ADVERTISEMENT

RU Wrestling: Where we are now.

Yes we know him very well and yes there is some baggage there. He likes RU but that is a high risk recruit.

wng

Are we looking to take that risk? Also, what's the latest on Suriano? I'm hearing a lot of Iowa chatter anytime I ask someone with ties to BC.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

OB...Brody Graham from Jackson is a Senior...I also saw where the State has him listed as a Jr...That's a mistake...Graham was a 1st team all-state Defensive end and will be attending University of Pennsylvania to play football...I think RU's next Hwt. big recruit will be So. Nick Rivera from Brick Mem. who pinned Graham last weekend in Region 6 final...Still think Bernard can be very good he's going to have another year behind Smith and is really going to build into 285lbs...That win in 1st round at NCO was very impressive against William Miller from Edinboro.

Update on our 2 Ohio commits. They had their District this past weekend, their district is like our Region (one step before states).

Kyle Kremiller who is a Sr. 195 pounder took first place winning 4 matches (9-4, 7-2, 12-3, 5-3 final) in the finals he wrestled a kid with last name Rowland who I am guessing is related to Tommy Rowland who is a former NCAA champ for Ohio State about 10-15 years ago (again that is a guess).

Alex Mackall is a Jr. at 120 pounds also took first winning all 4 of his matches via pin. In the finals he was down at one point 4-0 after the first period (I don't know the score at the time of pin) against the kid he beat in the state finals last year (yes he is returning state champ). His state bracket is loaded with talent, I think 3-4 top 20 ranked guys in the bracket.

Ohio State championships are this weekend and I saw on twitter that our staff (at least 2 of them) plans on being there for the tournament. There is plenty of talent in Ohio high school wrestling.

Update on our 2 Ohio commits as they are having their States this weekend (started yesterday). Ohio is not a one winner state like NJ. They have 3 different divisions, Kyle is D2 and Alex is D1 (larger schools - all your big boy Ohio teams).

Kyle Kremiller who is a Sr. 195 pounder is in the Semi Finals, he has won two matches in the states MD 14-5, and Dec 7-1.

Alex Mackall is a Jr. at 120 pounds is also in the Semi Finals with two very dominating wins TF 18-1, and Fall 2:57.

Wow, that is an eye opener. I did not know our Wrestling practice room was so tiny, what a disadvantage !
Originally posted by obrats:
Here is a good look at what MAY be the cause of some of our recruiting woes.

@Walsh_Wrestling: Alex Mackall wins by fall in the 2nd period to return to the State Championship Finals at 120lbs! @WJBNSports @a_mackall21 #cashinyourchips

@Wrestling_Perry: Kyle Kremiller advances onto the state finals with a semi-final victory score of 7-3

@Wrestling_Perry: KYLE KREMILLER WINS STATE IN TRIPLE OT!

Mackall fell short for his bid for 2nd State Championship. He lost to the kid he beat for the title last year and beat twice this year. Two very evenly matched kids.

Ok I owe this whole staff an apology. How they got any top 100 recruits to wrestle ar RU is accomplishment. I hope that this will be resolved by next year. That's a joke there are some highschool in NJ that have three mats in their practice room. It's a joke how RU has left the program at such a disadvantage.

Rutgers as a whole is just a very reactive place... It was always like that until Schiano came and started doing things out of box. Hopefully our leadership gets it and become more proactive.

What I understand is if the Wrestling team is forced to practice at The Barn, why can't they have the entire BB gym area for a few hours, where there is plenty of room for 4 mats at least ?

HS Nationals are going on now in Virginia. Each grade has its own tournament and our Ohio recruit Jr. Alex Mackall is 5-0 and in the semi finals of a weight that has over 100 wrestlers. His wins were as follows:

Fall 3:30
MD 9-1
Dec 4-3
TF 15-0
Fall 3:01

This post was edited on 3/28 2:56 PM by obrats

I see that Blake Rypel from Indianapolis Cathedral just beat Matt Correnti at Junior 195. I wonder if we are looking at him? $$$$

This post was edited on 3/28 8:03 PM by dollarbill

Finals are tomorrow Bill. I will keep you updated.

Saw that Rypel beat Correnti. Love to know if we are pursuing these guys.

Dean Sherry of Brick is in the finals against Dylan Wisman (who we were recruiting). To the best of my knowledge Sherry is not committed.

Unless I'm mistaken, Anthony Rubinetti has yet to commit anywhere (please correct me if I am wrong). He's in the finals @ 120 and has looked very good all year.

Has a win (via pin) over Agaisse this year.

Kid is a natural pinner and a whole lot of fun to watch. Wouldn't hurt to take a look at him. A diamond in the rough type of recruit, who has a good upside.

rubinetti looks impressive, he's pinned 5 guys to get to the finals. Where is Sam Cali going?

Different age Rubinetti is a Senior. Not sure where he is going to college but from what I could dig up he has been accepted to Northwestern and The Naval Academy. If it was my son and as big of a RU fan I am I would nudge him to The Naval Academy.

Originally posted by obrats:
Different age Rubinetti is a Senior. Not sure where he is going to college but from what I could dig up he has been accepted to Northwestern and The Naval Academy. If it was my son and as big of a RU fan I am I would nudge him to The Naval Academy.
Two very fine schools, indeed.

Kid has been running through this tournament like a buzz saw. And to think, Yanni Diakmohalils (sp?) tech'd him a couple weeks ago. Either Rubinetti had a horrible match, or Yanni is just that good. Probably a little bit of both.

This post was edited on 3/29 1:27 PM by belushijo

Re: RU Wrestling: OBrats

When you have some free time can your repost your updated Roster/Recruit list? I enjoy seeing who is coming in and where we still need to fill some spots.

Thank you,

Mackall just lost 4-2. Was a good match.

Scoreless 1st, other kid down in the 2nd Mackall throws in legs but kid fights that off and gets 1. Mackall in on a good shot very close to a takedown and period expired. 3rd Mackall bottom they scramble and other kid gets a 2 count and Mackall gets a reversal. Spends too long trying to turn the kid instead of letting him up and going for a takedown. They go out of bounds with 5 sec left Mackall gives him escape but can't get the takedown.

Anyone catch the Jalaal Darwish match at the NHSCA Juniors?

Not one to complain about officiating, but that guy was just terrible. It's not right when the ref plays the main role in determining the winner of a match like that. Called stalling like it was going out of style, which is surprising because the entire weekend it seemed like the refs were very hesitant to call stalling as much as they should. Very inconsistent officiating all weekend, at all levels. They have some issues to address for next year.

Jalaal was clearly the better wrestler, but it's hard to win when the ref gives your opponent 3 points.

Originally posted by RUMatFan:
When you have some free time can your repost your updated Roster/Recruit list? I enjoy seeing who is coming in and where we still need to fill some spots.

Thank you,
I will work on the sheet (fell behind with the recruits) and post in a day or two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT