ADVERTISEMENT

Russo Strong day 1

Similar praise from 247.

Barton Simmons, director of scouting for the site, tweeted that Russo is "growing on me alot".

He links a message board post he writes, and says the 3 biggest standouts from this morning are Russo, Jett Duffey (Texas Tech Commit) and Jarrett Guarantano.

Nice praise!

Here's some snippets from The Oregonian:

"Pair of 3-star passers getting some buzz from analysts on sidelines: #MichiganState commit @Siah_10 and #Rutgers commit @Anthony_Russo15."

"Elite 11: Top player was #FSU commit Malik Henry, but Dwayne Haskins Jr., Shea Patterson solid: oregonlive.com/recruiting/ind… #Terps #HottyToddy"

"Elite 11: FSU commit Malik Henry (@malik_henry16) , Maryland pledge Dwayne Haskins Jr. (@dh_simba7) shine early s.oregonlive.com/6rTVmAG"

"Ole Miss commit Shea Patterson (@SheaPatterson_1), Vols pledge Jarrett Guaratano (@Guarantano18) look crisp early: s.oregonlive.com/6rTVmAG"

"Malik Henry Shea Patterson Dwayne Haskins Jr. + Jarrett Guarantano great early (@malik_henry16, @dh_simba7, @SheaPatterson_1, @Guarantano18)"

"Could make good argument #Vols have two best QBs at #Elite11. Current QB Joshua Dobbs looks great & pledge Jarrett Guarantano spinning it."

Andrew Nemec | The Oregonian/OregonLive 49 minutes ago

"Brandon Peters looked really sound in the limited time I saw him, but I didn't get to see him as much as others. Clearly, he also did quite well this morning.
Still, Henry, Patterson, Guarantano and Haskins Jr. were the stars of the morning."

Similar praise from 247.

Barton Simmons, director of scouting for the site, tweeted that Russo is "growing on me alot".

He links a message board post he writes, and says the 3 biggest standouts from this morning are Russo, Jett Duffey (Texas Tech Commit) and Jarrett Guarantano.

Nice praise!

I'm starting to feel like we made out like a bandit with Russo.

I'm starting to feel like we made out like a bandit with Russo.

Likewise. watching him on interviews, kid seems humble but also a fun kid to be around who is just enjoying the process and taking full advantage of this opportunity, good for him. keep it going AR

For the first time I have hope that this kid can sway some high profile recruits.Praise at a camp like this goes a long way in the eyes of the public

Reactions: Bagarocks
Win, lose or draw, one thing is for certain. AR is one of the elite QB recruits in this class and is proving that he fits in with the best of the best.

Afternoon session started at 4pm local time. Will try to post comments as they come in to the Oregonian. Hope AR has productive session . Haskins and JG have received a lot of praise but they came in highly touted. AR has to be that much better to make an impression .

I too am psyched about Russo, I think the stars are aligned where we have a QB that everyone can get behind, but isn't coming in as a savior and will have to deal with the Savagesque pressure. I for one hope his ranking remains low and he comes here with lots to prove and a ton of support.

Reactions: trentonrufan
Last edited:
I'd say the 247 article is giving very high praise. Sounds like most of the guys are simply confirming what people already knew about them as prospects and their place in the pecking order, while AR is potentially moving up the board and leap frogging guys. Best of luck kid.

What do the current college players do at the Elite 11/Opening? Are they there to just camp and work on things? Tutor the current recruits?

Suppose it might be possible that some of the other recruiting targets who are out at this event might take notice?????

and maybe they get the same sense of a guy who 'exudes leadership and inspires confidence' - that Trent Dilfer highlighted in his conversations about Russo?

How are these rankings determined? It seems everyone has a different opinion on who has the best performance thus far, although for the most part they have nothing but praise for all 11.

Edit: All I know is that AR is better because he's committed to RU.

How are these rankings determined? It seems everyone has a different opinion on who has the best performance thus far, although for the most part they have nothing but praise for all 11.

Edit: All I know is that AR is better because he's committed to RU.

I don't know by that came straight from the Elite 11 account.

Looks like we got a good one, as good as the guys we missed on. The question is - how did the guys who do the grading miss so badly on Russo. Is he really just much better in a camp situation than on the field? Whats the deal.

Reactions: j10oreo
Looks like we got a good one, as good as the guys we missed on. The question is - how did the guys who do the grading miss so badly on Russo. Is he really just much better in a camp situation than on the field? Whats the deal.

That's what I've heard. Didn't play well against tough opponents last season but doing very well in camps. Seems to have improved.

He only was a starter last year, so they didn't have much to go by.

Only started last year, on a run first team, hard to rate a QB who is not given many chances to pass, plus many of the raters consider who has offered the kid when giving out stars

That's what I've heard. Didn't play well against tough opponents last season but doing very well in camps. Seems to have improved.
And how did JG perform on the field? His career numbers: 55% completions, 12 TD, 13 INT, 48 yards per game. But he really shined in the big games . Led team to 44-7 loss to Paramus Cathohlic, and 49-20 and 31-14 losses to St. Peters. But he really put on a show in BC's 10-3 win over Bosco and 14-10 win over St. Edwards of Ohio.

Hers' some on-site twitter comments from the Oregonian as Russo performs his reps this morning (in reverse chronological order; last throw first):

"Russo nearly picked over the middle "instagram.com/p/42Dm6XIXCU/
"Russo goes short again. Dilfer says he missed a read. Positive yards and not INT though"
"Anthony Russo another short toss. This one a TD"
"Russo marching team down the field, leading WRs to open space"
"Anthony Russo with a nice swing pass but dropped"

"Rutgers commit Anthony Russo is having a great week so far. Definitely expect his star rating to rise. Acts and plays like he belongs."

Last edited:
And how did JG perform on the field? His career numbers: 55% completions, 12 TD, 13 INT, 48 yards per game. But he really shined in the big games . Led team to 44-7 loss to Paramus Cathohlic, and 49-20 and 31-14 losses to St. Peters. But he really put on a show in BC's 10-3 win over Bosco and 14-10 win over St. Edwards of Ohio.

Never said anything about JG and have never seen him play or seen his statistics.

No one has been eliminated. All 18 are participating in 7 on 7 drills this morning.

He only was a starter last year, so they didn't have much to go by.

Only started last year, on a run first team, hard to rate a QB who is not given many chances to pass, plus many of the raters consider who has offered the kid when giving out stars
Yep, that pretty much nailed it. Because he only started last year, many of the other 2016 QB's had already had a lot of exposure.

ADVERTISEMENT