ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers-Camden grad wins Pulitzer Prize for poetry

Normally those of us from New Brunswick want to make sure there is a distinction between Rutgers-NB and Newark and Camden. To a large extent, NB, Newark, and Camden are really different schools. But when someone from Camden wins a prestigious honor, the distinctions between campuses are not necessary. We are all one university.

Reactions: retired711
Normally those of us from New Brunswick want to make sure there is a distinction between Rutgers-NB and Newark and Camden. To a large extent, NB, Newark, and Camden are really different schools. But when someone from Camden wins a prestigious honor, the distinctions between campuses are not necessary. We are all one university.

Ok, but there is a tendency -- and there's some of it on this board -- to deprecate the "outer campuses," and that's why I wanted to specify Camden. It's kind of like what Albert Einstein said: "If I am right, the Germans will say I was a German, and the French will say I was a Jew. If I am wrong, the French will say I was a German, and the Germans will say I was a Jew."

Actually, Camden is not as "really different" as you may think. Yes, our students would generally not meet NB standards, but the faculty goes through the same tenure process, administered by exactly the same people, as in NB, and has the same scholarly orientation.

Ok, but there is a tendency -- and there's some of it on this board -- to deprecate the "outer campuses," and that's why I wanted to specify Camden. It's kind of like what Albert Einstein said: "If I am right, the Germans will say I was a German, and the French will say I was a Jew. If I am wrong, the French will say I was a German, and the Germans will say I was a Jew."

Actually, Camden is not as "really different" as you may think. Yes, our students would generally not meet NB standards, but the faculty goes through the same tenure process, administered by exactly the same people, as in NB, and has the same scholarly orientation.

I think I resemble that remark. LOL

And I would use the word differentiate instead but also agree with what Upstream said...

Normally those of us from New Brunswick want to make sure there is a distinction between Rutgers-NB and Newark and Camden. To a large extent, NB, Newark, and Camden are really different schools. But when someone from Camden wins a prestigious honor, the distinctions between campuses are not necessary. We are all one University.

Nice job, Mr. Pardlo!

I think I resemble that remark. LOL

And I would use the word differentiate instead but also agree with what Upstream said...

Normally those of us from New Brunswick want to make sure there is a distinction between Rutgers-NB and Newark and Camden. To a large extent, NB, Newark, and Camden are really different schools. But when someone from Camden wins a prestigious honor, the distinctions between campuses are not necessary. We are all one University.

Nice job, Mr. Pardlo!

I meant no offense. There are a few people who always have a negative word about Camden, but I do notice that is lessening over time. My only point -- and I may not have expressed it well -- is that it can't be "Camden" when something goes wrong and "Rutgers University" when something goes right.

BTW, I would say that the University does not do *enough* to differentiate the campuses.

I wonder if some of the negativity expressed to "the outer campuses" is just ignorance.
I am a Rutgers College grad. I have never been on the Camden campus.
Nor have I been on the Newark campus.
I will admit that I know almost nothing about those parts of the University.
Sadly, do people think negatively about them just by them being in Newark and Camden?
Are admission standards very different than the SAS in N.B./Piscataway?

Admission standards are definitely lower, but they are solid schools IMHO. I have worked with folks that went to RU-Camden and, from my perspective, they are just as proud to be "Rutgers" alumni as I am.

That being said, when I was an undergrad two guys I was friends with were also applying to the Undergrad Business School in New Brunswick. Both got rejected from RBS-NB but did get offered spots in Newark. Both decided to stay in New Brunswick and get Economics degrees.

ADVERTISEMENT