ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers hires $690-an-hour mediator to settle Douglass alumnae fight

Waste of money. There is nothing to mediate.

Douglass is part of Rutgers University. It operates as part of the University, not in opposition to it.

This is like the Coke Zero commercials showing fake Coke product managers trying to sue Coke Zero for stealing their product's taste.

(Aside from that, the AADC is dishonest here. My wife is a Douglass alumna, and we have received fundraising calls from AADC in which they have tried to dissuade us from making donations to Rutgers University, and instead send the money to AADC.)

Reactions: Leonard23
Since the AADC is a separate private organization and clearly they and Rutgers can't agree on a full resolution of this so you have two options... mediation or litigation.

I agree with the spirit of your point but unfortunately legalities give AADC at least some leverage here to force mediation.

Waste of money. There is nothing to mediate.

Douglass is part of Rutgers University. It operates as part of the University, not in opposition to it.

This is like the Coke Zero commercials showing fake Coke product managers trying to sue Coke Zero for stealing their product's taste.

(Aside from that, the AADC is dishonest here. My wife is a Douglass alumna, and we have received fundraising calls from AADC in which they have tried to dissuade us from making donations to Rutgers University, and instead send the money to AADC.)

Has this kind of activity been raised within RU?: It is disgraceful.

Also, mediation is expensive but is cheaper than arbitration. That price is on point, this is just NJ.com nonsense to rabble the anti RU crowd.

I don't understand the distinction you're making in cost between mediation (bring both sides to a voluntary settlement) and arbitration (impose a solution on the parties after hearing from them.) Both are, with all their flaws, a lot cheaper than litigation, as high as the fee may appear. It's a shame, though, that the parties couldn't work this out on their own. Obviously both sides are very determined to have their own way.

I don't like arbs, moreso I was just commenting that John Q Public doesn't understand litigation costs.

ADVERTISEMENT