ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers commits Griffiths, Ndgono land in final Rivals150 rankings

LOL at Gavin losing his 5th star. Should not have a set amount of 5 stars. Either the player is that good and is a 5 star or not.
Agreed. Especially since he was actually moved down. A player jumped him. If they moved him down 10 spots or something like that then it would seem to indicated they overrated him initially which would then make sense, but just bc one player jumps you doesn't mean you got worse

LOL at Gavin losing his 5th star. Should not have a set amount of 5 stars. Either the player is that good and is a 5 star or not.
What do you mean by "set amount"? They had 29 5* in 2022 and 31 5* in 2021.

Players move in rankings all the time whether it's football or basketball. Just because you earn a fifth star doesn't mean you can't lose it. That said I'd love to know the reason why he lost it.

Players move in rankings all the time whether it's football or basketball. Just because you earn a fifth star doesn't mean you can't lose it. That said I'd love to know the reason why he lost it.
If you read the article it said they capped the 5 stars at 20.

Reactions: Scangg

@Richard Schnyderite is that true?

Why then the drop to only 20, 5*s this season

Just another reason I’ll likely never renew my paid subscription because of Rivals nonsense

Ha! What a joke. Gavin is a stud. He’s going to do real well. He can shoot the lights out. 5 star 4 star. Who cares. Lfg.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
If you read the article it said they capped the 5 stars at 20.
LOL it’s based on the strength of the recruiting class nothing more than that. I believe he wasn’t the only one to lose a fifth star but I don’t recall how many had 5* in the prior ranking.

Ultimately what Gavin does in a RU uniform is far more important than any HS ranking.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
@Richard Schnyderite is that true?

Why then the drop to only 20, 5*s this season

Just another reason I’ll likely never renew my paid subscription because of Rivals nonsense
Two guys jumped ahead of him in the rankings in Ja'Kobe Walter who goes from 38 to 12 and Jackson Shelstad went from 28 to 19. One guy who fell in the rankings but was ahead of Griffiths is former Rutgers target Baye Fall who went from 15 to 34. Griffiths now drops one spot and fell just outside of five star status per our rankings.

Every class is different for the amount of five star guys, this year the class was a weak one so it capped out at 20. However he is still ranked significantly higher by us than any other recruiting service out there.

Otherwise I’d love to learn more about the other “Rivals nonsense” as to why you would likely never renew your paid subscription. Send me an email or a DM on Twitter and we can chat more.

Last edited:
LOL it’s based on the strength of the recruiting class nothing more than that. I believe he wasn’t the only one to lose a fifth star but I don’t recall how many had 5* in the prior ranking.

Ultimately what Gavin does in a RU uniform is far more important than any HS ranking.
They didn't give a reason for him to lose the 5th star except for falling out of the top 20. Also Richie just confirmed above. If he lost because of a real reason I'd understand but just to say we're capping it at 20 this year and that's that makes no sense.

From the article.

Griffths overall ranking has dropped one spot and unfortunately that one spot also cost him the five-star status as only the top 20 recruits are ranked five-stars.

All of this concern about rankings is another example of the Reification Fallacy. These numbers do not reflect any objective reality but are expressions of subjective judgment and are not worth arguing about.

Last edited:
They didn't give a reason for him to lose the 5th star except for falling out of the top 20. Also Richie just confirmed above. If he lost because of a real reason I'd understand but just to say we're capping it at 20 this year and that's that makes no sense.

From the article.

Griffths overall ranking has dropped one spot and unfortunately that one spot also cost him the five-star status as only the top 20 recruits are ranked five-stars.
The point of the player blurbs in the article wasn’t to highlight anything negative but that seems beyond you and others.

Again, this happens every year in both basketball & football where players get a 5th star at some point and eventually lose it because of various factors. Strength of class, overall performance, performance of other recruits all go into it.

So where should they have cut off the class this year? Do we let everyone who got to 5* at some point keep it to make fans happy?

I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face, all these ratings are subjective. Too many of you guys get caught up in the BS that are these rankings. I care more about their actual performance once in a uniform.

I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face, all these ratings are subjective. Too many of you guys get caught up in the BS that are these rankings. I care more about their actual performance once in a uniform.
I think the ratings are generally pretty good. A huge part of them is playing in high profile events and keeping yourself out there to be seen. Flying around the country, playing a lot of games, that sort of thing.

While that's all great. Guys who are in the gym more, working out, putting in the time are going to get improve faster.

"Griffiths is very comfortably in the conversation for the best shooter in the 2023 class, and it’s my opinion he’s number one in that category. He should have no problem shooting 40-45% from three on system-generated shots at the next level. Griffiths needs to add weight to his 6-foot-7 frame, but that will come. He’s not much of a shot creator as he is spot-up shooter, and still needs to work on beating slower defenders off of the dribble. Defensively, he’s average, and will need to make some strides in that category before he’s thrust into a huge role early on as an underclass man."

Does it really matter if he is the highest ranked 4 star or the lowest five star. He is the same athlete or person either way. His strengths and deficiencies do not change. All in all a great get for The Scarlet Knights. He is not a one and done either way. Great kid and a great family count

Reactions: RU2022
Does it really matter if he is the highest ranked 4 star or the lowest five star. He is the same athlete or person either way. His strengths and deficiencies do not change. All in all a great get for The Scarlet Knights. He is not a one and done either way. Great kid and a great family count
I disagree. That 5 star ranking is usually good for another 3 and 1 rebound a game. Rivals this week might have just cost us the tournament. ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: RUpop
On Griffiths I’m eagerly awaiting the “look how much he improved with RU strength conditioning and performance training and coaching ” as opposed to “we missed some obvious signs and will learn from that”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT