ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting question:

LinDan516

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 27, 2005
NJ
I am in South Jersey and I was talking to a friend whose kid is a high school basketball player. He stated that there is a young man on his kid's team who is pretty good. He is a 6'-5" athletic high school sophomore. I would like to see if he is RU material. He is from a very, very broken family and does not attend any camps at all and it sounds like there is essentially no family unit. My friend is talking about taking him and his sister into his house to get them out of that environment. Without attending camps he may not get the exposure needed for recruiting. How can I get him evaluated by RU to see if he is someone we should start recruiting? It sounds like even with all of the horrible things in his life, he is a pretty good kid. Any advice to fast track him?

Last edited:
Lindan, what school is he from and what conference are they in? The size sounds good. Reason why i ask is because we have a kid on the team, Jake Dadika who by all means seems like a great kid. In HS, he tore up every game and i think put up 2500-3000 points in HS. Point guard. If they are not in the best league, these stats don't mean as much.Jake Dadika probably won't see more than 10-15 minutes his whole college career.

Drop the name and school if possible and maybe we could figure it out.

Good for you for looking out for him. A lot of these kids come from terrible situations and basketball is the only way to make it out of them unfortunately.

Lindan, what school is he from and what conference are they in? The size sounds good. Reason why i ask is because we have a kid on the team, Jake Dadika who by all means seems like a great kid. In HS, he tore up every game and i think put up 2500-3000 points in HS. Point guard. If they are not in the best league, these stats don't mean as much.Jake Dadika probably won't see more than 10-15 minutes his whole college career.

Good for you for looking out for him. A lot of these kids come from terrible situations and basketball is the only way to make it out of them unfortunately.

Dadika scored 1693 points in HS and yes, competition level matters greatly. If this kid is any good, he will be found by RU and anyone else who thinks he is talented enough.

Okay. For some reason i thought it was bigger than that. Obviously wrong here. I remember we had that one guard who left for CC transfer two years ago who scored a ton of points in HS but had trouble getting 5mpg. Logan kelly?

Section, I still think we have kids who go under radar in this state. Instead of searching for the 4-5 stars, we should probably be going after kids who have high grades, 3 stars, and are coachable. What do you think?

Everyone knows to get out and be a top 6-8 competitor in the big we're going to need better 4-5 star players. Truth is, we're not there yet.

Higgy, Jake was a good player, I watched him in several games in HS as my nephew was his teammate. Love his energy, passion for the game, and he could shoot the three. He as a very good HS player, even saw him play against Carl-Anthony Towns and his team. He scored 1574 points, not 3000, so he wasn't a superstar. He is a walk on at Rutgers and loves it. I hope he starts to get some more minutes. Got to improve his handle and court awareness.

But you are right about the level of competition in evaluating players. I think Jake did not face the best competition in the regular season, but did have some good tournament games against better competition. Jake's biggest problem is that he is only 6 ft. tall, not really the competition he faced.

As far as the player the OP mentioned, I agree Playing HS ball and AAU will get him noticed if he has D1 ability.

Jp, no doubt. Seems like a great kid and when he first walked on I was really pulling for him to succeed here in the bball program. Still am. One of my friends scored 1400 in HS but came from CBA where they competition was far greater. He was able to make it in D1 and set some records at UMBC.

These conferences that allow you to go against the best competition I believe are what draws recruiters in most. Myles Mack for instance was able to create a name for himself by being a very crafty player around the basket and came in with a high level of shooting maturity. Jump,3. AUU ball is exactly what it says,ALL YOU. Nobody defends the lane, and in 60% of cases it's an offensive show. It does get a lot of recruiters.

I hope we see both Jake and lindans player contribute here. I think we need more 3 star jersey kids. We need better players, yes, but that's going to take some time and an accomplished record. Build and they will come.

Jp,Section landan,bk- Do you guys think we under recruit jersey or is the talent just not there?

Jp,Section landan,bk- Do you guys think we under recruit jersey or is the talent just not there?

I don't believe there is much under the radar D-1 talent to be had in NJ. The challenge is that a kid like Dadika and others who succeed in HS, but play sub-par competition don't get projected to the next level. I have to imagine Jake had some D-2 or D-3 opportunities, but not sure he would translate even to lower level D-1. I would not be against targeting the 3-star NJ kid and keeping him home. We have no track record with the Briscoes, Gibbs' and Battles so it is seemingly a waste of time. They are not going to go to a 10-22 program with a 25 year NCAA absence. Fast forward 5 years and we are 20-13 and in the NIT and ware on the rise, then you do a full court press to convince these 4/5 star kids to stay in NJ.

Section,absolutely. That is pretty much how I feel as well. When we get to that point, drop a hook line and sinker in that pond. Until then, I really do think it's a waste of time.

I would like to see some more jersey kids on the roster, but heck, anyone on the roster that can win I will take. Doesn't have to be jersey. I just feel like certain types of kids like Livingston for instance, go under the radar. We might be able to use that kind of player. And I don't say that solely because of what livinsgton did against great competition, but moreso of where he is coming from-a great hs program that teaches the game the right way. Also, seems to have a great support system.

I think it's important to find a good basketball player from a great HS basketball program. They correlate. Would Livingston be a star player, I am not sure. Could he give 15 minutes off the bench and chip in 6-8, I think so..

Section,absolutely. That is pretty much how I feel as well. When we get to that point, drop a hook line and sinker in that pond. Until then, I really do think it's a waste of time.

I would like to see some more jersey kids on the roster, but heck, anyone on the roster that can win I will take. Doesn't have to be jersey. I just feel like certain types of kids like Livingston for instance, go under the radar. We might be able to use that kind of player. And I don't say that solely because of what livinsgton did against great competition, but moreso of where he is coming from-a great hs program that teaches the game the right way. Also, seems to have a great support system.

I think it's important to find a good basketball player from a great HS basketball program. They correlate. Would Livingston be a star player, I am not sure. Could he give 15 minutes off the bench and chip in 6-8, I think so..

I think Eddie and staff are doing some of this with the NC kids he has brought in....and don't forget we lost some as well..Butts, Burnette that were verbals.

Definitely. I think a player like Ryan Johnson will help next year. Doesn't hurt that they have height, wingspan, and ability to shoot. We might have been better off without Burnette. I think he had an off year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT