ADVERTISEMENT

Lacrosse Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse 2024 season to begin Saturday against Lehigh - Game Thread

RU was down 2 D starters 45 seconds into the game and it showed. Sliding both there and at midfield need work. Stoller outplayed by the Lehigh goalie who played very well. Scott and Knobloch played like the All Americans they are.

Last edited:
Far from a perfect game but I’ll take the win. Biggest concern is injuries on D. Hopefully none are long term. We already lost our best close D for a while in the Nova scrimmage.

Opening day in lax is scary. Always lots of upsets and close games that you would expect to be blowouts. It’s the first opportunity to get a live look at your weaknesses and learn what you need to work on. Better to do that off a win than a loss. Just look around our league. Lots of teams learned tough lessons off of losses. PSU loses a 1 goal game to Colgate, Hopkins goes down to Denver in OT, Maryland squeaks past Richmond in 2OT.

On to Stony Brook!

Reactions: RU-Hunter
'Cuse up on UVM 13-5 in the 3rd. Cuse playing nowhere close to their talent level although Mule shows signs of QBing the offense which would not be good news

Why didn’t Kelly play? We played down 2/3rds of our starting D and 1/3 our starting attack???

Happy to come out of this one with a win. Think we are going to be fine in goal. After a rocky 1st Q, Stoller played solid the rest of the way. Yes, D needs work.

After watching the attack today vs final scrimmage, I think we will be better with the return of Kelly. He is a better carrier than Kulas, but when Dante is free, he's a sniper. Nice problem to have.

First midfield is going to be good. Knoblock and Amione each had a hat trick, and the Lehigh trans, Sidorski, canned two. Once they get more playing time together we could see something special.

Biggest task now is getting the d playing in sync and not being late on slides. A work in progress, and I thought I saw Rizzotti on crutches with a cast on the right foot. Injury to Edwards did not look good.

Thx. Loyola pretty much dominated the Hoyas from start to finish despite FO issues…Loyola is a VERY old team on offense and in the rope…

If they can get 40% or better at the FO dot, they will be a very tough team to beat…but the play a brutal schedule…

Off to see the Terps next week…Loyola beat MD last year, so I’m sure the Terps will want a piece of the Hounds…

Glad RU figured it out…Lehigh had a ton of turbulence this past off season … I’m surprised by how tight the game was…but after seeing the PSU and Hop results it reminds you on one simple statement…just win

Thx. Loyola pretty much dominated the Hoyas from start to finish despite FO issues…Loyola is a VERY old team on offense and in the rope…

If they can get 40% or better at the FO dot, they will be a very tough team to beat…but the play a brutal schedule…

Off to see the Terps next week…Loyola beat MD last year, so I’m sure the Terps will want a piece of the Hounds…

Glad RU figured it out…Lehigh had a ton of turbulence this past off season … I’m surprised by how tight the game was…but after seeing the PSU and Hop results it reminds you on one simple statement…just win
Agree with this all. Always nice to work on things after a W. Wouldn’t be shocked if Lehigh makes waves in the PL. They are good.

Reactions: mattkamish
Agree with this all. Always nice to work on things after a W. Wouldn’t be shocked if Lehigh makes waves in the PL. They are good.
Lehigh is always a top PL team. At the end of the day it’s a solid win for RU.

They game that has me puzzled is that Colgate win…😳

Yea Penn St must have been reading their own press clippings.

The game that doesn’t surprise me is Hopkins. All we keep hearing about is how they are back. I think they are better and very good but dominant again? Not seeing that. Guess we will see.

College lacrosse has changed a lot in the last 30 years.

The game that doesn’t surprise me is Hopkins. All we keep hearing about is how they are back. I think they are better and very good but dominant again? Not seeing that. Guess we will see.

I didn't see enough of the game to analyze, but that pass by PSU with 20 seconds left, which I saw, was the worst screwup I've seen in years

Reactions: Caliknight

Missed your updates here

Sorry man started them on the pay side by accident and just kept going. Kids played hard. Lots to work on. A couple of injuries were really a downer but it’s next man up. Life in D1 lacrosse isn’t for the faint of heart.

I didn't see enough of the game to analyze, but that pass by PSU with 20 seconds left, which I saw, was the worst screwup I've seen in years
I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. That was off of a dead ball. You don’t make that pass even under duress during a clear. Off a dead ball? That’s a mistake even a decent high school team will make you pay for. Shockingly low IQ play.

I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. That was off of a dead ball. You don’t make that pass even under duress during a clear. Off a dead ball? That’s a mistake even a decent high school team will make you pay for. Shockingly low IQ play.

Don't know if the term is still used but in HS if you had nothing open short and the clock running down from 20 seconds if you didn't "Gilman" the ball down to the other end of the field and go to OT you ended up in the chateau bow-wow.

Reactions: Caliknight
That was a term we used. The northern guys used to say “cheap it”.

The LI guys I played with all said cheap it if I recall correctly.

College lacrosse has changed a lot in the last 3

I just finished watching the replay of that game, JH was up 11-7 with 8 left in the 4th, and quite frankly had several opportunities to put it away in the 3rd Q.

Then the roof slowly fell in. A combination of poor shooting and penalties, and next thing you know Denver trails by 2 with 2 minutes left. It gets better (for Denver that is). They cut it to one and then JH gets it with 30 seconds left and losses possession. Denver goes on attack. Ball goes out and Denver starts from the side with 2.9 left and cans it at 0.5! Wins in OT.

Classic example of not putting away the opponent and failing to play for 60 minutes. What a treat for the home crowd. Bet there are some people who are pissed. They should come out with their hair on fire tomorrow against Towson. Game is on ESPNU.

Every season is one unto itself. Sometimes teams need to learn how to win. Some it happens for quickly, others as the season goes, some it never happens for.

I watched our game again. Two things stood out. We got better on defense as the game wore on. Smarter slides, better timed, and more communication. We need to see that continue. We closed. When it came to winning time, we made the plays we need to. That game was much more valuable than a 20-7 blowout over Marist.

Side note, Lehigh is good. Their D is well organized, their goalie is terrific, and they have a few guys who can definitely break you down one v one. They also move the ball very well and know what they are. I know Army is very good and Loyola is always good if not very good. I haven't seen them play yet but it wouldn't surprise me to see Lehigh finish3/4. It was only a scrimmage but from what I've seen, Lehigh is definitely a step above BU. Seeing Lehigh finish top 3 in the PL, which is a very good league, wouldn't shock me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT