ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers' law schools now officially merged

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
See below:

embers of the Rutgers Community:

On behalf of Chancellors Phoebe Haddon and Nancy Cantor, I am proud to announce that the American Bar Association has formally approved the merger of our law schools in Camden and Newark. This final step in the process, which follows Board of Governors approval this past spring, makes official the establishment of the newly merged Rutgers Law School, a single academic unit with locations in Camden and Newark. Effective immediately, Rutgers Law–Newark dean Ronald Chen and Rutgers Law–Camden acting dean John Oberdiek will serve as its co-deans.

This is a historic moment for our university and a welcome development for New Jersey and the region. The new Rutgers Law School is keenly attuned to the evolving demands of the legal profession and to the need for legal scholarship and education to address the public good. We are excited about the future of an institution that is both steeped in history as a cornerstone of one of America’s oldest universities and situated at the forefront of innovation in legal education.

As New Jersey’s public law school, Rutgers Law offers a wealth of advantages:

· A comprehensive curriculum, propelled by one of the nation’s largest faculties with wide-ranging expertise;

· Locations in two of the nation’s five largest legal employment markets, providing access to an extraordinary array of clinical, pro bono, and experiential learning opportunities;

· An active network of more than 20,000 alumni nationwide;

· Cutting-edge immersive technology bringing great legal scholars and students together in real time; and

· A proven tradition of educating diverse new generations of legal professionals for public and private practice.

The new Rutgers Law School is the culmination of conversations begun by former deans John Farmer and Ray Solomon several years ago and of plans embraced by faculty in both Newark and Camden. That same spirit of collaboration will continue to strengthen the programs and scholarship at Rutgers Law School, including the deep engagement with our host cities and regions for which Rutgers is already well known and highly regarded.

I know that Chancellor Cantor and Chancellor Haddon, who have brought their own tremendous energy to the merger process, join me in congratulating the faculty, administrators, and deans who have worked so hard to achieve this milestone. They and I look forward to working with Rutgers Law School to maximize the benefits of this merger for our students, New Jersey residents, and the region. We are eager to help as Rutgers Law revolutionizes legal education and scholarship for the 21st century.

Sincerely,

Bob Barchi

Camdenlawprof,
With the merger,do you see the university having more events in Piscataway/New Brunswick for the law students and staff to make them feel more like they are full-fledged members of the university. I realize it would mean some cost as far as transportation.These could be both educational (classes,seminars) and social (football and basketball games,dance-a-thon,etc.)

Camdenlawprof,
With the merger,do you see the university having more events in Piscataway/New Brunswick for the law students and staff to make them feel more like they are full-fledged members of the university. I realize it would mean some cost as far as transportation.These could be both educational (classes,seminars) and social (football and basketball games,dance-a-thon,etc.)

I haven't heard any plans to do that. New Brunswick is a shlep, particularly for students in South Jersey (the Camden campus is 75 minutes away from New Brunswick when traffic is good.) Perhaps there will be some joint faculty meetings at the New Jersey Continuing Education building off Route 1,, but I haven't heard of plans to do that either.

I know if would cost a bit for buses,but I hope there are at least some events set up.--Is there any way that Rutgers could have an additional law school campus in Piscataway/New Brunswick and only offer classes via video from Camden and Newark? Have no additional professors--just a few advisors. Cost would seem to me to be very minimal. Or is this the dumbest idea you've ever heard ? LOL

We have been thinking of some kind of presence in New Brunswick, most likely through helping with a "legal studies" undergraduate major. But I don't think that's something likely to happen soon.

I haven't been to the Camden campus in at lest 15 years,but was surprised to see some recent pictures of the area--it is a lot better than most people would think. I hope the Trenton funding is there for future growth and is not targeted by some South Jersey politicians for only Rowan (not that I have anything against Rowan).

HeavenUniv, there used to be a lot of criticism of the Camden campus on this site by people who had obviously never seen it. The campus is a green enclave. It is not urban in feel at all. We also hope the money is there for future growth.

I'm a graduate of RC and NL and agree with this merger albeit only as a first step. I can't speak as to the Camden law school, but believe that the poor perception of the NL in the entirely self induced by its focus over the years on social issues and legal training versus business and commercial. I think it has entirely failed to take advantage on its location in the New York metropolitan area,

Having said that, I believe the best solution to both providing quality legal education and raising the standing of the school is a real merger with a move of the school to New Brunswick. There you can leverage the cross disciplinary possibilities as well as be more associated with the Rutgers brand. Night school facilities could be maintained in Newark and Camden but he school itself should be in New Brunswick.

Reactions: RUKeystone
Virginiaru, your support of a New Brunswick law school makes sense, but there seems to be no interest on the part of the administration in doing this. As for Newark Law, I think the school is trying to push in a more conventional direction. The law school at Camden does not share Newark Law's emphases, and so I expect that the social issues will be less of a focus.

Reactions: RUKeystone
ADVERTISEMENT