ADVERTISEMENT

RHJ/Reiber Twitter Dust up over tomatoes

Sloppy joes is grind meat with sauce..wtf
There is a deli sandwich with same name that's completely different

South-Orange-Sloppy-Joe-Sandwich-14-768x1152.jpg

Tom Brady doesn't eat tomatoes. They're in the nightshade family. Me? Yes, a little tomato, a little lettuce, a trace of onion. Don't get carried away. Plus salt, pepper, oregano. Sweet peppers.

Geez, I'm glad I posted. I didn't know- I have been missing out!
LOL they’ve been in a brand new building for the last 2 or 3 years in Green Brook, literally a stones throw behind the old building.

Doesn’t have the charm of the old building, but you won’t break an ankle in the parking lot (the old building was like the moon with potholes).

Hershey's in Westfield was always famous for them too. But most good delis in NJ can make a good one.

Yeah, lot of places make them now - was just mentioning Town Hall Deli because they started there. Lot of places make Fat Sandwiches now, too - which is good since the grease truck lot is history.

Reactions: RUPete
LOL they’ve been in a brand new building for the last 2 or 3 years in Green Brook, literally a stones throw behind the old building.

Doesn’t have the charm of the old building, but you won’t break an ankle in the parking lot (the old building was like the moon with potholes).
So true! Now I find out and Lent starts tomorrow...

This summer, someone needs to take Dean to the Rutgers farmers market and get him a nice Brandywine. Or get him a plant on Rutgers Day (Ag Field Day) and let him grow his own. None of that mealy crap you find in fast food places.. even sub places that specialize in Rutgers sports rumors... and winter tomatoes from greenhouses can be suspect too.

Brandywine? R U kidding me?? How about a Rutgers tomato? There is this variety you know!!! 😛

why would you put tomatoes on sandwiches...I dont get it, you really think the tomatoes you get a sub shop are top line

I dont put oil on subs either..straight mayo
You're just not right in the head. Tomatoes are critical to a good sub and any good sub shop should have quality tomatoes. And mayo shouldn't ever be on a sub.

You're just not right in the head. Tomatoes are critical to a good sub and any good sub shop should have quality tomatoes. And mayo shouldn't ever be on a sub.

Yes mayo is perfect for turkey and roast beef..not that nasty fatty oil that sogs everything

Not an Italian, but perfectly acceptable on a turkey sub
I know I'm on the fence here, but on a for lack of a better word, "upscale" Italian sandwich say with real prosciutto, fresh mozzarella cheese, and smoked peppers - mayo would be an unforgiveable infamia.

Your roast beef or turkey club sort of sub you need the mayo, a ghastly omission otherwise.

I'm most wishy washy on the standard Italian of the sort you might get at our benevolent sandwich overlords, Jersey Mike's. I know mayo is not included in the "Mike's Way" preparation. I previously rejected with scorn the notion of adding mayo. But have to admit over time I've had some pretty good Italian subs with a smear of the Hellman's. Not converted - but open and questioning.

Yeah, mayo doesn't belong within a 10-foot spatula of an italian sub.

But YES to mayo on just about any other sub - love the way it mingles with the oil & vinegar on a turkey, roast beef & swiss, with lettuce, extra tomatoes (sorry, Deano), and onions from Just Subs.

My wife does that. I usually apologize on her behalf and make it clear it’s not mine when ordering. Embarrassing and no excuse for someone who grew up in NJ.

On an Italian sub, I'm a "lettuce, tomato, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper" guy. I like mayo on sandwiches, but not ones that already have oil and vinegar.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
The Italian at Jersey Mike’s on Rosemary Parmesan bread with no onions and add Mayo and bacon … you’re welcome

I know I'm on the fence here, but on a for lack of a better word, "upscale" Italian sandwich say with real prosciutto, fresh mozzarella cheese, and smoked peppers - mayo would be an unforgiveable infamia.

Your roast beef or turkey club sort of sub you need the mayo, a ghastly omission otherwise.

I'm most wishy washy on the standard Italian of the sort you might get at our benevolent sandwich overlords, Jersey Mike's. I know mayo is not included in the "Mike's Way" preparation. I previously rejected with scorn the notion of adding mayo. But have to admit over time I've had some pretty good Italian subs with a smear of the Hellman's. Not converted - but open and questioning.
Deli mustard, or hotter version are an acceptable preference rather than or with mayo on turkey, roast beef and similar subs.

But I'm with those who only want clear liquids (oil vinegar) on Italian sandwiches.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
By the way, when I was a kid Greasy Tony taught me the perfect Italian. Simple.
Hot Capicola, Proscuttini, Provolone
with lettuce, tomato, onion, hot and sweet peppers, oil, vinegar, and salt/pepper.

I confess I occasionally adulterate with an addition of genoa if I am in a experimental mood, and if I am feeling the need for even more salt, some ruffles.

And I prefer not a soft bun as described by the video, but one with a crisp crust.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Lol,

Well I only spoke Italian until I went to kindergarten and this is my Aunt Pia's video, my dads sister. Over 2.6 million followers on TikTok. She and the rest of my relatives don't understand my dislike of tomatoes. I do love tomato sauce/gravy or whatever people want to call it.

I remember that video!

spot on with your first two sentences. Amateur fail on your third.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT