ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Academic Building on Seminary Pl

RU G

Sophomore
Sep 26, 2004
The new RAB building is rising quickly on Seminary Place.
RAB_zpsbxall4ht.jpg

Thanks for posting G....I hope to get some new photos this week and post...

Originally posted by Cofifa:
Thanks for posting G....I hope to get some new photos this week and post...
Could you also post the renderings?

I don't recall seeing what the finished product is supposed to look like.

Almost wish I was an incoming frosh in 2016 as opposed to 1996... I cannot believe how much the campus has changed!

Thanks Matt
+1

Now...

Is there a birdseye rendering where we can see this and the Honor's College in the same shot? Not a side by side.

Originally posted by lawmatt78:
I don't know about a bird's eye rendering, but there's this:

10723946_794926280594201_1533390813_n.jpg
Even better. Thank you.

So to orient me correctly here...

The building on the left is the one in OP and the Honors College is to the right, yes?

With Willie the Silent bottom center?

This post was edited on 4/1 7:39 AM by e5fdny

Originally posted by e5fdny:

Even better. Thnak you.

The building on the left is the one in OP and the Honors College is to the right, yes?

Depends what left about which you are referring. The far left is the new seminary building. The building under construction in the center is the one in the OP.

Here's another rendering from further down Seminary Place. The one farthest left in this picture is the one with all of the iron going up in lawmatt's photo. There will be a center courtyard that will slant uphill between the two new academic buildings. In the distance of the below photo, you can see the new honors college as well.

overlay_theplans.jpg

This post was edited on 3/31 4:37 PM by RUseaweed

Even better. Thnak you.

That's correct. Looks impressive.

In the aerial photo:

The new seminary building is on the far left
Academic building is in the middle, under construction
Honors college is on the right, nearing completion
Voorhees Mall is at the bottom

Originally posted by RUseaweed:

Even better. Thank you.

Depends what left about which you are referring. The far left is the new seminary building. The building under construction in the center is the one in the OP.

Here's another rendering from further down Seminary Place. The one farthest left in this picture is the one with all of the iron going up in lawmatt's photo. There will be a center courtyard that will slant uphill between the two new academic buildings. In the distance of the below photo, you can see the new honors college as well.

ec

Thanks.

The one with he semicircle driveway in front?

Originally posted by RUKeystone:

Even better. Thank you.

It does. We are starting to "look" the part...

Even better. Thnak you.

That parking lot looks so out of place now. Were they insistent on remaining on their historic site, because jeez - we have alot of land on the other three campuses that could have easily fit this complex.

I suspect there was no way they would walk away from the Sage Library building and the spot they have been in for 160 of their 230 years. Not to mention being in the heart of the Rutgers College Ave campus and NB is probably a nice recruiting and marketing strength.

But I agree the parking lot is unfortunate. Hopefully landscaping will have some impact (even minimal) on the space.

Originally posted by derleider:

Even better. Thank you.

That parking lot looks so out of place now. Were they insistent on remaining on their historic site, because jeez - we have alot of land on the other three campuses that could have easily fit this complex.
The one in the front or back?

And agree with Scarlet Pride about the landscaping....why does it seems RU does not use some LA students at Cook to do some of this in house for their projects?

Yes the Seminary insisted on staying on their site and including parking. Since they have owned the property since 1815 and Rutgers has never been able to purchase the property the Seminary held all the cards. Devco was fortunate to have struck the deal we did . The landscape archetects for the project is the team that did the Olympic Park in London. nice design hopefully Rutgers will be able to maintain it.

Even better. Thank you.

The one in the front or back?

And agree with Scarlet Pride about the landscaping....why does it seems RU does not use some LA students at Cook to do some of this in house for their projects?
Because we don't. Rutgers seems reluctant to tap into this "free" labor.

was walking in Voorhees mall the other day and took this picture
Rutgers%20Project%20Photos_20150402_0159_zpsyfmunyyl.jpg

This post was edited on 4/8 3:52 PM by RU G

Thanks to everyone with the latest pictures. That area is coming together nicely. I love the architecture. It really blends in nicely to all of the older buildings. I still can't believe this is the first academic building built on CA since 1961.

Scott Hall was built in 1961 there has not been another Academic Building built on College Ave since then. President Barchi deserves credit for modifying the design of the Academic Building, in fact he personally drew the roof lines to add a more traditional element . He has a great eye and a pleasure to work with. I also give tremendous credit to Tony Calcado who has lent tremendous support through the process. These projects we hope are transformational and establishes College Ave as the heart of the University.

This post was edited on 4/8 10:09 PM by Cofifa

Scott Hall was built in 1961 there has not been another Academic Building built on College Ave since then. President Barchi deserves credit for modifying the design of the Academic Building, in fact he personally drew the roof lines to add a more traditional element . He has a great eye and a pleasure to work with. I also give tremendous credit to Tony Calcado who has lent tremendous support through the process. These projects we hope are transformational and establishes College Ave as the heart of the University.

This post was edited on 4/8 10:09 PM by Cofifa
Was the original design for a flat-top building?

Once the Seminary Hill and Lot 8 projects are complete, I really hope they can find a way to fast-track development of the new quad (new dining hall, student center, etc) where Brower, Stonier, Records, etc, are now. Get that done and Barchi would be remembered as the president who made Rutgers look like a great university.

(this in spite of all the crap people give him about athletics, where he gets a bad rap IMO).

As am I - it would be amazing to get that done and the momentum is there. Barchi does get a bad rap on athletics and it's clear he's focused and has a vision. I hope he gets the ball rolling on the next stage before he retires as you never know what the next guy will do.

Originally posted by Scarlet16E:
Once the Seminary Hill and Lot 8 projects are complete, I really hope they can find a way to fast-track development of the new quad (new dining hall, student center, etc) where Brower, Stonier, Records, etc, are now. Get that done and Barchi would be remembered as the president who made Rutgers look like a great university.

(this in spite of all the crap people give him about athletics, where he gets a bad rap IMO).
Gotta agree there. College Ave. has desperately needed a new look for many years and it finally is starting to look like a B1G university should.

Yes the Seminary insisted on staying on their site and including parking. Since they have owned the property since 1815 and Rutgers has never been able to purchase the property the Seminary held all the cards. Devco was fortunate to have struck the deal we did . The landscape architects for the project is the team that did the Olympic Park in London. nice design hopefully Rutgers will be able to maintain it.
Well I won't complain about that choice. LOL

But I do wonder why we don't use the LA kids from Cook for some smaller stuff around the different campuses...

"This berm/swale with plantings designed by _______ (insert SEBS LA student's name here)"

Seems to me this could be the right thing to do (or at least try) on many levels.

This is key. I'm guessing Devco will be involved again.

And agree about Barchi. He's been underrated by some.

Underrated is an understatement. There have been plenty of people on this board who have called for his outright firing because he wouldnt throw tens of millions of dollars at athletics with no revenue or donations to back it up.

Hard to believe that no new academic buildings since 1961 (and other than Easton Ave Apts, any new housing?) and now the seminary and grease truck projects.!

I hope they keep rolling, i really loved the new QUAD plan replacing the Student Center, BRower and Records Hall.

Re: Thank God!

Finally some improvements on the long neglected heart of Rutgers. Find that billionaire to contribute $100 Million plus to the beautification of College Ave. and name it after him -- The xx College Ave. Campus.

Underrated is an understatement. There have been plenty of people on this board who have called for his outright firing because he wouldnt throw tens of millions of dollars at athletics with no revenue or donations to back it up.
I am a big fan of Barchi, primarily for his vision on academics and what he is doing to beef up research at Rutgers. I wasn't aware that he was so hands-on regarding capital improvements (I don't know whether to be happy that he redesigned the roof lines, or concerned that he had to). Quite honestly, despite the protests from the narrow interests on the football board, Barchi might end up being one of the most influential presidents this university has seen in a long time.

Agree with both Der and Upstream.

Der - yes, I was definitely putting it mildly. There is unfounded hate by him by some w/ a very narrow view of the university.

There is still a small, but incredibly vocal, contingency that will scream bloody murder about Pernetti...when he really did do something wrong...ironically the heat died on Mulcahey in a week or two when he was the one that really got steamrolled.

There is some overlap between that group and the other that thinks RU is the Giants/Jets/Eagles in red uniforms.

Otherwise I think most get it, and also see how much better campus and academics are getting, and that outside MBB and a few other sports, we are performing at or better than expectations, especially considering the financials right now.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
There is still a small, but incredibly vocal, contingency that will scream bloody murder about Pernetti...when he really did do something wrong...ironically the heat died on Mulcahey in a week or two when he was the one that really got steamrolled.

There is some overlap between that group and the other that thinks RU is the Giants/Jets/Eagles in red uniforms.

Otherwise I think most get it, and also see how much better campus and academics are getting, and that outside MBB and a few other sports, we are performing at or better than expectations, especially considering the financials right now.
Agree.

And derleider, you meant the FB Board, right? I don't see that so much here.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:

Agree.

And derleider, you meant the FB Board, right? I don't see that so much here.
NIRH - that is the irony. Although to be fair, this board did purchase a full page ad to defend Mulcahey.

e5 - yes - I mean the site as a whole, not specifically this board, which is pretty much the exact opposite.

ADVERTISEMENT