ADVERTISEMENT

RU Endowment/Foundation Assets make it into the top 100

This shows Rutgers with an endowment of $919 Million at the end of Fiscal 2014.
By the time RU announced completion of the $1B fundraising campaign, I believe we were getting pretty close to to the $1 Billion mark on the total endowment, so this number has continued to grow pretty rapidly.

This is marginally off topic but I just had a convocation from one of the RBHS schools and we were loaded in the college ave gym with no air conditioning at 90+ degrees. It was an awful experience. I was told I could get up to 6 tickets but when I went to pick them up they said they could only get everyone in our class 4. So I had to tell 2 of my family members who I already asked to come that they could no longer come. On top of this, students from other programs clearly had more than 4 guests.

I received about 6 different emails telling me different times to report in. One said 230, another said 345 and the rest said 3. The ceremony was supposed to start at 430 and didn't start until about 5. So basically me and my classmates stood around in the sweltering heat of the un-airconditioned annex for 2+ hours in our full cap and gown as we watched the event organizers fumble around with what to do. We did have food, but of course it was hot food, on hot plates which only added to the heat.

It was the final RU screw of my academic career at Rutgers. I was embarrassed to say I went to undergrad at Rutgers yesterday because it really was very typical of the way things are run. Really? The College ave gym still doesn't have air conditioning? They couldn't even put in place fans? My 80+ year old grandma could have gotten seriously ill from that heat.

People wonder why our endowment is so low. Well, my story is just a microcosm of the student experience at Rutgers. I'll still be donating but I highly doubt anyone else in my class will be. While our education was very good, our student experience has been awful.

Sounds like your beef is with the admin from your specific RBHS school.

As far as air conditioning in the CA Gym. Do you really expect RU to spend valuable facilities money on that when so few events occur during warm weather months?

Sounds like your beef is with the admin from your specific RBHS school.

As far as air conditioning in the CA Gym. Do you really expect RU to spend valuable facilities money on that when so few events occur during warm weather months?

Don't people work out there during the summer? And I cannot blame our new alumnus from being annoyed at how Rutgers can mess things up.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Don't people work out there during the summer? And I cannot blame our new alumnus from being annoyed at how Rutgers can mess things up.
Agreed. At some point RU has to consider that May can be very hot, and that you either need to find a new place for the ceremony, or air condition the place.

Hey It would be great to have air conditioning in every RU building, but realistically, there are just so many higher priorities.

Hey It would be great to have air conditioning in every RU building, but realistically, there are just so many higher priorities.

Meh, I think AC is a priority. There is simply nothing worse than sitting in sweltering heat. Goes a long way to keeping the experience in a positive light.

Don't want to make you folks jealous, but the fitness facility in Camden is air-conditioned. Otherwise it would be unusable several months of the year.

Don't want to make you folks jealous, but the fitness facility in Camden is air-conditioned. Otherwise it would be unusable several months of the year.

Why is Rutgers sending all that Central Jersey tuition money down the turnpike?!? :mad:

Yes, and we had to beg President McCormick for that facility; we even organized a student/faculty letter-writing campaign after he initially said "no."

No one is suggesting that. But the place that will be the last official experience at Rutgers of your future donors is probably a good place to start. People tend to remember large screw ups much more than day to day competence. In other words - if you have a few million to spend - its probably better to spend it on AC for the gym than to spend it on say a somewhat fancier classroom, even though students would be in the classroom every day, and the gym maybe just that once.

No one is suggesting that. But the place that will be the last official experience at Rutgers of your future donors is probably a good place to start. People tend to remember large screw ups much more than day to day competence. In other words - if you have a few million to spend - its probably better to spend it on AC for the gym than to spend it on say a somewhat fancier classroom, even though students would be in the classroom every day, and the gym maybe just that once.
I don't think I can agree with this.
I would rather make their actual everyday experience better.

I don't think I can agree with this.
I would rather make their actual everyday experience better.

Wouldn't air conditioning make "their actual everyday experience better." Moreover, final impressions are important. And let's keep in mind that lack of air conditioning was only one problem with this ceremony. No one should have to stand around for ninety minutes while the staff tries to get it together.

Wouldn't air conditioning make "their actual everyday experience better." Moreover, final impressions are important.
We're talking about a unit of rbhs having a graduation ceremony in the College Avenue Gym. It's likely that this was the first and only time many of these students were in that building.

Of course not. It is used primarily for student recreation as well as for Athletic Dept. functions. I'm not saying it should not be on the list for air conditioning. I'm saying that I'd add AC to classrooms, dormitories, etc. first.

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
We're talking about a unit of rbhs having a graduation ceremony in the College Avenue Gym. It's likely that this was the first and only time many of these students were in that building.
Yep. And of all the visits to dozens of buildings over four years, which one do you think that the OP is likely to remember most?

Im not saying they have to air condition the building. But they should recognize that May can be really hot, and so either AC it, or dont hold graduation ceremonies in there to begin with.

Yep. And of all the visits to dozens of buildings over four years, which one do you think that the OP is likely to remember most?

Im not saying they have to air condition the building. But they should recognize that May can be really hot, and so either AC it, or dont hold graduation ceremonies in there to begin with.

Also, very useful to piss off the people who are likely to actually make money in the future. Stick the Mason Gross folks in there! Ha, I am just kidding. These places should have AC, like yesterday.

Also the majority of the students were not from Rutgers undergrad which means this is their only experience on the Rutgers New Brunswick Campus. I even heard a PSU grad say "typical Rutgers". As much as I hate the kids guts, he's right. It really is typical.

Also the majority of the students were not from Rutgers undergrad which means this is their only experience on the Rutgers New Brunswick Campus. I even heard a PSU grad say "typical Rutgers". As much as I hate the kids guts, he's right. It really is typical.

I'm somewhat astounded at the attitude that air conditioning is a God given right. I guess it's just the entitlement that pervades in society.

As I've said above in this thread, air conditioning the barn would be great, but Rutgers is funded at 1990 levels and choices have to be made. Typical Rutgers? Yes Typically in need of money.

I'm somewhat astounded at the attitude that air conditioning is a God given right. I guess it's just the entitlement that pervades in society.

As I've said above in this thread, air conditioning the barn would be great, but Rutgers is funded at 1990 levels and choices have to be made. Typical Rutgers? Yes Typically in need of money.
Yes. Its the 21st century in the largest university in richest state in the richest nation the world has ever known. AC should be a given, or at least there should be plans that ensure that high profile events arent held in May in areas without AC.

Air-conditioning is a red herring. The point is that one doesn't hold a graduation event in a place that is unsuitable for it. Nor should one have the students there for 90 minutes while administrators figure out which end is up.

This is marginally off topic but I just had a convocation from one of the RBHS schools and we were loaded in the college ave gym with no air conditioning at 90+ degrees. It was an awful experience. I was told I could get up to 6 tickets but when I went to pick them up they said they could only get everyone in our class 4. So I had to tell 2 of my family members who I already asked to come that they could no longer come. On top of this, students from other programs clearly had more than 4 guests.

I received about 6 different emails telling me different times to report in. One said 230, another said 345 and the rest said 3. The ceremony was supposed to start at 430 and didn't start until about 5. So basically me and my classmates stood around in the sweltering heat of the un-airconditioned annex for 2+ hours in our full cap and gown as we watched the event organizers fumble around with what to do. We did have food, but of course it was hot food, on hot plates which only added to the heat.

It was the final RU screw of my academic career at Rutgers. I was embarrassed to say I went to undergrad at Rutgers yesterday because it really was very typical of the way things are run. Really? The College ave gym still doesn't have air conditioning? They couldn't even put in place fans? My 80+ year old grandma could have gotten seriously ill from that heat.

People wonder why our endowment is so low. Well, my story is just a microcosm of the student experience at Rutgers. I'll still be donating but I highly doubt anyone else in my class will be. While our education was very good, our student experience has been awful.
Got your degree two weeks ago and already with the complaining.

Air-conditioning is a red herring. The point is that one doesn't hold a graduation event in a place that is unsuitable for it. Nor should one have the students there for 90 minutes while administrators figure out which end is up.

Reasonable.

Got your degree two weeks ago and already with the complaining.

Oh please.

I love Rutgers. The best 4 years of my life were spent there. The 3 grad years were in Newark which was, well, less than ideal, but I still love my state university. It DOES have problems though and it would be irresponsible for anyone or any graduate who loves their alma mater to ignore. Rutgers needs a lot of improvements if it wants to be on par with it's peers in the Big Ten and it starts with the student experience.

SanFran & Rutgers16E are part of the, 'Rutgers can do no wrong, it's always other factors' contingent.

Hence, they will make stupid arguments to justify Rutgers in situations where defending Rutgers marks one as an idiot.

Like this thread.

Sorry, I'm not going to bother with a pretense of civility here. Saying that sct1111 wasn't right to complain about this issue is stupid. There is such an easy fix here - move graduation to a facility with AC. Graduation is a very important event, how can you not have AC for the event?

Oh please.

I love Rutgers. The best 4 years of my life were spent there. The 3 grad years were in Newark which was, well, less than ideal, but I still love my state university. It DOES have problems though and it would be irresponsible for anyone or any graduate who loves their alma mater to ignore. Rutgers needs a lot of improvements if it wants to be on par with it's peers in the Big Ten and it starts with the student experience.

I think part of the comments directed at you is that you're seem to be implying that Rutgers is unique with the issues you described. Do you really think issues don't exist at other B10 schools, or other major universities?

When I was an undergrad at Hopkins, a lot of my friends at Rutgers would complain about the "RU Screw". But when they described their complaints, I just laughed at them. Hopkins had similar bureaucratic issues. And friends who went to other schools experienced the same. Maybe it is because Rutgers has a name for it, or maybe it is a Jersey thing, but Rutgers students seem to overly complain. That is not to say that Rutgers (or Hopkins, or any other school) shouldn't strive to be less bureaucratic or improve the student experience. But Rutgers students seem to be uniquely crybabies about it.

So let's look at your complaints in your first post in this thread:

(1) Convocation was held on a hot day in an non-air-conditioned space. While it would be ideal for universities to have air conditioned spaces for all their convocation ceremonies, the fact is that most old universities don't have enough large air conditioned spaces to do so. Pretty much any large space older than about 30 years is not going to have air conditioning. (Heck, the Carrier Dome at Syracuse is named after an air conditioning company and doesn't have air conditioning.) So while it would be nice to have enough air conditioned spaces for all the convocation ceremonies, the fact remains that not enough of those spaces exist. I guess Rutgers could stagger the convocation ceremonies, holding some on Thursday, some on Friday, etc. But then someone would complain that they had to hang out for three days between Graduation and Convocation.

(2) You were told that you could have 6 guests, and then 4 guests, and other programs were allowed more than 4 guests. Without reading the communications you received, I have no idea what happened. Maybe they changed the number of guests; maybe you misread the communications. As far as different programs allowing different number of guests, so what. When my niece graduated from a different university a few years ago, undergrads were allowed 2 guests to the morning ceremony and 6 guests to the afternoon ceremony. PhD students were allowed 6 guests to the morning ceremony and no limit to the afternoon.

(3) You received different emails telling you different times to report. Again, without seeing the emails, I don't know what happened. Maybe they changed the time, or someone made a mistake, or you misread something. Again, going back to my niece's graduation from a different university, undergrads and grad students had different reporting times. Also, the evening before graduation, my niece had to attend a mandatory reception which was given at the same time she was required to pick up her robes. Since she couldn't be in 2 places at once, she sent me to pick up the robes and I missed half the reception. Could have been handled better, but certainly not unique to her alma mater or Rutgers.

(4) The event was supposed to start at 4:30 but didn't start until 5:00, while you "watched the event organizers fumble around with what to do". I hate to tell you this, but when an event like this starts 30 minutes after the scheduled starting time, that really isn't unusual. For the rest of your life, you will be waiting 30 minutes or longer plenty of times. As far as the organizers fumbling around, you really don't know what they were doing. Maybe they were waiting for a VIP who was stuck in traffic. Maybe they were trying to find out if they could bring in air conditioners. But I really doubt that you know what they were doing.

So, yes, Rutgers (and Hopkins, and my niece's alma mater) can do better. But they are big universities, and sometimes not everything goes as smoothly as you'd like. But the only thing that seems to be unique to Rutgers is the continual complaining about getting screwed.

I think part of the comments directed at you is that you're seem to be implying that Rutgers is unique with the issues you described. Do you really think issues don't exist at other B10 schools, or other major universities?

When I was an undergrad at Hopkins, a lot of my friends at Rutgers would complain about the "RU Screw". But when they described their complaints, I just laughed at them. Hopkins had similar bureaucratic issues. And friends who went to other schools experienced the same. Maybe it is because Rutgers has a name for it, or maybe it is a Jersey thing, but Rutgers students seem to overly complain. That is not to say that Rutgers (or Hopkins, or any other school) shouldn't strive to be less bureaucratic or improve the student experience. But Rutgers students seem to be uniquely crybabies about it.

So let's look at your complaints in your first post in this thread:

(1) Convocation was held on a hot day in an non-air-conditioned space. While it would be ideal for universities to have air conditioned spaces for all their convocation ceremonies, the fact is that most old universities don't have enough large air conditioned spaces to do so. Pretty much any large space older than about 30 years is not going to have air conditioning. (Heck, the Carrier Dome at Syracuse is named after an air conditioning company and doesn't have air conditioning.) So while it would be nice to have enough air conditioned spaces for all the convocation ceremonies, the fact remains that not enough of those spaces exist. I guess Rutgers could stagger the convocation ceremonies, holding some on Thursday, some on Friday, etc. But then someone would complain that they had to hang out for three days between Graduation and Convocation.

(2) You were told that you could have 6 guests, and then 4 guests, and other programs were allowed more than 4 guests. Without reading the communications you received, I have no idea what happened. Maybe they changed the number of guests; maybe you misread the communications. As far as different programs allowing different number of guests, so what. When my niece graduated from a different university a few years ago, undergrads were allowed 2 guests to the morning ceremony and 6 guests to the afternoon ceremony. PhD students were allowed 6 guests to the morning ceremony and no limit to the afternoon.

(3) You received different emails telling you different times to report. Again, without seeing the emails, I don't know what happened. Maybe they changed the time, or someone made a mistake, or you misread something. Again, going back to my niece's graduation from a different university, undergrads and grad students had different reporting times. Also, the evening before graduation, my niece had to attend a mandatory reception which was given at the same time she was required to pick up her robes. Since she couldn't be in 2 places at once, she sent me to pick up the robes and I missed half the reception. Could have been handled better, but certainly not unique to her alma mater or Rutgers.

(4) The event was supposed to start at 4:30 but didn't start until 5:00, while you "watched the event organizers fumble around with what to do". I hate to tell you this, but when an event like this starts 30 minutes after the scheduled starting time, that really isn't unusual. For the rest of your life, you will be waiting 30 minutes or longer plenty of times. As far as the organizers fumbling around, you really don't know what they were doing. Maybe they were waiting for a VIP who was stuck in traffic. Maybe they were trying to find out if they could bring in air conditioners. But I really doubt that you know what they were doing.

So, yes, Rutgers (and Hopkins, and my niece's alma mater) can do better. But they are big universities, and sometimes not everything goes as smoothly as you'd like. But the only thing that seems to be unique to Rutgers is the continual complaining about getting screwed.
There it is. Almost perfectly put.

Oh please.

Complaining about Rutgers is so institutionalized, we have a folklorish name for it. The difference between me or those like me and the vast majority of our alumni is that I'm not content to allow complaints about "Rutgers" slip by when the complaint is really about a person or a small group of people, and the "victim" is either too lazy or ignorant to single out the responsible party, yet content to pull the pin out of the grenade, throw it in the general vicinity of "Rutgers" and feel satisfied that he or she has gotten something off his or her chest.

"Rutgers" didn't screw up your convocation; a person or a staff did, and those people have names and should be held accountable, if not at least made aware of the need for and room for improvement. When you chalk it up to the old "R.U. Screw," no one is held accountable, nothing gets better, nothing changes for forty years, and suddenly you find yourself on the losing end of a home basketball game to Sacred Heart. I freely acknowledge that you suffered from an experience that could have been improved considerably is someone, somewhere had simply performed their job better. My criticism, however, is that it's not only insufficient to throw a blanket of blame over "Rutgers," but that it's unfair and irresponsible to do so without understanding who failed to live up to expectations.

If you stop making "Rutgers" the basis of your complaints, then I'll stop calling you out for being a part of the problem rather than the solution.

SanFran & Rutgers16E are part of the, 'Rutgers can do no wrong, it's always other factors' contingent.

Hence, they will make stupid arguments to justify Rutgers in situations where defending Rutgers marks one as an idiot.

Like this thread.

Sorry, I'm not going to bother with a pretense of civility here. Saying that sct1111 wasn't right to complain about this issue is stupid. There is such an easy fix here - move graduation to a facility with AC. Graduation is a very important event, how can you not have AC for the event?
No, I'm not. I'm a part of the "Rutgers can do no wrong; it's not a sentient being" contingent.

Rutgers doesn't "do wrong." People who work for Rutgers do wrong. Blaming "Rutgers" for your lost parking pass, your missing transcript or your sweaty convocation implies that you don't really care about fixing problems as long as you can complain about them, and it's the hallmark of our "I didn't get mine; I'll be damned if the next guy gets his" legacy.

No, I'm not. I'm a part of the "Rutgers can do no wrong; it's not a sentient being" contingent.

Rutgers doesn't "do wrong." People who work for Rutgers do wrong. Blaming "Rutgers" for your lost parking pass, your missing transcript or your sweaty convocation implies that you don't really care about fixing problems as long as you can complain about them, and it's the hallmark of our "I didn't get mine; I'll be damned if the next guy gets his" legacy.

This is a little too fancy for me. Suppose I live in New Brunswick. The employees of the city government don't pick up my garbage. The police harass me. (Remember all of NIRH's complaints about the New Brunswick police.) A city inspector cites my property for a code violation on fallacious grounds. Wouldn't I be entitled to have a poor opinion of the New Brunswick city government? Wouldn't I be entitled to say "I never want to have anything to do with that town again?" (I hasten to say that I'm not saying that New Brunswick would do this; I'm just drawing an analogy.

BTW, cyrock3, everyone here not only should make a "pretense of civility," but should in fact be civil. Otherwise a discussion board just turns into a shouting match.

This is a little too fancy for me. Suppose I live in New Brunswick. The employees of the city government don't pick up my garbage. The police harass me. (Remember all of NIRH's complaints about the New Brunswick police.) A city inspector cites my property for a code violation on fallacious grounds. Wouldn't I be entitled to have a poor opinion of the New Brunswick city government? Wouldn't I be entitled to say "I never want to have anything to do with that town again?" (I hasten to say that I'm not saying that New Brunswick would do this; I'm just drawing an analogy.

Are you entitled to say it? Sure, you are entitled to say pretty much anything you like. But that doesn't make your complaints valid.

If your complaint about garbage pickup is because the town missed a garbage pick up due to a blizzard. And if your complaint about the police is because they stopped you for public urination (remember NIRH's complaints about Point Pleasant). And if your complaint about code violation was really because you failed to get a permit before remodeling. Then you don't really have a valid reason to say that New Brunswick is worse than most towns, because those are things that happen just about everywhere.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't ask for improvements. It would be great if towns had contingency plans when weather prevents garbage pickup on the scheduled day. It would be great if towns ensured access to public restrooms. And it would be great if towns made the permitting and inspection process easier.

But there is a big gap between suggesting improvements and making a blanket claim that everything sucks worse here.

That's a pretty damn large leap right there. People blame "Rutgers" because it is the institution. It has nothing to do with not wanting to fix the issues and everything to do with common usage of the English language.

Are you entitled to say it? Sure, you are entitled to say pretty much anything you like. But that doesn't make your complaints valid.

If your complaint about garbage pickup is because the town missed a garbage pick up due to a blizzard. And if your complaint about the police is because they stopped you for public urination (remember NIRH's complaints about Point Pleasant). And if your complaint about code violation was really because you failed to get a permit before remodeling. Then you don't really have a valid reason to say that New Brunswick is worse than most towns, because those are things that happen just about everywhere.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't ask for improvements. It would be great if towns had contingency plans when weather prevents garbage pickup on the scheduled day. It would be great if towns ensured access to public restrooms. And it would be great if towns made the permitting and inspection process easier.

But there is a big gap between suggesting improvements and making a blanket claim that everything sucks worse here.

You seem to like to change other people's account of the facts. All right then; let's suppose there *wasn't* a blizzard, but the weather was normal. The cops stopped me not because of public urination, but because they liked profiling people like me. The inspector had no grounds for citing me. Certainly in those situations I'm entitled to think poorly of New Brunswick.

The only way your argument works is if it's actually true that the graduating student was at fault, and you have no factual basis for that contention. I took your argument to be "well, Rutgers isn't its employees and so you can't blame Rutgers." Well, if Rutgers' agents aren't "Rutgers," then who is Rutgers? Wouldn't you blame it on Comcast if a Comcast employee were rude to you for no reason? Same applies here.

You seem to like to change other people's account of the facts. All right then; let's suppose there *wasn't* a blizzard, but the weather was normal. The cops stopped me not because of public urination, but because they liked profiling people like me. The inspector had no grounds for citing me. Certainly in those situations I'm entitled to think poorly of New Brunswick.

The only way your argument works is if it's actually true that the graduating student was at fault, and you have no factual basis for that contention. I took your argument to be "well, Rutgers isn't its employees and so you can't blame Rutgers." Well, if Rutgers' agents aren't "Rutgers," then who is Rutgers? Wouldn't you blame it on Comcast if a Comcast employee were rude to you for no reason? Same applies here.

It was San Fran, not me, who claimed that Rutgers shouldn't be responsible for the actions of its employees. And I don't agree with him.

My point it that Sct111's seems a bit of a whiner in his initial complaint and his follow up posts that Rutgers is far from its B10 peers in bureaucratic snafus. I don't believe that Rutgers is very different than most large universities. It may be worse than some schools in some aspects and better than other schools in other aspects.

But every large organization has its share of bureaucratic snafus. As much as you strive to avoid them, they are bound to happen. In an ideal world, everything runs smoothly and no one makes an error. In the real world, sometimes things don't run as envisioned and people make errors.(And in my career, I've been responsible for my share as well, including a product package that ended up in the "Selling It" section of Consumer Reports, much to my embarrassment.)

And, as I pointed out above, the actual nature of Sct1111's complaints really seem absurd. He has a couple complaints about communications (which given his whiney nature, I am not convinced aren't really an error in misreading on his part). But assuming his account is correct, the complaints are somewhat trivial since the communication was corrected or clarified. He complains about the convocation starting 30 minutes late (which I'm not sure isn't intentional, since these type of events seem to always start late).

But his big complaint seems to be that it was hot outside, and the venue wasn't air conditioned. And as I mentioned above, most universities don't have enough large venues with air conditioning to house all the convocation ceremonies they have. There is no easy solution. You can take a chance with spaces without air conditioning (like Rutgers did). You can stagger convocation ceremonies over a week or more to take advantage of air conditioned space (which introduces logistics and cost issues, plus inconveniences those students who have a large gap between convocation and graduation). You can have convocation ceremonies for just some programs but not others (which would just piss off the students who are robbed of convocation). You can hold convocation outside (which has a problem on cold rainy days, like today, even if you incur the huge expense for tents for every convocation).

So while Rutgers, like all schools, should strive to fix actual systemic bureaucracy problems, the stuff mentioned by Sct1111 really sounds like meaningless whining from someone who doesn't have a lot of experience in the real world.

Let's get a couple of things straight.

First off, I think only lawmatt and one other poster from the football board with a degree from tOSU can sepeak to what happens at both RU and other B1G schools. Thsat said, I'm sure they all have bureaucracy and red tape. Fordham gave me a runaround on student loans, and I never had that issue with RU.

Secondly, you can love institutions and criticize them. I live and die RU, but they do a bad job getting out their message, the bus system is bungled, only a minority of sports teams win.

I love NJ, but Christie is killing it. I love New Brunswick and the Jersey Shore, both have severe political mismanagement. I love Jersey City, but I don't like leaving downtown late at night. Nothing incongruous there.

It was San Fran, not me, who claimed that Rutgers shouldn't be responsible for the actions of its employees. And I don't agree with him.

My point it that Sct111's seems a bit of a whiner in his initial complaint and his follow up posts that Rutgers is far from its B10 peers in bureaucratic snafus. I don't believe that Rutgers is very different than most large universities. It may be worse than some schools in some aspects and better than other schools in other aspects.

But every large organization has its share of bureaucratic snafus. As much as you strive to avoid them, they are bound to happen. In an ideal world, everything runs smoothly and no one makes an error. In the real world, sometimes things don't run as envisioned and people make errors.(And in my career, I've been responsible for my share as well, including a product package that ended up in the "Selling It" section of Consumer Reports, much to my embarrassment.)

And, as I pointed out above, the actual nature of Sct1111's complaints really seem absurd. He has a couple complaints about communications (which given his whiney nature, I am not convinced aren't really an error in misreading on his part). But assuming his account is correct, the complaints are somewhat trivial since the communication was corrected or clarified. He complains about the convocation starting 30 minutes late (which I'm not sure isn't intentional, since these type of events seem to always start late).

But his big complaint seems to be that it was hot outside, and the venue wasn't air conditioned. And as I mentioned above, most universities don't have enough large venues with air conditioning to house all the convocation ceremonies they have. There is no easy solution. You can take a chance with spaces without air conditioning (like Rutgers did). You can stagger convocation ceremonies over a week or more to take advantage of air conditioned space (which introduces logistics and cost issues, plus inconveniences those students who have a large gap between convocation and graduation). You can have convocation ceremonies for just some programs but not others (which would just piss off the students who are robbed of convocation). You can hold convocation outside (which has a problem on cold rainy days, like today, even if you incur the huge expense for tents for every convocation).

So while Rutgers, like all schools, should strive to fix actual systemic bureaucracy problems, the stuff mentioned by Sct1111 really sounds like meaningless whining from someone who doesn't have a lot of experience in the real world.

I guess my entire class is full of whiners. We must just be an entitled, inexperienced, naiive, and whiny group of potential donors.

The bureaucracy at Rutgers is awful but that's only scratching the surface. In fact the joke was that it was only right that our graduation was 95 degrees because the heat and air conditioning in our classroom would always seem to malfunction. It was typical to have to wear winter clothes and hats inside during the winter or have to bring a change of shorts and t-shirts because the heat was on too high. We would have the first person who got to class in the morning let everyone else know what the "weather" in the classroom was going to be like for the day.

It was also typical for our class to be kicked out of our own classroom because some shmuck higher up administrator scheduled a meeting in our lecture hall. Although we generally had class in the same location and at the same time everyday, they still managed to schedule meetings during our class time. What type of message is that sending to students?

Look, there are literally hundreds of examples I can give you of the poor student experience at Rutgers. I would say however, that my experience with the legacy UMDNJ/RBHS was far worse then undergrad and is something that Rutgers is really going to have to improve.

The term "RU screw" exists because the incompetence at Rutgers is past the point where it's annoying, but rather it has become so ridiculous that it has become a joke.

We have a facebook group for our class and these are some of the responses from the whole convocation arrival time debacle:

"I think what is confusing everyone is that the email from the dean says that we are lining up at 3:45"
"20 different emails, with 20 different instructions" - University of Wisconsin grad
"Typical"

So as you can see, it has gotten to the point where "typical" is a response for incompetence and disorganization from Rutgers. These are from students who did not go to Rutgers for undergrad.

Yes, a lot of large institutions suffer from bureaucratic issues, however issues like this happen at Rutgers ALL THE TIME.

Look, this thread is about our endowment. There is NO DOUBT that the student experience at Rutgers hurts our endowment numbers. I just wanted illustrate part of my student experience and how the negative experience does nothing to entice graduates to donate.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT