ADVERTISEMENT

RU officials deny bypassing rules to invite Condoleezza Rice to commencemen

Here is a statement by the Rutgers chapter of the American Association of University Professors/American Federation of Teachers attacking the process. I do not warrant the veracity of this statement, but pass it along because it might be interesting:

The AAUP-AFT Executive Council has been following with keen interest
the intense discussions among our members concerning the Board of
Governor's decision to award an honorary Doctor of Laws degree to Dr.
Condoleezza Rice and to invite her to be our 2014 Commencement speaker.

We would like to raise serious concerns about the process by which Dr.
Rice was nominated and selected. Shortly after President Barchi arrived
at Rutgers in the fall of 2012, he appointed a tiny committee charged
with screening and nominating honorary degree recipients and
commencement speakers. The committee included only two faculty
representatives and no students. He made himself the chair of the
committee thereby placing himself in the unusual position of advising
himself.

This new process stands in stark contrast to the one that we used at
Rutgers before the Barchi presidency; Our process, moreover, was similar
to those used by every member of the CIC and other peer institutions we
consulted. Our process involved the participation of a
screening/nominating committee made up of twenty or so faculty and
students. This committee, chaired by a faculty member, canvassed widely
and openly among all members of the Rutgers community for nominees,
discussed them thoroughly, and then came to a considered and collective
recommendation to the president and to the Board of Governors (BoG).

Much about the Barchi-instituted process remains cloaked in secrecy and
thus far attempts to gain more information about the exact nature and
reasons for the change have been unsuccessful. What we do know is that
the decision to designate Dr. Rice as 2014 Commencement speaker was
hidden in a November 2013 quick call for nominations for honorary degree
recipients, well before any action by the Board of Governors (BoG).
Furthermore, the contractually required prior notification to the
AAUP/AFT about the BoG Feb. 4, 2014 agenda item formally to approve her
invitation, was never done. Like the rest of the world, we only learned
of this fait accompli after the BoG made its decision, without
allowing any appropriate opportunity for input from faculty, students,
or the citizens of New Jersey. No matter the decision, such a closed
process is never acceptable and in fact violates the contract between
the AAUP/AFT and the University.

We intend to defend vigorously the rights of the union to receive
advance notification of BoG agenda items as required by the Collective
Bargaining Agreement. We fully support the efforts of student and
faculty groups to get to the bottom of what happened here and to press
in all venues for re-institution of an open, democratic process for
nomination and selection of candidates for honorary degrees and as
Commencement speakers.

Sincerely,

Executive Council of Rutgers AAUP-AFT

Rutgers AAUP-AFT

11 Stone Street

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Office phone: 732-964-1000

Fax: 732-964-1032

Twitter handle: ruaaup

Like us on Facebook

Interesting that they cite the norm of the CIC universities. Because unlike them our faculty is represented by a bargaining unit. Definitely not the norm for the CIC or AAU.

who, if anyone, bargains on behalf of faculty at AAU or CIC universities? Or is there no collective bargaining? The reason we have collective bargaining. I am told, is that President Bloustein thought it was a good idea. But later in his career, he questioned whether a great university could have a unionized faculty.

Originally posted by srru86:
Interesting that they cite the norm of the CIC universities. Because unlike them our faculty is represented by a bargaining unit. Definitely not the norm for the CIC or AAU.
Really? We are unionized at Temple. It has taught me to see unions as a positive for the first time.

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:
who, if anyone, bargains on behalf of faculty at AAU or CIC universities? Or is there no collective bargaining? The reason we have collective bargaining. I am told, is that President Bloustein thought it was a good idea. But later in his career, he questioned whether a great university could have a unionized faculty.
Mu understanding is there is not collective bargaining, as formally defined by the National Labor relations Act, at other schools without unions. It is some manner of "shared governance" with the faculty having some say in management of the school via typically a faculty senate.

At (NLRB v.Yeshiva) ruled they were management employees.

It seems to me there is an inherent conflict if one the one hand you want to be in the adversarial relationship inherent in a collective bargaining environment but also wanted to have a say in the running of the organization via shared governance. Which is the case at the NJ public C/Us. Can you be a worker when demanding better pay and benefits, but management when it comes to participating in operational decisions?

I believe Oregon is the only other AAU university with a faculty union. If Illinois votes for one they will be the only other one in the CIC I think.

Inside Higher Ed
Time for a Union?

Rutgers does not have a faculty senate. It has a University Senate, comprised of representatives of faculty, administrators and students. Having served in it, I can tell you that it does not function effectively. A longstanding clique dominates it -- the same clique, in fact, that leads the union. The Senate makes recommendations to the administration, which (sometimes) goes along.

Rutgers does not have a faculty senate. It has a University Senate, comprised of representatives of faculty, administrators and students ...The Senate makes recommendations to the administration, which (sometimes) goes along.
Back in my student days I got the distinct impression that the U. Senate was a just a talking shop for various campus constituents to sound off.

My understanding is under NJ law all real authority at Rutgers, and the other C/Us, reside with the BOG (BOT for the others). I'm not sure how much shared governing actually happens at other places but I would not be surprised if it was something more than what happens here.

Having served in it, I can tell you that it does not function effectively. A longstanding clique dominates it -- the same clique, in fact, that leads the union.
I presume it is the same 140 or so faculty that vote for every resolution bemoaning misplaced emphasis on athletics and any no-confidence vote in the administration.

Originally posted by srru86:

Rutgers does not have a faculty senate. It has a University Senate, comprised of representatives of faculty, administrators and students ...The Senate makes recommendations to the administration, which (sometimes) goes along.
Back in my student days I got the distinct impression that the U. Senate was a just a talking shop for various campus constituents to sound off.

My understanding is under NJ law all real authority at Rutgers, and the other C/Us, reside with the BOG (BOT for the others). I'm not sure how much shared governing actually happens at other places but I would not be surprised if it was something more than what happens here.

Having served in it, I can tell you that it does not function effectively. A longstanding clique dominates it -- the same clique, in fact, that leads the union.
I presume it is the same 140 or so faculty that vote for every resolution bemoaning misplaced emphasis on athletics and any no-confidence vote in the administration.
It's not even 140. Maybe it's half that. I know that at the University of California there is much more faculty governance, and members of the faculty feel it's their duty to participate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT