ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Football on December 7, 1941 - 75 Years Ago Today

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
The December 6, 1941 Targum announced the first-ever dinner for the football team by the Touchdown Club of New Brunswick for that Monday. By the time the dinner took place there was speculation on how many of the players that night would be missing on next year’s team. Within a week, one Rutgers alumnus had died at Pearl Harbor and another in Manila; Old Queen’s ordered all electric typewriters off so radio news bulletins could be heard over loud speakers; 21 members of Phi Gamma Delta spent midnight to 4:00 a.m. shifts at Post 25A on the outskirts of town voluntarily watching the skies for any aircraft flying toward New York with a secret phone number to contact Mitchel Army Air Field in Long Island if they did; ROTC was mobilized in the event of an air raid; a Rutgers Defense Council was formed; and campus black-outs imposed. The skylight of the College Avenue Gymnasium was painted over to make it look black from the sky. Those same paint flakes floated down on the basketball court and stopped play during the men’s undefeated 1975-76 season. The United States – and along with it Rutgers - had entered World War II.

A dozen Rutgers athletes, eight of them football players, were already in the military by February, 1942 when 41-year old head coach Harvey Harman (1938-41, 46-55) along with backfield coach Eddie Masavage enlisted in the Navy’s V-5 physical training aviation program as instructors. Months later, end coach Al Sabo also enlisted and freshman football coach Dave Bender was made a captain in the Air Corp Intelligence. Rutgers athletic director George Little recommended them to the officers who were in charge - Lt. Commander Thomas J. Hamilton (19-8 as Navy coach 1934-36) and Gene Tunney, (retired heavyweight champion and a commander by WWII’s end). Little said, “In times of peace we indulge in considerable talk of what football and other sports can do for the making of men. If our theories are practical, we should feel in time of war there is a great opportunity offered for athletic leaders… ”

Harvey Harman returned to coach the 1946 Rutgers team. He had wound up on the U.S.S. Bon Homme Richard aircraft carrier in the Pacific participating in the Battle of Okinawa and Battle of Leyte Gulf and was discharged from the Navy with the rank of Commander. His staff coach, Eddie Masavage, served 14 months and also wound up on an aircraft carrier, the Essex, before returning to his peacetime job “On the Banks of the Old Raritan.” Both he and Al Sabo were lieutenants, junior grade. And then it was 58-year old Rutgers AD George Little’s turn. Responding to a War Department request, the April 25, 1947 Targum reported, “… Little leaves for Germany on a two-man Commission for a 45-day tour to study the physical education program in the American zone of occupied Germany.”

Source, GREAT stuff-thanks for the post. Never realized how much the Rutgers community mobilized for the war.

I remember my late Aunt (Perth Amboy) had a large picture of her brother/a great uncle?/my Uncle guarding the White House on the night of December 7th 1941. Like the frat, that must have been eerie (just like when I woke up late on 9/11 and my father RIP told me all-I think I covered my head and was expecting planes overhead).

Though I was never much involved in military stuff (I was turned down post UNC for a supposedly ultra competitive hospital administration program-heard they really wanted enlisted guys who had moved up through the ranks) I remember one of my late uncles from my fathers side (also Perth Amboy-took me to my only Daytona 500), who had served in the Italian and African campaigns took me to a parade. He saluted every flag and every military/ex military person to the extent people were laughing at him.

The December 6, 1941 Targum announced the first-ever dinner for the football team by the Touchdown Club of New Brunswick for that Monday. By the time the dinner took place there was speculation on how many of the players that night would be missing on next year’s team. Within a week, one Rutgers alumnus had died at Pearl Harbor and another in Manila; Old Queen’s ordered all electric typewriters off so radio news bulletins could be heard over loud speakers; 21 members of Phi Gamma Delta spent midnight to 4:00 a.m. shifts at Post 25A on the outskirts of town voluntarily watching the skies for any aircraft flying toward New York with a secret phone number to contact Mitchel Army Air Field in Long Island if they did; ROTC was mobilized in the event of an air raid; a Rutgers Defense Council was formed; and campus black-outs imposed. The skylight of the College Avenue Gymnasium was painted over to make it look black from the sky. Those same paint flakes floated down on the basketball court and stopped play during the men’s undefeated 1975-76 season. The United States – and along with it Rutgers - had entered World War II.

A dozen Rutgers athletes, eight of them football players, were already in the military by February, 1942 when 41-year old head coach Harvey Harman (1938-41, 46-55) along with backfield coach Eddie Masavage enlisted in the Navy’s V-5 physical training aviation program as instructors. Months later, end coach Al Sabo also enlisted and freshman football coach Dave Bender was made a captain in the Air Corp Intelligence. Rutgers athletic director George Little recommended them to the officers who were in charge - Lt. Commander Thomas J. Hamilton (19-8 as Navy coach 1934-36) and Gene Tunney, (retired heavyweight champion and a commander by WWII’s end). Little said, “In times of peace we indulge in considerable talk of what football and other sports can do for the making of men. If our theories are practical, we should feel in time of war there is a great opportunity offered for athletic leaders… ”

Harvey Harman returned to coach the 1946 Rutgers team. He had wound up on the U.S.S. Bon Homme Richard aircraft carrier in the Pacific participating in the Battle of Okinawa and Battle of Leyte Gulf and was discharged from the Navy with the rank of Commander. His staff coach, Eddie Masavage, served 14 months and also wound up on an aircraft carrier, the Essex, before returning to his peacetime job “On the Banks of the Old Raritan.” Both he and Al Sabo were lieutenants, junior grade. And then it was 58-year old Rutgers AD George Little’s turn. Responding to a War Department request, the April 25, 1947 Targum reported, “… Little leaves for Germany on a two-man Commission for a 45-day tour to study the physical education program in the American zone of occupied Germany.”
Seems a bit odd that they were worried about an attack via the air.. where would those planes have been originating?

Seems a bit odd that they were worried about an attack via the air.. where would those planes have been originating?
Probably thought aircraft carriers even though I think we were relatively aware of naval activity in the Atlantic at the time. Lots of windows on the coastline were blacked out too, this for fear of ships.

Plus I guess if they were Kamizakes they only needed fuel for one way. Possibly analogous to the late morning-night of 9/11-so much had happened (and information was still being processed) that logically one had to keep their eyes and ears out for possibly m ore attacks (though they were unlikely).

Probably thought aircraft carriers even though I think we were relatively aware of naval activity in the Atlantic at the time. Lots of windows on the coastline were blacked out too, this for fear of ships.
But Germany had no completed and functioning aircraft carriers. I would think this would have been well known at the time.

Plus I guess if they were Kamizakes they only needed fuel for one way. Possibly analogous to the late morning-night of 9/11-so much had happened (and information was still being processed) that logically one had to keep their eyes and ears out for possibly m ore attacks (though they were unlikely).
Kamikazes came much later in the war when Japan had run out of experienced pilots to fly their planes.

But Germany had no completed and functioning aircraft carriers. I would think this would have been well known at the time.
I think Pearl Harbor was a huge shock to most people, many of whom maybe didn't even know where it was. It all happened so fast they may have thought if it can happen at Pearl it can happen here? Don't know for sure but that's my guess.

I think Pearl Harbor was a huge shock to most people, many of whom maybe didn't even know where it was. It all happened so fast they may have thought if it can happen at Pearl it can happen here? Don't know for sure but that's my guess.

Yes, forget man on the street ignorance. People that should have known better got things very, very wrong.
NY Times
On the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor, a Look Back
"But the prospect of an airborne attack on Hawaii itself? Unthinkable. After all, a few days before, on Nov. 27, (Pacific Fleet Commander) Kimmel had asked his war plans officer if there was any chance the Japanese would be so bold. “None,” the officer replied. “Absolutely none.”

My father was Class of 1940 (varsity wrestler) and was up at Yale's Graduate Forestry School when Pearl Harbor occurred. Went to train with the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale in Colorado (ski troops) but ended up in New Guinea and then the Philippines.

Source, GREAT stuff-thanks for the post. Never realized how much the Rutgers community mobilized for the war.......

Lest we not forget the cargo vessel S.S. Rutgers Victory:

The March 15, 1949 Targum announced the first opponent later that year (and last minute addition) would be the United States Merchant Marines Academy at Kings Point, N.Y. The Merchant Marines transport cargo in peace time and is an auxiliary to the Navy in wartime.

It was the Merchant Marines that oversaw the lines of Victory cargo ships replacing boats sunk earlier in World War II. Ships were named for allied countries, American cities and then a line of 150 ships named after colleges and universities who contributed to the war effort. The first ship off this line was the S.S. Rutgers Victory. It was christened by Manuel Quezon, widow of the Phillipines president, on February 2, 1945 in Terminal Island, CA just two hours before the fall of Manila with three military Rutgers alumni looking on according to the March 9, 1945 “Rutgers Cannon - Wartime Successor to the Targum.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT