ADVERTISEMENT

Russo Strong day 1

So far, #1 rated and Georgia commit, Jacob Eason has been the star of the morning session. Shane Buechele, the leader going into today, also had a terrific 7-7 session (3 Tds on 5-6 completions)

Last edited:
Stats from last year for AR.

In 2014, Russo threw for 1,551 yards and 22 TDs (to only 3 INTs), in his team's pro-style offense, leading to a 14-1 record (4-0) and PIAA AAA state championship.

He is going to have a monster senior season.

Stats from last year for AR.

In 2014, Russo threw for 1,551 yards and 22 TDs (to only 3 INTs), in his team's pro-style offense, leading to a 14-1 record (4-0) and PIAA AAA state championship.

He is going to have a monster senior season.

- certainly hope so - but it will also depend on the talent around him ... and that is not a shot at him .. it is simply a reiteration of basically what some great QBs have said - a QB is rarely as great as they end up looking nor as bad - it is dramatically amplified by the cast around them - neither the credit nor the blame is full deserved...
My hope would be that he looks good - learns a whole, whole lot and stays incredibly healthy!

- certainly hope so - but it will also depend on the talent around him ... and that is not a shot at him .. it is simply a reiteration of basically what some great QBs have said - a QB is rarely as great as they end up looking nor as bad - it is dramatically amplified by the cast around them - neither the credit nor the blame is full deserved...
My hope would be that he looks good - learns a whole, whole lot and stays incredibly healthy!

I respectfully disagree.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, and Aaron Rodgers end up in the playoffs just about every year. It isn't because they always have the best supporting casts.

I respectfully disagree.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, and Aaron Rodgers end up in the playoffs just about every year. It isn't because they always have the best supporting casts.

-
I believe that the comments that I was paraphrasing have actually been made by a few of these QBs - Yes, those guys are excellent QBs and they elevate their teams - but they will be the first to tell you that they count on the ten other guys on the field to get to their common goal.
- my point was in response to the comment that Russo should have a 'monster performance' this coming season - and I certainly hope so - but in reality, I do not know whether the rest of the team will still be at that "State Championship" level that they were at last year - Russo could have a remarkable improvement in his skills & strength and yet, because it is a team sport, his individual improvement might not be readily apparent in the statistics. I hope he does well - and stays healthy- and learns an enormous amount.

Players are starting to arrive for The Opening and there is lots of chatter within the Twitterverse. There is so much talent here and no mention of RU-not even a visit. Hopefully AR didn't play his way out of the Elite 11 Finals today and maybe we'll have one more surprise.

I respectfully disagree.

The pros and CFB don't necessarily play the same way even though it's the same sport. The supporting cast is extremely important.

This guy disagrees:

@PaulMyerberg- "Most impressive QBs at Elite 11, day two: deWeaver, Peters, Starkel, Buechele, Russo."
It is interesting to read Simmons' comments in the NJ.com piece which were much more effusive than his 1-8 rankings that I linked to earlier. As for Myerberg, anybody who left Eason out after his performance today loses all credibility. Are you sure he was referring to today; a lot of writers referred to today as day 3, some said day 2.

Anyone else starting to worry about all the other colleges that will go after Russo from now until February ?

It is interesting to read Simmons' comments in the NJ.com piece which were much more effusive than his 1-8 rankings that I linked to earlier. As for Myerberg, anybody who left Eason out after his performance today loses all credibility. Are you sure he was referring to today; a lot of writers referred to today as day 3, some said day 2.

I'll tell you, reading through this thread, you sure don't sound like an RU fan. Maybe switch your username to RU Buzzkill to better reflect your posts.

Reactions: rurahrah000
I'll tell you, reading through this thread, you sure don't sound like an RU fan. Maybe switch your username to RU Buzzkill to better reflect your posts.
Whaaaat? Since I live here in Portland I've been trying to give you as much information as it is being reported by The Oregonian as it happens. They have a number of observers on the scene as well as tapping into Twitter. The comments that I've put in quotes are not mine, but the observers. Most of the stuff has been very positive and reflects Russo's good showing. One of the commentators who has thought very highly of AR put out a list of the best of Tuesday. All I did was report that AR was not in his top 8 today . His evaluation not mine. We still haven't seen the staff's rankings after today. That's the evaluation that matters.

Here's The Oregonian's assessment of Tuesday's best performers.

Spoiler Alert- Cranford Knight and rurahrah000 should not open the link

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/07/the_opening_elite_11_top_quart.html#0

I don't care what some dick wagon from the Oregonian has to say. After yesterday, the Oregonian listed their top 5 and also had 3 honorable mentions... with no Russo. Then I saw the Elite 11 issued a top 11 and Russo was 4th. 247 also praised Russo.

Reactions: Rokodesh

Why not link this which IS ACTUAL POSITIVE INFORMATION on Russo:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...inals_day_2_rutgers_quarterback_commit_a.html

+1 - Meyerberg is a CFB National writer for USAToday.
I don't care what some dick wagon from the Oregonian has to say. After yesterday, the Oregonian listed their top 5 and also had 3 honorable mentions... with no Russo. Then I saw the Elite 11 issued a top 11 and Russo was 4th. 247 also praised Russo.
I'm not defending The Oregonian. They have no dog in this fight; no Ducks or Beavs are represented. I'm simply reporting what a relatively objective source has to report based on their observations. I should note that our own Toderick Hunt has cited to their coverage in his reports.

I couldn't agree more that the only evaluation that matters is what the Elite 11 staff has to say- not Meyerber6 ,247 or whomever, but their views are generally helpful in getting a bigger picture. . For those who wish to eliminate the Oregonian from that perspective, go ahead.

I'm not defending The Oregonian. They have no dog in this fight; no Ducks or Beavs are represented. I'm simply reporting what a relatively objective source has to report based on their observations. I should note that our own Toderick Hunt has cited to their coverage in his reports.

I couldn't agree more that the only evaluation that matters is what the Elite 11 staff has to say- not Meyerber6 ,247 or whomever, but their views are generally helpful in getting a bigger picture. . For those who wish to eliminate the Oregonian from that perspective, go ahead.

You linked stories that do not mention Russo instead of the article that you mentioned which does discuss him. I agree with the assessments of Cranford and rurahrah.

On page 1 of this thread there are posts of mine which link to positive comments about Russo including a video. Since others of you linked to additional comments on Russo, there was no need for me to link to those, but I've referred to them. I don't deny that I've linked to other stories that don't mention him, but that was not to denigrate Russo, but to give those who might be interested some idea how others are doing as well. More importantly, those observations aren't mine. So it's ok to read comments from Barton Simmons when he praises Russo, but not when he leaves him off his best of the day post. I understand now. So if this is about shooting the messenger , than you guys really are assholes. Fire away.

You're just proving my point. It's like point/counterpoint with you. Someone posts a positive assessment about AR, you run to find a negative so we don't get too excited. Buzzkill.
And you prove mine. I reported nothing negative about AR. No one trashed him or said anything bad about him. All 18 of these guys are very good qbs. AR had an outstanding day on Monday as evidenced by his #4 ranking by the Elite 11 staff. Today , according to Bart Simmons, who everybody loved yesterday, and the Oregonian , there were guys who did better than AR. If you can't accept that and only want to hear only good news, then that's your prerogative as it is the prerogative of those observers who see it differently. I think we can agree that the only assessments that really matter, in the short term, are what Dilfer and his staff think and a Top 11 finish is what I am rooting for.

To the folks that keep saying Russo's stats in game are not so good.

Please explain to me what the difference between his junior stats and tom savage's were in HS? Savage was in elite 11 and ranked 4 stars. Russo seems to be doing well and may be in the elite 11.

Savage Jr Year: 7 games played, 72 of 136 ( 53.9%) , 909 yards, 8 TDs
Savage Sr Year: 9 games played, 94 of 184 (51.1%), 1268 yards, 10 TDs

Russo Jr Year: 9 games played, 70 of 124 (56.5%), 1248 yards, 20 TDs
Russo Sr Year: He will play his senior season this fall.

Was Savage's competition THAT much better than Russo's?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tom Savage is an NFL quarterback. The other QBs mentioned in the thread by one poster somehow (I don't get it) relating back to a point made on Russo were Tom Brady Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck...

Long story short comparing high school QBs yet to play their senior year in high school to NFL quarterbacks is a useless activity. Using these players career paths, physical strengths, or any other of their metrics to defend Russo in any way is flat out absurd. These guys mentioned are either an exception to the rule, or the best QBs in NFL history let alone college, not 17 year old kids.

The hope is Russo can become an average college starter. If we're lucky he'll be above average. Anything less and he will be placed in the group of 99% of high school football recruits who don't pan out to anything. Anything more is a bonus.

---------------

six passes on this day.....don't lose any sleep on it
That's exactly right, which is why I can't understand all of the finger pointing. Russo threw 6 passes today as did everybody else. The fact that some of these observers have evaluated them differently and saw something to like in one over another will not determine the outcome of this competition. The real work lies ahead.

Like I've been saying, its what Dilfer and his staff think that counts. Right now Russo has moved up to #2 in their rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT