ADVERTISEMENT

RU opponents in the postseason - March 27

BeKnighted

Heisman Winner
Jan 15, 2003
Just one game tonight (edit - uh, make that two)

NCAA

1 South Carolina 67 4 North Carolina 65 - Tar Heels scored 2 over last 2:44 (missing 4 of 5) while Gamecocks scored 7**
2 Baylor 81 3 Iowa 66 - too much Agbuke for the Hawkeyes; she had 23 and 12 (and Johnson had 16 assists for Baylor as well*)

*1 shy of the NCAA tournament record, held by Susie McConnell for a 1985 game against RU. (Correction: It's actually 2 shy of the record held by RU's Tasha Pointer, as I originally wrote but changed because the NCAA record books is a mess.)

**Somehow I missed this one, probably because I was so busy researching the incorrect information about the assists record.

WNIT

none

Today:

NCAA 0-2 (best possible record 2-0)

WNIT 0-0 (best possible record 0-0)

Overall:

NCAA 8-7 (best possible record 14-1)

WNIT 6-0 (best possible record 6-0)

Total 15-6 (best possible record 20-1)

This post was edited on 3/28 5:32 PM by BeKnighted

Originally posted by BeKnighted:
Just one game tonight

NCAA

2 Baylor 81 3 Iowa 66 - too much Agbuke for the Hawkeyes; she had 23 and 12 (and Johnson had 16 assists for Baylor as well*)

*1 shy of the NCAA tournament record, held by Susie McConnell for a 1985 game against RU.

WNIT

none

Today:

NCAA 0-1 (best possible record 1-0)

WNIT 0-0 (best possible record 0-0)

Overall:

NCAA 8-6 (best possible record 13-1)

WNIT 6-0 (best possible record 6-0)

Total 14-6 (best possible record 19-1)

For shame, BeK.

The NCAA tourney record for assists in the game (since 1985) is held by Tasha Pointer, against SF Austin in 2001.
18 assists.

Several players have had 17 assists, including McConnell-Serio twice, 1985 and 1986, as you say one is against Rutgers; also Melinda Schmucker of Texas Tech in 1998 and Vandersloot vs. UCLA in 2011.

Source is the NCAA tournament record book, available on NCAA.org.

Also mentioned on ESPN.

Originally posted by Knight Time Fan:

For shame, BeK.

The NCAA tourney record for assists in the game (since 1985) is held by Tasha Pointer, against SF Austin in 2001.
18 assists.

Several players have had 17 assists, including McConnell-Serio twice, 1985 and 1986, as you say one is against Rutgers; also Melinda Schmucker of Texas Tech in 1998 and Vandersloot vs. UCLA in 2011.

Source is the NCAA tournament record book, available on NCAA.org.

Also mentioned on ESPN.
So here's something funny. The original version of the footnote said that it was 2 shy of Tasha's record, because that's what I remembered. But, being paranoid, I went to look it up, and the 2104 NCAA record book for the women's tournament lists the Susie McConnell 17 assists as the record for preliminary rounds (and a much lower number as the FF record). Either they buried the real list somewhere else in the book, or the book is wrong.

I'd love it if you'd give me the link to the page where you got the right list. (I find it very annoying how difficult the NCAA makes it to find things like this.)

Didn't UNC play (and lose) to USCe last night, or has that already been accounted for?

Thanks.

Originally posted by ecojew:
Didn't UNC play (and lose) to USCe last night, or has that already been accounted for?

Thanks.
I realized I left it out while watching the Louisville game. (No, I don't know why.) I'm going to fix it now.

ADVERTISEMENT