ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Becoming More Selective

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
Aren't applications down across the board? Less people are willing to pay laughably increasing tuition for pathetically decreasing salaries. I was just talking to an intern at my office and she told me that most people at her pretty respected school are still graduating without jobs.

I thought the idea of the merger was to essentially prevent the RU law schools from competing with each other...which in the end should result in lower acceptance.

It is sad that the same Temple scholarship issue is in play...this was the case when I applied in the fall of 2006 and SHU was undercutting RU-N as well.

I guess my questions would be, are Barchi and other higher ups aware of the gravity of this phenonmenon, and what is their solution beyond the merger?

With Barchi's plan (as dictated by Trenton) to not take on more debt, who is going to step up? The obvious solution to me is a new, small, NB based school. Will RU take on debt for academics?
If Barchi and other higher-ups have a solution beside the merger, they have yet to say so. And yes, every school is down, but the sharp diminution we had after the Rowan affair means that we have been exceptionally hurt.

I would think the merger would make it less likely that the university would want an NB law school. Beside, law schools are o longer cash cows and so it is not in RU's interest to spend over $100 MM developing a new school.

That's a fair point, but the legal economy will get better, just won't be what it once was. NJ still need lawyers, and to cede that role to SHU and OOS schools, I don't agree with.

I should add that even while applications are decreasing, the central administration insists that we not cut the size of the entering class. You do the math.

On my drive in this morning I was listening to Bloomberg on SiriusXM. The first story I hear is the linked NJ.com article, and they only mentioned Rutgers getting more applicants. I realize Bloomberg is based out of NYC, but living in Los Angeles it brightened my day.

NJ.com Article

Interesting stuff.

More important part will be the quality of students, but the general trend appears to be that the more "selective" (ie: how many kids you reject) you are the better your students.

Originally posted by RUseaweed:
Article from the Targum. Good quote below:

"McAnuff said the class of 2019 has an average SAT score of 1881, which is 16 points higher than last year and 350 points higher than the national average."

They include some stats for SEBS, but I wish they would have included ones for Engineering too.

This post was edited on 2/19 7:07 PM by RUseaweed
Is that criteria for ALL students?

Originally posted by hawkssox1:
Article from the Targum. Good quote below:

"McAnuff said the class of 2019 has an average SAT score of 1881, which is 16 points higher than last year and 350 points higher than the national average."

They include some stats for SEBS, but I wish they would have included ones for Engineering too.

This post was edited on 2/19 7:07 PM by RUseaweed
Is that criteria for ALL students?
the article does not deal with what the criteria are, but rather what the average is for the entering freshman class at New Brunswick. So far as I could tell, all incoming freshmen are included in the calculation.

Have the NJ.com commenters found religion?

kerry777 9 hours ago

@squanny72 You have to be crazy to go to an out-of-state state school over Rutgers, with a few exceptions.
Flag[/URL]Share[/URL]Like[/URL]Reply[/URL]

Archduke F 9 hours ago

@squanny72 This is true. Most state schools are no better than Rutgers.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
Have the NJ.com commenters found religion?

kerry777 9 hours ago

@squanny72 You have to be crazy to go to an out-of-state state school over Rutgers, with a few exceptions.

Flag[/URL]Share[/URL]Like[/URL]Reply[/URL]

Archduke F 9 hours ago

@squanny72 This is true. Most state schools are no better than Rutgers.

Can I get an AMEN! LOL

But like in recruiting...Rutgers is NOT for everyone. And sometmes we just need to respect their choice.

Another article. Similar content, but two cool things that I hadn't seen previously mentioned:

"We have a double-digit (increase) in every Big Ten state with the exception of Ohio, which is level."

"The impact is being felt across the board as applications to Mason Gross School of Arts (20 percent), Rutgers Business School (12 percent) and the School of Engineering (10 percent) are rising quickly. Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark applications are up more than 10 percent in-state and out of state, McAnuff said."

Mar 30 APP Article

Wish the increase in applications also was true of the law schools. . . but otherwise this is very good news. Rutgers-Camden in particular would like more and better students. It shows what high university officials have believed for well over a decade: that the conference to be in was the B1G.
Another article. Similar content, but two cool things that I hadn't seen previously mentioned:

"We have a double-digit (increase) in every Big Ten state with the exception of Ohio, which is level."

"The impact is being felt across the board as applications to Mason Gross School of Arts (20 percent), Rutgers Business School (12 percent) and the School of Engineering (10 percent) are rising quickly. Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark applications are up more than 10 percent in-state and out of state, McAnuff said."

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:
Wish the increase in applications also was true of the law schools. . . but otherwise this is very good news. Rutgers-Camden in particular would like more and better students. It shows what high university officials have believed for well over a decade: that the conference to be in was the B1G.

Not sure if I follow you guys here...

the Camden and Newark uptick is due to the B1G?

Plus the uptick in international students, law students, arts students (really - thats a demo that tends to be gaga over sports) and at other NJ schools that aren't even Rutgers.

I think that the B10 raised RU's profile, and some kids (esp. midwest kids) are looking at all RU campuses. I stated this in the nursing school ranking thread, but a co-worker from Minnesota in my company contacted me about RU-NB and RU-Newark. His granddaughter has Rutgers as her no.1 choice for nursing school (this is a kid in Minnesota) and is trying to narrow her choice down between the different schools

Originally posted by e5fdny:

It could well be. What happens in New Brunswick has a coat tail effect on what happens at the other campuses. The B1G membership has raised the profile of Rutgers generally, including the "satellite" campuses.

Originally posted by derleider:
Plus the uptick in international students, law students, arts students (really - thats a demo that tends to be gaga over sports) and at other NJ schools that aren't even Rutgers.
The arts students at RU really aren't too keen on sports.

I am curious about how the increase of OOS applicants will affect the growth of Greek Life.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

It could well be. What happens in New Brunswick has a coat tail effect on what happens at the other campuses. The B1G membership has raised the profile of Rutgers generally, including the "satellite" campuses.
Does anybody have the data on the effect of this phenomenon on the Penn State campuses after they got into the B1G?

ed - tat would be harder to come by (its been 25 years now) and probably less of an effect if there is one, because PSU was playing big boy level football before they went to the Big Ten.

For the rest, RU has only about 500 Midwestern kids enrolled. So maybe 600 apply a year if that (for RU as a whole about 20% of kids who apply end up at the school). So it wouldnt be surprising if RU had increased its appeal to Midwesterners. But a 20% increase there is only 120 extra students applying. Out of half a million graduate of Midwestern HSs its not that unbelievable that increased coverage of RU would have turned on 100-150 kids to the school that wouldnt have previously have thought to apply there.

But that demographic isnt nearly enough to account for the big increase, even among OOS applicants.

There are two potential effects of the Big Ten.

1. Is increased profile. Being in the BIg Ten brings news coverage, etc. But RU, as the top school in the state, is already about as high profile as its going to get. No HS senior in NJ with top 100 school ambitions isn't aware of RU. They might have written it off for various reasons, but they still know of it. Thats as opposed to the Midwest, where they might literally know nothing about RU, or think that RU is a small private school, etc.

2. Better sports schedules brings the prospect of having a better time. But as I said on the free board, that was already largely the case versus the schools we compete most against. RU has better sports than everyone in the region except Cuse, MD, and PSU. And it wouldnt explain the increase at Newark and Camden.

I think its simply that people are becoming more cost conscience, as the recession drags on among new graduates. RU has spent alot of money to make itself a better option. The Big Ten is a part of that, but almost surely a small one. It reinforces the narrative RU is trying to spin about itself, but it doesn't make that narrative.

Think about the Livingston Apartments. They opened in Fall 2012. That means kids applying for 2013 really didnt get to experience them. A kind applying for 2014 did however - they would get to see them, and get feedback from older kids who came back for breaks that RU was much more livable.

People have a kind of magical thinking about athletics. That we can do what would normally take hundreds of millions of dollars with just a few tens of millions of dollars (or even ZERO dollars via entering the Big Ten). Logic tells you that that isn't the case.

Originally posted by derleider:

ed - tat would be harder to come by (its been 25 years now) and probably less of an effect if there is one, because PSU was playing big boy level football before they went to the Big Ten.

For the rest, RU has only about 500 Midwestern kids enrolled. So maybe 600 apply a year if that (for RU as a whole about 20% of kids who apply end up at the school). So it wouldnt be surprising if RU had increased its appeal to Midwesterners. But a 20% increase there is only 120 extra students applying. Out of half a million graduate of Midwestern HSs its not that unbelievable that increased coverage of RU would have turned on 100-150 kids to the school that wouldnt have previously have thought to apply there.

But that demographic isnt nearly enough to account for the big increase, even among OOS applicants.

There are two potential effects of the Big Ten.

1. Is increased profile. Being in the BIg Ten brings news coverage, etc. But RU, as the top school in the state, is already about as high profile as its going to get. No HS senior in NJ with top 100 school ambitions isn't aware of RU. They might have written it off for various reasons, but they still know of it. Thats as opposed to the Midwest, where they might literally know nothing about RU, or think that RU is a small private school, etc.

2. Better sports schedules brings the prospect of having a better time. But as I said on the free board, that was already largely the case versus the schools we compete most against. RU has better sports than everyone in the region except Cuse, MD, and PSU. * And it wouldnt explain the increase at Newark and Camden.

I think its simply that people are becoming more cost conscience, as the recession drags on among new graduates. RU has spent alot of money to make itself a better option. The Big Ten is a part of that, but almost surely a small one. It reinforces the narrative RU is trying to spin about itself, but it doesn't make that narrative.

Think about the Livingston Apartments. They opened in Fall 2012. That means kids applying for 2013 really didnt get to experience them. A kind applying for 2014 did however - they would get to see them, and get feedback from older kids who came back for breaks that RU was much more livable.

People have a kind of magical thinking about athletics. That we can do what would normally take hundreds of millions of dollars with just a few tens of millions of dollars (or even ZERO dollars via entering the Big Ten). Logic tells you that that isn't the case.
Agree. And it's 5 not a "d" after the "e". Not sure why so many call me ed? You weren't the first or the last. LOL

* My post about the PSU info was more of a tongue and cheek response to the article and some of the posts in the thread.
I fail to see how the B1G relates to the Camden and Newark numbers....unless there are still those like Bill Walsh who think all three are the same place/school?

I'll try again. Being in the B1G increases the profile of the Rutgers name. Since both Newark and Camden have the Rutgers name, they become more visible. Note that OOS applications are up at Rutgers-Camden; that's not just coincidental.

ADVERTISEMENT