ADVERTISEMENT

RU Wrestling: Where we are now.

I think you are probably right. The Big 10 Tourny, a grinder, will be impt for seeding, obviously. I think 6, with Bak being the 6th is a possibility. ( Del Vecchio, Ash, Theo, Perotti, Smith, and possibly Bakuckas).

On the Big 10 Tourny, I noticed on the BTN schedule, it appears the first day will be on BTN plus, but the second day (semis and finals as well as consolations, will be on FREE BTN !)

http://www.d1collegewrestling.net/NCAAQualifierProj_2015.html

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2015/1/28/7922615/big-ten-wrestling-standings-penn-state-iowa-minnesota-tournament-seeding-brackets

I think we have a great chance of getting at least 5, good chance for 6 with 7 being a really outside shot.

This post was edited on 2/3 2:04 PM by KidDagger

Originally posted by KidDagger:
Earl is as knowledgeable as anyone when it comes to D1 wrestling, so it's a good sign when his early predictions gives RU 8 qualifiers. Camp and McCabe getting bids are long shots IMO but not impossible. i think 6 is a good, reasonably optimistic expectation.

McCabe will be helped by the fact that he has two winnable matches to round out the season. Cavallaris from Wisconsin is 0-3 in conference (2 by fall, 1 MD), and then he will have a big match against White from Northwestern (11-12, 3-4) in what should be a very competitive match. Hopefully he can show up on the road and get those 2 wins.

Originally posted by Jaroslav Hasek:

Originally posted by KidDagger:
Earl is as knowledgeable as anyone when it comes to D1 wrestling, so it's a good sign when his early predictions gives RU 8 qualifiers. Camp and McCabe getting bids are long shots IMO but not impossible. i think 6 is a good, reasonably optimistic expectation.
With the time he is missing now, would Camp have the required number of matches? Not sure how that works.

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

McCabe will be helped by the fact that he has two winnable matches to round out the season. Cavallaris from Wisconsin is 0-3 in conference (2 by fall, 1 MD), and then he will have a big match against White from Northwestern (11-12, 3-4) in what should be a very competitive match. Hopefully he can show up on the road and get those 2 wins.
If McCabe beat these two, it wont really help him earn a bid, these two wresters will not be bid earners either. As Jarslov said McCabe earning a bid for the conference will be a long shot

With the time he is missing now, would Camp have the required number of matches? Not sure how that works.
i thot you could always enter the conference tournament and qualifying for the NCAAs no matter what, and that the 8 match minimum was to qualify the spot for your conference.

not sure though so if anyone knows, please do chime in.

Originally posted by Jaroslav Hasek:

i thot you could always enter the conference tournament and qualifying for the NCAAs no matter what, and that the 8 match minimum was to qualify the spot for your conference.

not sure though so if anyone knows, please do chime in.
Correct, you can be 0-0 and enter the conference tournament and "steal" a bid. You are correct you need 8 matches(that is the minimum to earn a bid).

Richie Lewis has committed to us and will be a Scarlet Knight. I think he is #1 at his weight.

I think it is a nice pickup, currently ranked #2 at 157 behind Yoanse Mejias. Still hope we can address our upper weights.

I have read some of the threads today and would like to comment,
I think camp may have back to early, but did not have a choice, surgery in June torn ACL back on mat big ten in January!
Gravina is a raw talent that will develop, but he to may have been to early!
The addition of RL is one of the toughest kids i seen wrestle.
I also have heard several others are considering heading back to the banks, WHY?
Probably because of the great fan support, the competitive nature of the wrestlers on the team. They have also been watching RU on Big Ten TV.
The team has improved and has become competitive.
We will get the recruits we need, and i hope we get the support of the Athletic department so they can continue to improve!

richie lewis is a very good wrestler and loves the sport. he's wrestling now at 157, but was recruited at 165? he'll contribute right away.

anyone else coming? we need help in 184 and 197.

Originally posted by RU93:
richie lewis is a very good wrestler and loves the sport. he's wrestling now at 157, but was recruited at 165? he'll contribute right away.

anyone else coming? we need help in 184 and 197.
I like that he has a win over Minnesota's Jake Short. Hope he can fill out to be a 165. I don't see how he would crack the starting lineup any other way.

A possibility as a recruit prospect could be P'burgs Heavyweight Nacho Nothnagle, his teammate , and long time friend is RU commit Brandon Paetzall (now 113, and out for season w broken hand). Smith has one more season after this. Nothnagle is a junior now, so the timing could be good. That said, I'm not sure how good our current, young Heavy's are. It does seem , going forward, that our last 3 weight classes are a big 'area or opportunity' to improve going forward. Hopefully guys like Messner, Normandia and some improve a lot the next few seasons. Bakuckas , being a soph, has a lot of upside. But even Coach G mentioned last week the upper weight classes need to get better.

Also, looking over our roster, it is NJ heavy, I realize that schollies are limited to something like 11 to spread around, and that an out of state kid pays a lot more in tuition, but somehow, the roster quality , especially at the higher weights, should be an area of focus. RU has done well w NJ kids Smith and Russo recently at Heavyweight.

Nothnagle is good, I like Brody Graham, Jackson Memorial (21-1) also a Junior. I would say on our current roster the best one is Wesley Bernard who is 7-10 this year with 2 wins against non D1 kids. Lex Knapp is on the roster but hasn't wrestled in 2 years, not sure what his deal is.

Our roster is NJ heavy because we're limited to 9.9 schollies that aren't fully funded with OOS tuition. Need full OOS funding to compete in the B1G so we can grab more PA, OH & NY kids, along with others.

Btw, it sucks that 2 of our recruits are out for the season & can't compete in states.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I am guessing that from attendance and other fund raising that the RU wrestling program should have a bigger budget this offseason. Since RU is now an ROTC has there been talk of brining in another coach.

Lips

We want to bring in 2 or 3 Olympic type coaches for SKWC but that takes money which we are trying to raise.

Any chance Scott can talk to Razohnn Gross? Didn't he project as one of the top 197 wrestlers out of HS? he is buried on the depth chart as a walk-on on the football team.

Originally posted by scarletNJ49:
Any chance Scott can talk to Razohnn Gross? Didn't he project as one of the top 197 wrestlers out of HS? he is buried on the depth chart as a walk-on on the football team.
Gross would be a great addition to our HWT. I bet he's better than Smith's backups.

A comforting link.

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/njcaa/157

This post was edited on 2/6 12:13 AM by RUbowls

Any word on open tournaments that our backups/red shirts are going to be competing in? Pretty sure they haven't wrestled in a tournament since 1/18. I know there are two open tournaments in PA this weekend but I can't find any Rutgers wrestlers registered.

So am i right in saying if Lewis cones here we will only have him from Jan next season and the whole following season?

Originally posted by Passe24:
So am i right in saying if Lewis cones here we will only have him from Jan next season and the whole following season?
Passe24- I believe Lewis will have 2 years of eligibility plus a redshirt year. He should be eligible right away next season, unless credits(grades etc) make him not eligible until Jan.

Any truth to the rumor I am hearing that Orr left the team a few weeks ago, upset that Vis was getting the starts with Gravina out?

Bill, did Visicaro beat Orr in a wrestle off to win the spot when Gravina became too injured to wrestle, OR did Coach G simply put Visi in ?

I was always under the impression that Orr was second on the depth chart at 165 behind Gravina.

Orr quitting had nothing to do with Visicaro as he quit 12/29 way before Gravina got hurt.

Originally posted by obrats:
Any truth to the rumor I am hearing that Orr left the team a few weeks ago, upset that Vis was getting the starts with Gravina out?
No.....more to this situation then just wrestle offs...many chances to make it right but didn't.

Wasn't 165 a really difficult weight cut for Orr as well?

Kind of sucks all the 'fun' out of it when you're worried about weight all the time.

I was wondering if their was any fifth year guys that could transfer to RU for a year. Kind of like Caruso a couple years ago. I think 184 or 197 would be the weights I was thinking about. Just a thought.

FYI
Richie Lewis finishes 3rd at National Juco Championships tournament
157 lbs.
1st - Yoanse Mejias (North Iowa Area CC) dec. Eleazar DeLuca (Clackamas CC), 4-3
3rd - Richie Lewis (Iowa Central CC) dec. Alex Rice (Labette CC), 5-2
5th - Mark Hobson (Northeast Oklahoma) dec. Tyler McLean (North Idaho College), 4-3
7th - Dom Ruggiero (Rowan College at Gloucester County) dec. Ryne Cokeley (Neosho County CC), 5-3

Lewis looks to have been caught by pin in the first round by the 8th place kid.

He's lost to the 1st place kid a few times this year, but that first round loss seems to have been a pretty big upset.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
Lewis looks to have been caught by pin in the first round by the 8th place kid.

He's lost to the 1st place kid a few times this year, but that first round loss seems to have been a pretty big upset.
Yeah Richie was winning the match 7-2 going into the 3rd period. Like you said got caught and pinned. Went into wresltebacks and pulled off 7 wins in a row. Wrestled the same kid that caught him and beat him 14-1 in wrestlebacks.

The kid every D1 team should be looking at is the 197 pounder Patrick Downey. Kid comes with baggage but is a pure talent. Was a undefeated 3 time state champ in high school, his senior year he didn't wrestle in HS but went to Colorado to work out at the OTC (same thing that Kyle Snyder did). I believe he got into some trouble and enrolled in a few different schools. I believe he has 3 years of eligibility left (no redshirt left). I don't expect him to go back to JUCO next season.

ADVERTISEMENT