ADVERTISEMENT

**Rutgers Athletics extends apparel deal with Adidas**

I hope the terms are better in this contract. Because we got bent over on the last one.

We have little leverage to command terrific terms compared to more successful athletic departments.
Look at the numbers provided above. You can’t tell me most of the perennial bottom feeders of the B1G are worth 3-6x over our deal. Not even going to compare to the higher end deals.

Reactions: letitrip2
Look at the numbers provided above. You can’t tell me most of the perennial bottom feeders of the B1G are worth 3-6x over our deal. Not even going to compare to the higher end deals.
Apparently they are per potential revenue projections made by Nike, Adidas, Under Armour etc... These are not stupid companies in the business of running a charity for Rutgers athletics.

They have an expectation that they will recoup a good portion of their investment mostly via licensing royalties received from merchandise sales and "free" advertising when their products are showcased i.e worn by teams and well-known top players in televised events and big-games. When Rutgers proves on the field / court of play and sales of merchandise, that they are worth an increased investment then $ terms will improve.

I thought there was already a Nike deal in place, and that we were moving on from Addidas? Anyway this stinks - was not crazy about Addidas RU merch, and like Nike stuff a lot better.

We have little leverage to command terrific terms compared to more successful athletic departments.
LMAO at your post . We only get $1.7 million per year and Illinois gets $45 million for 10 years.
Hobbs better up his game this time.

Apparently they are per potential revenue projections made by Nike, Adidas, Under Armour etc... These are not stupid companies in the business of running a charity for Rutgers athletics.

They have an expectation that they will recoup a good portion of their investment mostly via licensing royalties received from merchandise sales and "free" advertising when their products are showcased i.e worn by teams and well-known top players in televised events and big-games. When Rutgers proves on the field / court of play and sales of merchandise, that they are worth an increased investment then $ terms will improve.
I get that we don’t deserve top line numbers that Michigan and Ohio State are demanding. But we should be more in line with Indiana and Illinois. Didn’t say that it’s a charity but it shouldn’t be this deep a discount either. All this shows is how horribly the department was run in relation to licensing agreements and product availability. We are finally seeing higher end items. And better merchandise.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT