RUMassAlum

Sophomore
Jun 7, 2005

10 -Northwestern
11 - Nebraska
12 - Minnesota
13 - Penn State
14 - Rutgers[/QUOTE]

RE-POSTING "CAUSE OLDER THREAD SEEMED TO HAVE REACHED AN ENDPOINT AND I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT NEXT TWO SEASON"S PROSPECTS: Last place is a realistic prediction. I don’t expect a significant improvement in win-loss record until the 2016-17 season, and then ONLY if we can keep our key players from transferring, a pattern which has killed RU MBB for years. I give EJ, Shoes and any others involved great credit for landing a solid PG prospect like Sanders and a promising 4 in Freeman, and other players. This speaks well for the future, and for the first time we have some depth, some size, and hopefully, some better defensive players and a couple of scorers to juice up our anemic offense. However, we must be realistic (not negative, just pragmatic) about the fact that we have lost our two best players to graduation and, more important, that this team is extremely inexperienced and for the most part hasn’t played together as a unit.

Consider this: 6 of our 11 scholarship players have never played a minute of basketball at RU, and overlapping with this stat, 5 who have never played a minute of division I college ball. We have 4 players who have only one year of experience. With the talent level at a Kentucky, Ohio State or Duke, a team that raw might still be a top ten power. At RU, the only way we can be competitive is to have a unit of decent players who have a lot of experience playing together, i.e. a couple of seasons learning to play the RU system, play in synch, employ individual strengths to the max , and work out lineups and rotations. I also think that the OOC schedule is tough, in spite of some fans rationalizing the situation by saying “well, they are middle-of-the-pack teams from big conferences…” Look at the teams; there is hardly an opponent or possible opponent who won’t be the favorite (yes, I know we beat Clemson down at Littlejohn last year, but it could be a stretch to do that again early in this season) against RU.

Here’s what I think is likely to happen. I don’t see more than 8 or 9 wins, but the quality and competitiveness of the losses will be key. If RU MBB keeps almost all of the OOC games close, and if we show that we are gradually getting better as the team gets some seasoning going into the B1G league games, our reputation won’t suffer that much. But we need to show real progress, avoid blowouts to conference powers, and not regress the way we did the last couple of seasons. If we can just play respectably, I would hope that we can avoid damage to the program’s reputation and wholesale transfers out of the program. Then, perhaps we can add several more wins next year and be seen as an up and coming team that is clearly progressing upward toward the middle of the pack in the tough B1G.

Reactions: RUMountie
I wrote the exact same thing a couple of times...the level of D1 experience on the court is really really low. EJ needs to keep it simple this year. What you want to see is a MUCH better team on the court in February than in November. That will translate into more wins in 2016-2017.

What the W-L column looks like will depend on how fast a functioning team can be rolled on the court and how fast some chemistry develops.

Reactions: RUMountie
I wrote the exact same thing a couple of times...the level of D1 experience on the court is really really low. EJ needs to keep it simple this year. What you want to see is a MUCH better team on the court in February than in November. That will translate into more wins in 2016-2017.

What the W-L column looks like will depend on how fast a functioning team can be rolled on the court and how fast some chemistry develops.
Spot on, Shack. Well and succinctly put.

It's almost all on paper at this point. So many question marks and unknowns. In my mind a big question mark is whether we have a coaching staff capable of taking a talented group and turning them in to a good team.

It's almost all on paper at this point. So many question marks and unknowns. In my mind a big question mark is whether we have a coaching staff capable of taking a talented group and turning them in to a good team.

Yes, how can this even be a doubt going into year 3 of the EJ era.

Yes, how can this even be a doubt going into year 3 of the EJ era.

but it is a doubt because we have yet to see anything coaching wise during the first two seasons that would say it. That's not to say the coaching staff wont, it just means that the first two years the team performed basically at their talent level and perhaps a bit below with Jack's supbar year.

RUMassalum post is pretty much spot on. Still the youngest team in the league and ratings wise probably the least talented. It will take overachieving this year to get out of the cellar

Reactions: RUJMM78
I agree with a lot of your sentiments. I will also say though- regardless of EJ as a coach, more important is how he recruits. He has done a great job at that so far.

We would all love to think "we want him to be a great coach, he is a great coach,etc" but the truth is that recruiting is equally if not more important than coaching. Bring in stellar talent, kids who love to play, and coaching takes the back seat.

Recruiting good players is everything. Eddie has exceeded there.

I am not trying to undermine how important coaching is. It is extremely important. From my friends that have interned in the NCAA though, they say recruiting is sometimes more important. A coach is only as great as his capability to recruit.

Being a great coach and winning makes everything a lot easier on the process of course.

but every coach is doing a great job recruiting...so you compare against where you live...that's where coaching will have to come into play. RU is doing better in recruiting but its still below most of the Big 10 schools.

Reactions: RUJMM78
but it is a doubt because we have yet to see anything coaching wise during the first two seasons that would say it. That's not to say the coaching staff wont, it just means that the first two years the team performed basically at their talent level and perhaps a bit below with Jack's supbar year.

RUMassalum post is pretty much spot on. Still the youngest team in the league and ratings wise probably the least talented. It will take overachieving this year to get out of the cellar

Bac- I certainly agree with you that EJ didn't overachieve by any means but I also think it is understated how bad of a team he had.

This year he will have more scoring, the ability to press, and shouldn't have to play his starters 35+ minutes.

Listen, by no means am I saying they'll be setting the world on fire with the roster they have but this should be a team that can beat the NEB, PSU, MINN, NW of the world while maybe sneaking in an upset here or there.

Bac- I certainly agree with you that EJ didn't overachieve by any means but I also think it is understated how bad of a team he had.

This year he will have more scoring, the ability to press, and shouldn't have to play his starters 35+ minutes.

Listen, by no means am I saying they'll be setting the world on fire with the roster they have but this should be a team that can beat the NEB, PSU, MINN, NW of the world while maybe sneaking in an upset here or there.

We are talking about Myles Mack playing overseas and mock drafts having Jack drafted in 2nd round. Both players were seniors. There were role players last year. Last year Jordan underacheived with this group.

We are talking about Myles Mack playing overseas and mock drafts having Jack drafted in 2nd round. Both players were seniors. There were role players last year. Last year Jordan underacheived with this group.

I think that's more of a testament to how inaccurate that guy's mock draft was. Jack is not an NBA talent. He regressed more than any player i've ever seen between his Junior and Senior year.

And yes, Myles had a great career here and I love the kid but he's 5'7" and got shut down almost every game last year by bigger guards and double teams.

And there were role players? Who Malick Kone?

I know grf is a realist, and I see where he is coming from. Jack should have made the NBA. Whatever happened, he didn't gain weight, and he started to shoot three pointers. He got to excited. I also think the BIG was a lot worse for him than the big east. Just more physical/bigger players.

As far as Mack, I think he will still go overseas. I wonder when we will know where either of them go.

but every coach is doing a great job recruiting...so you compare against where you live...that's where coaching will have to come into play. RU is doing better in recruiting but its still below most of the Big 10 schools.

I am not saying EJ is the best coach ever. I will say though, it was our first year in the BIG, and the year before that we were working with a roster a lot of schools would have great difficulty with. Coming off a scandal.

I don't think EJ has overachieved yet. I am not going to tell you guys your wrong or to stop being negative because what you say has merit. If you look at the situation though, it makes sense.

Myles Mack improved from his junior year. Greg Lewis improved from the year before.

Is this improvement due to EJ?Mack, yes. He wanted him to become a point Did a good job there.

To say every time a player improves is due to a coach, that is not true. What is true is that if the coach brings in a player having the mentality of wanting to improve and wanting to be focused on the court, that play will get better. It's up to the coaches eyes to bring in that kind of player.

I think that's more of a testament to how inaccurate that guy's mock draft was. Jack is not an NBA talent. He regressed more than any player i've ever seen between his Junior and Senior year.

And yes, Myles had a great career here and I love the kid but he's 5'7" and got shut down almost every game last year by bigger guards and double teams.

And there were role players? Who Malick Kone?

Mack is about 5 9. Your point though is correct about Mack. He was neutralized night in and night out. Shut down Mack, win the game. Jack is NBA talent, but hasn't developed the physical mentality needed for his position. At 6 9, he should be 245.

Mack is about 5 9. Your point though is correct about Mack. He was neutralized night in and night out. Shut down Mack, win the game. Jack is NBA talent, but hasn't developed the physical mentality needed for his position. At 6 9, he should be 245.

In heels maybe :)

I've met him several times. He's small. But regardless whether 5'7" or 9" its the same thing. He was undersized and taken out games.

As for Jack-- any way you slice it he is not an NBA talent (in my opinion). Not even close. He doesn't rebound well. Doesn't defend well. Is soft in the post. And has well below average shot for the pros. He has the size and athleticism that allows for a lot of hypothetical and what if statements but he has never shown me anything against good opposition that would make me think he can make it in the NBA.

The goal of my original post was not to rag on Jack or Mack. It was simply to respond to Greene Rice saying EJ had a team with ample talent last year to compete in the big ten.

In heels maybe :)

I've met him several times. He's small. But regardless whether 5'7" or 9" its the same thing. He was undersized and taken out games.

As for Jack-- any way you slice it he is not an NBA talent (in my opinion). Not even close. He doesn't rebound well. Doesn't defend well. Is soft in the post. And has well below average shot for the pros. He has the size and athleticism that allows for a lot of hypothetical and what if statements but he has never shown me anything against good opposition that would make me think he can make it in the NBA.

The goal of my original post was not to rag on Jack or Mack. It was simply to respond to Greene Rice saying EJ had a team with ample talent last year to compete in the big ten.

No doubt. A lot of the points you made about Jack are spot on. I guess I am just hoping one player from RU make it to the NBA. Good post, man.

Good discussion for sure, but I'd still love to hear more takes on the upcoming season, and the one to follow, not for reasons of silly speculation, but to understand realistically where our short term future lies.

It's going to be a long next couple years. This is a young team period. We will lose some easy games earlier in the year and everyone on this board will blame EJ. The team will start to jell, and we will have 1 or 2 nice wins in conference. Like the previous 20+ years.....I'll watch and hope for improvement.

Best thing about freshman is they become sophomores----huge adjustment from HS to playing significant minutes in the Big Ten------or any power league for that matter.

Like it or not I still give EJ a mulligan in 2015-2016 regardless of record.

Looking ( hoping ) for improvement in terms of wins and losses in 2016/2017 season.

=

Like it or not I still give EJ a mulligan in 2015-2016 regardless of record.

It's tough to watch the last 2 years and just blame the player's lack of ability and lack of desire. It is very convenient. I truly thought Year 2 would be different in terms on intensity.

The main reason I see this team being a lot better is having a true PG that can dribble penetrate. That opens up the court because players need to come over to help and all of a sudden, things happen.....Examples:

Lewis gets a pass because his man has to help and he gets a less contested easy shot.

Sanders penetrates into the lane and Shaq gets a lob pass and a dunk.

Sanders penetrates, makes a pass and Williams has an uncontested shot instead of taking a rushed 3.

Sanders penetrates, finds Freeman and instead of taking a jump shot (like Jack), he drives to the rim to score.

On defense, with the full roster, It comes down to having more options. I think we see more pressing and trapping because the players are just more athletic. I also like the idea of having a 6'10 guy with length that can help protect the rim. Maybe, the first shot blocker since Hamidaye.

Reactions: higgins3
Ej seems to be a good recruiter, maybe better than his coaching. I am not sure,yet. At the end of the day, it is on the players to play the game and get wins. A coach can only facilitate that.

The people in the ticket office should be given medals for selling any new season tickets. Season ticket holder since 1983--I have no idea why I still drive 75 minutes to watch this. I just can't believe we went from 32-0 and The Final Four to decades of being a national laughingstock.

Reactions: bscharf
ADVERTISEMENT