of the Cinnaminson Boys & Girls Club sees (perhaps even signs) these and none of the kids end up with tickets he/she may start to ask questions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT