ADVERTISEMENT

rivals main board on a possible kareem walker decommit

Wow ! Who saw THAT coming ?

If you peruse my lame attempts at derailing the idiotic "Kareem Walker Tweet" thread going back over a week ago, I mentioned several times that he isn't going to OSU.

Well, it would be nice if he and Gary land at Rutgers. Wishful thinking on my part.

LOL. Not good enuf for OSU? Got to love the attitude of Buckeye fans.

If he's not considering RU as most believe I hope he goes somewhere outside the B1G.

If he's not considering RU as most believe I hope he goes somewhere outside the B1G.
Probably much better if we don't have to play against him, especially if it's every year in the same division. That being said, he seems to be more of a follower than a leader, and we look like we're pretty well stocked at running back for the next few years.

I think a lot of people did.

That was really my point. I contemplated putting an emoticon after the sentence, but figured most would get where I was coming from and didn't add one. If any fanbase knows that a verbal doesn't mean a kid is actually gonna play for your school it's us.
:D:D:D:D:D

As an OSU fan I think he's plenty good enough and hope he's in Columbus next year. We see this a lot with highly rated out of state guys who commit early. They get cold feet or get enamored with the new attention for another school. In the end the vast majority are still Buckeyes on LOI day. But 5-10% do change their minds so anything is possible.

For awhile now if a switch to occur it's been Tennessee that's been the favorite. If he does switch I do hope it's to go to Rutgers.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
As an OSU fan I think he's plenty good enough and hope he's in Columbus next year. We see this a lot with highly rated out of state guys who commit early. They get cold feet or get enamored with the new attention for another school. In the end the vast majority are still Buckeyes on LOI day. But 5-10% do change their minds so anything is possible.

For awhile now if a switch to occur it's been Tennessee that's been the favorite. If he does switch I do hope it's to go to Rutgers.
Where did you hear that? You know the main board isn't a very reliable source of info? Right?

The OSU recruiting sites have been mentioning Tennessee. Alabama has recently upped their effort to get him to switch it in their favor.

Walker and Gary need to put their state U on their backs. Commit to RU and the recruiting Floodgates will open on the Banks.
[cheers]

Reactions: RUJMM78 and nirrad
The OSU recruiting sites have been mentioning Tennessee. Alabama has recently upped their effort to get him to switch it in their favor.
The same sites whose mods have come on these sites to say Walker is 100% solid and Urban never lied to him? I don't mean to call you out specifically, or to sound like a dick, but they were pretty steadfast that anyone who thought otherwise was wrong.

You know...we are in the big 10 now..
We need big time coaches and
Recruiters.

Put yourself in the position of the kids as it relates to coaches and situations.

Rutgers is a desirable place. Needs juice

Sorry I'm done with that. I have been saying since the 70s if only nj kids stayed home what might be ? Not falling for that again. Now I say go out and get players from ang state.

Exactly. I would settle for developing the talent that actually wants to be here. No matter where they're from.

The same sites whose mods have come on these sites to say Walker is 100% solid and Urban never lied to him? I don't mean to call you out specifically, or to sound like a dick, but they were pretty steadfast that anyone who thought otherwise was wrong.

I don't know what OSU site mods came here but I have posted numerous quotes from Walker interviews here. In not one of them has Walker ever said that Urban or his coaching staff has lied to him. In fact Walker has stated that the OSU staff has been upfront about everything in advance. It seems it's only Rutgers fans that believe Walker was lied to by Urban. I have yet to hear what people think he was lied to about since Walker doesn't feel that way.

Last edited:
Exactly. I would settle for developing the talent that actually wants to be here. No matter where they're from.

Be careful what you wish for. This is what Flood has been doing since becoming HC. After Schianos recruits graduate after this season you'll get your wish.

Reactions: RUchi and RUchip
I don't know what OSU site mods came here but I have posted numerous quotes from Walker interviews here. In not one of them has Walker ever said that Urban or his coaching staff has lied to him. In fact Walker has stated that the OSU staff has been upfront about everything in advance. It seems it's only Rutgers fans that believe Walker was lied to by Urban. I have yet to hear what people think he was lied to about since Walker doesn't feel that way.
Could that be because like the RU fans he lives in NJ? Could it be that people actually know him, his family, friends, and coaches?

Be careful what you wish for. This is what Flood has been doing since becoming HC. After Schianos recruits graduate after this season you'll get your wish.
Being that a majority of our high performers last year were Flood recruits, I think we know what we are in for.

Silly post, IMO. The Great God Greg loaded his team with Florida recruits and created "The State of Rutgers" as a marketing tool for not landing NJ recruits.

Schiano knew that it was going to take time for Rutgers to get Big East-caliber recruits out of NJ. So he cleverly filled the gaps with kids from out of state. Similarly, Flood knows that it will take time to convince the B1G-caliber NJ kids to come to RU.

The only real philosophical question, IMO, is "why does Rutgers have to work so hard to get Jersey kids?" That's a completely different discussion - but failure to realize that it is definitely a substantive discussion is tantamount to not understanding the program.

Please tell me you're not counting Hamilton, Longa and Carroo as Flood recruits.[/QUOTE
No, I don't count them even though they are. People like to make believe those guys weren't left waiting for Schiano at their library. However, he blew them off as he flew to Tampa......no explanation, no heads up. Guess despite this they simply chose RU for the beautiful campus and because they had no other options. Now, be honest and go back looking at our statistical leaders and highlights and tell me what stands out. Early in the people on here said a Floods recruits would crush us last year. After 8 wins they moved the dial again.......

Please tell me you're not counting Hamilton, Longa and Carroo as Flood recruits.
No, I don't count them even though they are. People like to make believe those guys weren't left waiting for Schiano at their library. However, he blew them off as he flew to Tampa......no explanation, no heads up. Guess despite this they simply chose RU for the beautiful campus and because they had no other options. Now, be honest and go back looking at our statistical leaders and highlights and tell me what stands out. Early in the people on here said a Floods recruits would crush us last year. After 8 wins they moved the dial again.......

Silly post, IMO. The Great God Greg loaded his team with Florida recruits and created "The State of Rutgers" as a marketing tool for not landing NJ recruits.

Schiano knew that it was going to take time for Rutgers to get Big East-caliber recruits out of NJ. So he cleverly filled the gaps with kids from out of state. Similarly, Flood knows that it will take time to convince the B1G-caliber NJ kids to come to RU.

The only real philosophical question, IMO, is "why does Rutgers have to work so hard to get Jersey kids?" That's a completely different discussion - but failure to realize that it is definitely a substantive discussion is tantamount to not understanding the program.

Despite being a very good recruiter, GS was not going to get academically qualified top 25 NJ recruits in the early 2000's following the Shea Error. He was able to pull in Rikki Cook who had major options but that was an aberration. To counter this, he was able to use his Florida ties to pull in some under the radar talent from that state (and guys like Randy Boxill who was a big time Miami commit but didn't qualify initially and fell to RU, to GS's credit, he took advantage of an opportunity although Boxill never contributed at RU). His teams lost at a high rate but the margins of defeat slowly narrowed. He was steadily increasing the talent pool. RU football was no longer a running joke among NJ high school players. They qualified for a bowl in 2005 and then jumped way ahead of schedule in 2006. He had B1G quality NJ recruits on that team. Zuttah had major offers and was one of the best players in school history (and still playing major minutes in the NFL). Pedro Sosa was another. How was he able to land a kid like that when RU was in the Big East and had no qualified for a bowl since the 1970's? After hiring some ace recruiters, he was able to convince guys like Hamilton and Carroo to come to RU despite the Big East collapsing and a very uncertain conference future for RU.

You make the simple statement that "Flood knows that it will take time to convince B1G NJ recruits to come to RU". That's just great. Time. Please define. What is going to change?

Pernetti did a masterful job holding that class together after GS left abruptly. No doubt about that. But GS got them to commit over serious competition.

You make the simple statement that "Flood knows that it will take time to convince B1G NJ recruits to come to RU". That's just great. Time. Please define. What is going to change?

We have to improve the brand. That comes from a variety of efforts - facilities, competitiveness, that intangible "allure" that's part of the recruiting process.

I have NEVER agreed with the people who say that our mere presence in the B1G should suddenly bring untold riches of New Jersey 4 and 5 star players. That's bunk. OSU, MSU, UM, Wisconsin, Nebraska... They get those kids because they are who they are. Our B1G membership, alone, doesn't ensure us top recruits any more than it does for Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, etc.

Reactions: Toddwills00
Here is the thing that people fail to understand, though it would be a lot more clear if they went to away a games at Big Ten schools. Rutgers right now if still competing with their former Big East conference mates for players. Against those schools Rutgers should win MOST but not all battles because the Big Ten is better than the AAC and ACC. However, before Rutgers can beat out the Big Ten schools and SEC schools fighting for elite players they will have to upgrade themselves so that when recruits will not feel that they would be missing out or given up too much to go to Rutgers vs the Big Ten/ SEC schools.

For now the only elite NJ players Rutgers will get are the ones that are hellbent at staying home.

No way that those who are not will pick us over a big time schools with big time coaches and ultra luxury plush faculties. That is pure fantasy if you think that will happen.

For now, we can't complete with that. In the future, things may swing our way. Who knows.

That is reality, people around here need to accept that.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
Could that be because like the RU fans he lives in NJ? Could it be that people actually know him, his family, friends, and coaches?

So you're saying that Walker is talking out both sides of his mouth? I would be extremely disappointed in Walker if he would openly lie to the media in interviews and then turn around and tell others a different story. I don't believe that is the case as that is not how Walker or his HS coaches present themselves.

So what is this great lie Urban allegedly told Walker?

So you're saying that Walker is talking out both sides of his mouth? I would be extremely disappointed in Walker if he would openly lie to the media in interviews and then turn around and tell others a different story. I don't believe that is the case as that is not how Walker or his HS coaches present themselves.

So what is this great lie Urban allegedly told Walker?
I'm not saying that he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. Go back and watch the interview with Farrel you have referenced in the past. It's as if Farrel isn't even listening to him, he's simply trying to get him to go down a particular path with his questioning. It's more cross examination than interview. To me, there is a big difference between answering questions when an IPhone and camera are in your face vs a one on one with someone you know. HS coaches should do what's in the best interest of their players.....I'd hope His coaches feel that way.

Reactions: RM60
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT