7 - Ohio State
8 - Illinois
9 - Iowa
10 -Northwestern
11 - Nebraska
12 - Minnesota
13 - Penn State
14 - Rutgers

Yeah I can see this year being worse than last year. We lose our best player and scorer on a team that was dreadful at putting the ball in the hoop. I think 2 years from now we start an upswing. But this year feels like it could be rock bottom

There is no place to go but up. We need to have an attitude that we will stay together and improve every day and to hopefully prove some people are wrong. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reactions: RUMountie
Can someone tell me why Rutgers cannot surpass these teams? They were not exactly world beaters last year and Rutgers was competitive against them without a full roster. I see 10-14 as a crapshoot.

10 -Northwestern
11 - Nebraska
12 - Minnesota
13 - Penn State

When no one can even muster up any anger at a last-place prediction you know we have light years to go. At least people on the football board get pissed when so-called experts disrespect the program.
RU FB fans were the same way around 15 years ago.
10-11 years ago it became different and expectations of winning the BE championship was being discussed on SN's football board.
Hopefully by the end of next season , RU MBB fans will start feeling Jordan is building a successful program and the basement days are over.

I see a lot of truth in what RU-Choppin said. We just need to gain some confidence during the OOC and carry it into some BIG games.

We have Nebraska home & away as we do Minnesota. Northwestern we play only once on the road. Penn State we play only once at home. We need to at least win all 3 of those home games and hopefully get a few other wins in the BIG.

Finishing last is hard. Ask the Knicks. We have a bunch of new kids that don't understand finishing last. We have a coach that won't accept finishing last. Let's let the others talk about finishing last. I see lots of wins in our future.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

How much money do I win in Vegas if I predict the we don't finish last? We will be a much much much better team than last year. In my opinion we are one good shooter away from .500.

I think we finish 10-11.

Guard defense is huge. Sanders and Williams playing those spots will help us out a lot. Laurent coming in, playing a good string of defense will help us out a lot.
Our free throw shooters should be improved, looking at the numbers. Late in game stops, and free throws will help.

If Daniel cuts down turnovers and Sanders could limit his freshman mistakes, I see us at 10-11.

Like everybody said- every Coach had one message for their team last year before facing Rutgers to attempt at pulling out a win-Double Team Mack and you will win this game.That plan worked 95% of the time. Coaching didn't look like a hard gig last year when you were facing Rutgers.

This year will be different.RRRR

RU has added some pieces but the bottom line is on paper it is still the LEAST talented team in the Big 10...one still on a 16 game losing streak. People forget that these other bottom schools have brought in a few good classes to get them out of the cellar...RU basically just one. That's reality, to expect the team to beat out a Northwestern team that came on strong late or a Minnesota team who has had solid recruiting under Pitino may not be wise. RU could overachieve certainly, but will they. They will need to win those swing games and protect home turf at the RAC, With many new faces RU could be the youngest team in the Big 10. They may be a better team and more competitive than last year and win a couple of more games but the end result may still be the basement. Im thinking 4 wins perhaps 5, now whether than moves RU out of 14th, I don't know but its going to take overachieving to move out of the basement nonetheless

If Rutgers plays as a team , they might move up a couple of notches in the standings.
The team Jordan is putting together might show they can complement each other, instead of heading in different directions ( at times) like Rice's players seemed to do.

If Rutgers plays as a team , they might move up a couple of notches in the standings.
The team Jordan is putting together might show they can complement each other, instead of heading in different directions ( at times) like Rice's players seemed to do.

Really is all about playing as a team.Look at golden state, spurs, etc.

If players are looking to boost individual stats, we will have a long year.

We have more said to be defenders on this squad then we have had in three years. That should be a plus.

Williams,Sanders, Lewis,Laurent,Diallo,etc.

Can someone tell me why Rutgers cannot surpass these teams? They were not exactly world beaters last year and Rutgers was competitive against them without a full roster. I see 10-14 as a crapshoot.

10 -Northwestern
11 - Nebraska
12 - Minnesota
13 - Penn State

I agree. There is always a chance here and that is where coaching really comes in to play.

Reactions: higgins3

10 -Northwestern
11 - Nebraska
12 - Minnesota
13 - Penn State
14 - Rutgers[/QUOTE]

Last place is a realistic prediction. I don’t expect a significant improvement in win-loss record until the 2016-17 season, and then ONLY if we can keep our key players from transferring, a pattern which has killed RU MBB for years. I give EJ, Shoes and any others involved great credit for landing a solid PG prospect like Sanders and a promising 4 in Freeman, and other players. This speaks well for the future, and for the first time we have some depth, some size, and hopefully, some better defensive players and a couple of scorers to juice up our anemic offense. However, we must be realistic (not negative, just pragmatic) about the fact that we have lost our two best players to graduation and, more important, that this team is extremely inexperienced and for the most part hasn’t played together as a unit.

Consider this: 6 of our 11 scholarship players have never played a minute of basketball at RU, and overlapping with this stat, 5 who have never played a minute of division I college ball. We have 4 players who have only one year of experience. With the talent level at a Kentucky, Ohio State or Duke, a team that raw might still be a top ten power. At RU, the only way we can be competitive is to have a unit of decent players who have a lot of experience playing together, i.e. a couple of seasons learning to play the RU system, play in synch, employ individual strengths to the max , and work out lineups and rotations. I also think that the OOC schedule is tough, in spite of some fans rationalizing the situation by saying “well, they are middle-of-the-pack teams from big conferences…” Look at the teams; there is hardly an opponent or possible opponent who won’t be the favorite (yes, I know we beat Clemson down at Littlejohn last year, but it could be a stretch to do that again early in this season) against RU.

Here’s what I think is likely to happen. I don’t see more than 8 or 9 wins, but the quality and competitiveness of the losses will be key. If RU MBB keeps almost all of the OOC games close, and if we show that we are gradually getting better as the team gets some seasoning going into the B1G league games, our reputation won’t suffer that much. But we need to show real progress, avoid blowouts to conference powers, and not regress the way we did the last couple of seasons. If we can just play respectably, I would hope that we can avoid damage to the program’s reputation and wholesale transfers out of the program. Then, perhaps we can add several more wins next year and be seen as an up and coming team that is clearly progressing upward toward the middle of the pack in the tough B1G.

Agree with last place. We lost Mack, Jack and Étou, our 3 best players, and we were terrible with them. Our most talented player is a freshman who hasn't played a game yet. Ten wins will be a stretch and can't see how we don't finish last in the B1G.

Jack and Mack are big losses Etou is a loss, but not as big a one as M&LJ.
Hopefully their replacements will step up and do better this upcoming season, than they did last season.
Because of losing Mack, Jack and Étou the glass might look half empty , but their replacements might make that glass :
Half Full [cheers]

Jack and Mack are big losses Etou is a loss, but not as big a one as M&LJ.
Hopefully their replacements will step up and do better this upcoming season, than they did last season.
Because of losing Mack, Jack and Étou the glass might look half empty , but their replacements might make that glass :
Half Full [cheers]

We will not be a last place team....maybe one from the last but not last.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT