ADVERTISEMENT

RU-UW: Halloween Weekend-Advice Appreciated

RU Husky

All Conference
Sep 26, 2011
I will be in the midwest the entire month of October and was seriously considering going to the RU game in Madison the week before the RU-Michigan game in Ann Arbor which I will be attending. My friends at UW basically said stay away from Madison the weekend of the RU game (Freakfest) . I went to UW for graduate school back in the mid-60's when there was no such thing and football weekends were pretty lame (UW was awful then) and haven't been back for a game since.

Being of a certain age (like over 70) has dampened my enthusiasm for such things like the mayhem that purportedly goes with Halloween weekends in Madison the last few years.

Should I take their advice seriously and not go or is the mayhem overstated? Any first hand experiences to report? Thanks in advance.

I did not know about this. Thanks for bringing it up. I might have booked a Hotel a little farther away from the site if I'd known. We will not have to go through/around State Street to get to the Stadium, so there is that.

But not go? Short of tear gas it won't keep me away.

It is listed on the official Visit Madison website so how lawless can it be?

But I am also curious if anybody has first hand experience from last year.

I did not know about this. Thanks for bringing it up. I might have booked a Hotel a little farther away from the site if I'd known. We will not have to go through/around State Street to get to the Stadium, so there is that.

But not go? Short of tear gas it won't keep me away.

It is listed on the official Visit Madison website so how lawless can it be?

But I am also curious if anybody has first hand experience from last year.

Here's a guide to Freakfest 2015
http://host.madison.com/freakfest/

and this chart from Wiki- smaller attendance and fewer arrests after city took over and started charging
Attendance and arrest rates
Year Attendance Arrests
2001 60,000 to 120,000[7] 0[8]
2002 65,000[9]
2003 65,000 Fri; 40,000 Sat[10] 350 (180 Fri, 170 Sat)[10]
2004 80,000[11]
2005 100,000[12] 334[13] to 566[14][12]
City government took control of the event
2006 32,000 148[13] to 230[14]
2007 34,000 181 (55 Fri, 126 Sat)[15]
2008 38,000 77
2009 44,000 47[16][17]
2010 35,000 43[18]
2011 25,000 30[19]

Interesting. I'm staying at the Milwaukee airport because my return flight is very early in the morning on Sunday. I was thinking about taking the Badger Bus from the airport to the campus. Now for sure I will rent a car. Hope the game is now an 11:00 AM game so we can get out before the mayhem begins.

Interesting. I'm staying at the Milwaukee airport because my return flight is very early in the morning on Sunday. I was thinking about taking the Badger Bus from the airport to the campus. Now for sure I will rent a car. Hope the game is now an 11:00 AM game so we can get out before the mayhem begins.
The advice given to me was to stay in or near Chicago and drive up the morning of the game and then get the hell out of there. A lot depends on kickoff time.

Flying into Chicago on THursday and staying in Madison Saturday night ... Flying home on Tuesday .. Unfortunately the Packers are in Denver that week ... never been to Chicago but I am looking forward to a few days of sightseeing ..

My son attends Madison. The Freakfest is fun, but not insane. No reason to avoid Madison on the evening of Halloween. If the game is at noon then most of the kids will spend the post game sleeping before heading out at night.

Chicago is about 3 hours to Madison - either by Rt. 94N to Rt. 43E or by Rt. 90W to Rockford and then Rt. 39N.

The Bears play the Vikings at Soldier Field on Nov. 1.

The advice given to me was to stay in or near Chicago and drive up the morning of the game and then get the hell out of there. A lot depends on kickoff time.
Not sure of the proximity of the Freakfest to the stadium. Would they have a game at 7:00 (they are CST right?) if it would conflict with their Freakfest? Looks like an 11:00 or 2:30 CST game.

Not sure of the proximity of the Freakfest to the stadium.

Freakfest Map

If you go on google maps you will see FreakFest starts at the Capital roughly and goes toward the campus. The Stadium is on the other side of their sizable campus. The Capital and Stadium are about 1.7 miles apart.

Not sure of the proximity of the Freakfest to the stadium. Would they have a game at 7:00 (they are CST right?) if it would conflict with their Freakfest? Looks like an 11:00 or 2:30 CST game.
From what I know, Freakfest is located on pedestrian only State Street which is quite distant from Camp Randall. My concern was the spill over factors- impact on thru traffic, hotels, bars, restaurants, parking,etc. pre and post game. If I go and if I stay in the Madison area I will have to do some more due diligence; otherwise, sounds like I'll make the easy ride from Chicago, which I've done before.

I just called the hotel we are staying at, the Madison Concourse, which is near the capitol. they assured me that they are not on the same street with the freaks at the fest and that they provide shuttle service to and from the game.

Husky, while the guide you posted says 2015 all of the information at the website seems to be from 2014, which is too bad because I really like American Authors.

I just called the hotel we are staying at, the Madison Concourse, which is near the capitol. they assured me that they are not on the same street with the freaks at the fest and that they provide shuttle service to and from the game.

Husky, while the guide you posted says 2015 all of the information at the website seems to be from 2014, which is too bad because I really like American Authors.

What the hell did you get me into woman!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT