ADVERTISEMENT

*** regarding the new boards coming next week ***

John Otterstedt

Hall of Famer
Jul 10, 2001
As you might have heard, the new message boards have launched over on the national Rivals site. We should be getting them by Wednesday of next week. I would suggest you take a look, but only go there if you know what you are getting into (an "interesting" crowd hangs out over there).

Someone posted a list of things that they liked about the boards, and I thought that I would share them here. A few of these were news to me:

Here's some of the new features...

Better media embedding so you can share pictures, videos, tweets, vines, Instagram, Youtube videos, etc.Private messaging for both users and the staff to contact you when you've been bad.Mobile experience is nearly identical to the desktop version so links and media will be much easier to share and you can use other features like "ignore" and private messaging.User profiles are easy to create and view.Email notifications when people respond to your posts or when there are new posts to any thread you choose to "watch". Can be turned off.Copying and pasting most web pages will now appear correctly in your messages.Polls can be posted on the top or sides of the board.Archives of past messages could go back years.Ability to share posts or threads via social media.A "like" feature so people can let you know what they think of your posts without the abusive star rankings we had previously.You can use the @ symbol before a person's username and they will receive an alert that you're trying to talk with them.Preview posts before posting them live."Warn" button so you can alert mods to abusive posts or simply to cause problems for people that have different views from your own.When you reply to a message it will automatically quote the text from the message your responding to. This will help eliminate the problem of people struggling to follow a conversation.Multi-quotes so you can respond to multiple messages at once.Spoiler option so you can hide certain texts if you don't want to give away the final score of a game or ending to show or movie.More smilies and emjois.Threads can be listed by start date, replies, views or by the most recently updated thread.You can exit the board before submitting a new post and when you return you can continue the message where you left off. Your message is saved in "drafts".You can search individual threads, the current forum you're using or all forums on the site. You can also search for users, search by date and more.When you open a thread that you've previously read it will auto-scroll to the new messages you haven't seen.Better avatars and you will see them on the front page of the forum for who started the thread and if you responded it will also show you your pic so you can easily pick out your threads.You earn points for likes, quality posts, etc.You can drag pictures from anywhere on the Internet and drop them into your posts. You can also copy and paste images from the internet.Use permalink (small icon on each message at the bottom right hand side) to link directly to a post on a thread. By clicking the icon you can also choose to share the direct link to one of your social media accounts.

Originally posted by John Otterstedt:
As you might have heard, the new message boards have launched over on the national Rivals site. We should be getting them by Wednesday of next week. I would suggest you take a look, but only go there if you know what you are getting into (an "interesting" crowd hangs out over there).

Someone posted a list of things that they liked about the boards, and I thought that I would share them here. A few of these were news to me:

Here's some of the new features...

Better media embedding so you can share pictures, videos, tweets, vines, Instagram, Youtube videos, etc.Private messaging for both users and the staff to contact you when you've been bad.Mobile experience is nearly identical to the desktop version so links and media will be much easier to share and you can use other features like "ignore" and private messaging.User profiles are easy to create and view.Email notifications when people respond to your posts or when there are new posts to any thread you choose to "watch". Can be turned off.Copying and pasting most web pages will now appear correctly in your messages.Polls can be posted on the top or sides of the board.Archives of past messages could go back years.Ability to share posts or threads via social media.A "like" feature so people can let you know what they think of your posts without the abusive star rankings we had previously.You can use the @ symbol before a person's username and they will receive an alert that you're trying to talk with them.Preview posts before posting them live."Warn" button so you can alert mods to abusive posts or simply to cause problems for people that have different views from your own.When you reply to a message it will automatically quote the text from the message your responding to. This will help eliminate the problem of people struggling to follow a conversation.Multi-quotes so you can respond to multiple messages at once.Spoiler option so you can hide certain texts if you don't want to give away the final score of a game or ending to show or movie.More smilies and emjois.Threads can be listed by start date, replies, views or by the most recently updated thread.You can exit the board before submitting a new post and when you return you can continue the message where you left off. Your message is saved in "drafts".You can search individual threads, the current forum you're using or all forums on the site. You can also search for users, search by date and more.When you open a thread that you've previously read it will auto-scroll to the new messages you haven't seen.Better avatars and you will see them on the front page of the forum for who started the thread and if you responded it will also show you your pic so you can easily pick out your threads.You earn points for likes, quality posts, etc.You can drag pictures from anywhere on the Internet and drop them into your posts. You can also copy and paste images from the internet.Use permalink (small icon on each message at the bottom right hand side) to link directly to a post on a thread. By clicking the icon you can also choose to share the direct link to one of your social media accounts.
I will not be happy until I can post content from an excel spreadsheet and actually have it turn out to look like a readable chart.

Just kidding. This sounds like a great and much needed overhaul. Can;t wait.

Reactions: DC89
I think TangoTwo should rate this thread one star while he has the chance.

I'm accustomed to the changes after one day, and the media-embed functions are awesome.

I like this one:

Archives of past messages could go back years.
mostly for all the grilling/tailgating threads!

derlerder "I will not be happy until I can post content from an excel spreadsheet and actually have it turn out to look like a readable chart."
Hear! Hear! this site is so the 20 century antique

"Warn" button so you can alert mods to abusive posts or simply to cause problems for people that have different views from your own.

"Positoids" unite.

John,
Will we still be able to post links the way I do it--I click on address of the article on the top of the computer,press copy,then go to scarletknights.com,click on paste in the share a link address line and delete the extra http ?

Sounds really good John! Looks like Rivals is finally about to join 2015!

That list pretty much covers everything that people been asking for.

I always wanted a like feature. Other forums I use have it, and it gets a simple point of agreement across.

John...everything sounds fanstastic with the upgrades but the biggest concern/question I have is...will the post totals carry over. I would hate to have to go back to zero after finally getting past 77K

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

"Warn" button so you can alert mods to abusive posts or simply to cause problems for people that have different views from your own.

Nobody likes a tattle-tale

"Positoids" unite.

Originally posted by RCTrooper:
Where is the new Never Ending Hot Chick Thread feature?
Apparently "Hot Chick" threads are now verbotten. I had to take the hammer for a week cuz of the last one.

Post totals are supposed to carry over. You might want to take note of what they are this week just in case. Perhaps I can alter them for anyone who experiences a glitch.

As for how you access them, the links will be updated on our main page.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I got a headache just reading through all that stuff. By the time I figure any of it out,we will have won our fourth,fifth, and sixth National Championships !

RUTGERS FOOTBALL--National Champions 1869/1961/1976/2018/2021/2025

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I was just getting used to this one and now you're changing it.

Throw out the New, bring back the format before this one.
sign0009.r191677.gif

Post totals are supposed to carry over. You might want to take note of what they are this week just in case. Perhaps I can alter them for anyone who experiences a glitch.

Can you knock 10-20,000 off my total, so it doesn't look like I spend all my day posting on a message board?

Originally posted by RUJohnny99:

Can you knock 10-20,000 off my total, so it doesn't look like I spend all my day posting on a message board?
Aren't you on a plane right now?

Step 1, right?

Originally posted by RUJohnny99:
What? They don't have wifi on those puddle jumpers to Buffalo?
No, but you can pretty much just connect to every Starbucks along the way.

wow.. 1990s bboard tech has finally been replaced? way to go Rivals... did not read the full list.. butt does this mean the mobile interface will allow links?

As for how you access them, the links will be updated on our main page.

John.......does the main board count its own post total separate from the other sites. I see people with thousands of posts so either they post a lot there or it carried over from the other boards...however when I posted it said I only had 1 post...yet over here when I post this I have over 77K. Why did I revert to 0 yet others there have thousands, is there something that has to be done in the member profile?

I can't get on,all it asks for is do you want to join premium.Hope this isn't a reoccurring problem.

Bac, your post total should have carried over. Just write down your total, a d when the switchover occurs next week, I will see if I can have them fix it

Originally posted by bac2therac:

John...everything sounds fanstastic with the upgrades but the biggest concern/question I have is...will the post totals carry over. I would hate to have to go back to zero after finally getting past 77K
When you hit 100K it just says "No life"

I just got an answer on the post count. Supposedly, when it is all live, your post count will reflect your number of posts on each specific site, with the National Board being considered a different site from this. You will also be able to have a different signature, as well as notification preferences, depending on which site you are on.

ADVERTISEMENT