ADVERTISEMENT

RU Basketball: Is This The Year?

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
I know we're in a LONG Draught (kind of like the CA water shortage....once in a 1000 years).

24 years and counting. Got it.

But I'm wondering- what if? What if Sanders is as dynamic / more so than promised? What about Laurent- is he ready to contribute? What about JUCO Freeman- can he be a difference maker? Lewis / Doorson at Center gives depth...rebounding / blocked shots. What if we've only scatched the surface of Daniels talents? What if Williams can become a PG / distribute while scoring a little? What about Johnson / what about the RS frosh playing a role in an AMAZING / BIBLICAL turn around.

Ok ...I'm dreaming. We need a new facility. We need better players (but it appears we're on the upswing...n'cest pas?).

Looking to our resident board of experts (not being sarcastic)...to give me some HOPE!

Here's to ending a streak that has been nauseating...and starting a new one: March Dancing!

MO

I can't see this as a breakout year. But I am optimistic that we aren't going to take a big step back after losing our top two players. Eddie and crew have managed to assemble a better group of incoming players than it appeared they would earlier in the season. The possibility does exist that they'll grow into a reasonably competitive team over the next few seasons.

I know we're in a LONG Draught (kind of like the CA water shortage....once in a 1000 years).

But I'm wondering- what if? What if Sanders is as dynamic / more so than promised? What about Laurent- is he ready to contribute? What about JUCO Freeman- can he be a difference maker? Lewis / Doorson at Center gives depth...rebounding / blocked shots. What if we've only scatched the surface of Daniels talents? What if Williams can become a PG / distribute while scoring a little? What about Johnson / what about the RS frosh playing a role in an AMAZING / BIBLICAL turn around.

Ok ...I'm dreaming. We need a new facility. We need better players (but it appears we're on the upswing...n'cest pas?).

Looking to our resident board of experts (not being sarcastic)...to give me some HOPE!

Here's to ending a streak that has been nauseating...and starting a new one: March Dancing!

MO

And here is a long "draught" to you, sir! Hope all is well with you and yours.

And here is a long "draught" to you, sir! Hope all is well with you and yours.

I was OF COURSE referring to the Middle English colloquialism for draft....as in beer!

Thought Bubble: Digging a hole....trying to get out..

MO
PS Keep in touch. I performed for a local "storyteller's" night in Naples area of Long Beach. A friend taped it / is converting to DVD. Drop me a line...still working on the book...but then again- who isn't? Connie Ms. MO # 4 (warming up in the bullpen,Bob, says that she had problems typing on the keyboard (letters didn't always come our correctly).
PPS Can't you hear Ed Norton saying "Draught"....and "here's a long "draught" to you! o_O

Perhaps we will see a reprise of the miracle 1988-89 season! Of course that will be a bit more difficult since we're in the Big Ten, as opposed to the Atlantic Ten this time around, but anything is possible. There is no Soviet Union.

No three point shooting. I can't get past that. Hard to shock anybody without three point shooters. Sanders may be a great penetrator but if there's no one to dish to on the perimeter, he's neutralized.

I think this year will be based on how well freeman and Daniels play. I think well get 8ppg,4 assist from Sanders, some good play from the rest. But BD has a lot of potential but still plays in a wild fashion. Doesn't help himself out. Freeman- can we get 12ppg, 7 rbpg?

Both have big potential. Watching a disciplined Sanders and Daniels go at it would be pretty fun.

This is the year that the RAC is packed...that alone gets a few more wins.

It's way too early to speculate until we know the style of play....I think it's part press.. If it's press and a packed RAC....that could mean even more wins.

May i please remind people that we have exactly 7 years of division one basketball experience on the roster?

Seriously, if Eddie gets us to the NCAAs this year he should be up for national coach of the year and should have his contract ripped up and repelled by a new 5 year $12.5 million deal

Reading bdodgers posts a few days ago makes me worry about who is going to step up at SG....to have a good shooter there is a key to make this team run successfully....Other than that I feel very confident in the other 4 positions...if we get a good shooter at the 2 I think we could be playing around 15-16 wins, which may not be enough for a tournament but will be enough to have meaningful games in ate February, which is all I ask right now

What is the schedule like? We do get Nebraska at home who I think we will beat.

Most Big Ten teams toyed with Rutgers last year, substituting freely. Not many players on our roster would have serious roles on the Big Ten's best teams. "Year" is probably the wrong unit of measurement. If we manage to move up a spot or two in the league standings it would constitute significant progress.

If you looked at box scores of successful teams this year- most of them had a decent starting five and at least 3 players off the bench that contributed. Justin goode may not be a 25 minutes per game player, but I think hell help chip in 4-6 points off the bench. That is all I am asking. Not really expecting a 8ppg performance out of him. I think

Look at Myles Macks freshman year,,9.8 ppg player. Mike Williams-6.3 ppg player. Do I expect 12ppg out of Williams-no. DO I think he could be a 9ppg player this year-yes. I do think he belongs at this level and in this conference. Same can be said about Goode in his role. We have an okay starting five, and like other good teams-we need some people to chip in points off the bench.I think well have that.

Most important part of this seasons success I don't think has anything to do with basketball. I think it has to do wit the dining hall. Rjohnson, Dfreeman and Laurent all need to put on weight to be successful at this level. Maybe a bit exaggerated, but let's think back to how we looked against OSU last year.

I see 14+ wins out of this team.

I think this year will be based on how well freeman and Daniels play. I think well get 8ppg,4 assist from Sanders, some good play from the rest. But BD has a lot of potential but still plays in a wild fashion. Doesn't help himself out. Freeman- can we get 12ppg, 7 rbpg?

Both have big potential. Watching a disciplined Sanders and Daniels go at it would be pretty fun.

Higgins, I think I would be slightly disappointed if Sanders only averaged 8 ppg if he is coming in from Day 1 to run the floor. Are double digit ppg averages too much to ask? Maybe I'm overestimating Corey's ability to play that well that early but I am hopeful.

Last edited:
Keystone, good points. I am setting lower expectations so I won't e disappointed. I think the game is a lot different at this level, especially big. Coaches league so players can be neutralized when you have coaches like bo, izzo, and bellein. I believe it to be a smart league where they game plan pretty hard against us. I think Sanders is a great kid and a great player, but part of his success will depend on adding in some more versatility. Double digits probably can be achieved.

What will help us is having different options. Sanders is one piece of the puzzle as we all know. If corey fundamentals at this level match his athleticism, double digits will happen. If the dribble is there too much, it's going to take time. The athleticism is there(maybe the most athletic in the big), but you don't want to rely solely on that. Making the right pass, pssing out of pressure, and limiting turnovers will be a challenge I bet he could meet. If he does meet is, expect double digits.

If he can learn from Mike Williams and make the fewest turnovers on the team,we're a lot better team. A lot of people forget how little turnovers Williams produces when he's on the floor, Mack averaged 1.7 t/o his frshman year at 26 minutes. Williams averaged 0.7 turnovers last year at 22.2 minutes per game. Keep the ball in our hands offensively and we have a lot better shot for Sanders and the team to win.

No three point shooting. I can't get past that. Hard to shock anybody without three point shooters. Sanders may be a great penetrator but if there's no one to dish to on the perimeter, he's neutralized.
goode is athree point shooter he just needs to speed up his release

Maniac and colonel, one thing that is interesting to note is the difference in shooting style of Mike Williams and Justin Goode. If you looked at MW hs tape, he was the best 3ps in NYC. He was more of a spot shooter. Unfortunately, struggled a ton hitting the 3ps this year.

If you look at Goode, he got his 3ps anywhere, spot and off the dribble with lots of pressure. This bids well for his success at this level(6ppg). Still, a whole different league. We may see the same MW freshman year struggle, but with different technique, maybe better.

I think we need to remember the basics of setting screens to have success at this level. How we're coming off them and creating as much space as possible. If we do that, MW and JG should be able to have a better chance at succeeding.

Apparently Myles was very impressed with Justin's 3 point shooting in practice and hoped we had someone like that on our team this past February. Maybe just maybe Justin can hit 3's and possibly this can push a few others to make shots. We need Williams, Sanders, Laurent and Ryan Johnson all to be able to hit a 3. If each could hit 33% of their 3's I think we would be a lot better of a team.

Great point, Art. The fact that MM was happy with Justin Goode means a lot. Laurent seems to have a nice shot. Have you ever looked at his videos?Definitely a slasher, but has developed a nice looking shot. RJ is a great shooter supposedly. Game changes from HS to D1 obviously though.

MO

I love the part about an "amazing biblical turn around" I kinda think the same thing every year, but it never seems to happen!!! LOL Let's keep our fingers crossed, but it isn't fair to put too much pressure on these guys either. I would just like to see a team that hustles, plays together, and makes a few shots!!!!! I don't know how many wins that translates to, but to me that would be a good season building for the future. Although I hope we don't have to wait too long!!!!

Until Rutgers shows that they can defeat teams like St.Peters ,St,Francis and Monmouth in convincing fashion,talk about turning the corner has very little relevance.The bottom line is that Rutgers must score at least 65 points per game to have any chance of improving the win total.They couldn't do it with Mack,Jack and Etou and yet some fans expect it to happen this year with players having very little time playing together.

Apparently Myles was very impressed with Justin's 3 point shooting in practice and hoped we had someone like that on our team this past February. Maybe just maybe Justin can hit 3's and possibly this can push a few others to make shots. We need Williams, Sanders, Laurent and Ryan Johnson all to be able to hit a 3. If each could hit 33% of their 3's I think we would be a lot better of a team.
Art--my mother had a turn for the worse and she is day to day.........

MO

No, this is not the year.

Are we back in the A10? 14 wins? Relax people. If Jordan coaches a young team to maximize wins we are doing it wrong.

I'm expecting excitement in 2015-2016, but not a great deal of wins. For the first time in years, we have a roster full of talented players. However, the majority of them have never played with one another. I fear early in the season we're going to look like the Keystone Cops, with guys running around with no sense of purpose.

As the season progresses, I think we'll see the team get better and better. I'll be thrilled if we finish .500, but I just don't see it happening. Finishing a few games below the .500 mark is my prediction.

With that said, the 2016-2017 season could be very interesting....

Jordan is not doing any of that, I am saying it. Hahaha. EJ obviously is a lot more experienced than any of us.

Piscataway, you might be on point there.

I'm just looking for us to be competitive. I need a reason to drive down there and watch the games. $$$$

ADVERTISEMENT