ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers No. 4 Field Hockey Hosts Indiana Friday, No. 1 Northwestern Sunday

Is there ANY video where you can see the whistle being blown (which is the rule, SEE ABOVE, and NOT when she starts her run/touches the ball)???
There has to be video somewhere or else how could it be overturned by the ref?

There has to be video somewhere or else how could it be overturned by the ref?
Good point. Let's get a look at it & settle this. Meredith & Pat Hobbs should have access to it as well as the Big. Question--how does a video pick up the sound of a whistle?

Good point. Let's get a look at it & settle this. Meredith & Pat Hobbs should have access to it as well as the Big. Question--how does a video pick up the sound of a whistle?
I don't think it is from the whistle I believe it is when she first touches the ball; it is right at 8 seconds so I don't think they should have overturned it
The other stupid rule is the challenge rule in a shootout if you used your challeneges you can't challenge!! very stupid

Reactions: Wagram97
So this is the fall sport I actually coach now (and have been lucky in the past few years to win state titles). The timing is very, very close on the 8 seconds. Its a tough rule that is has to cross the line before 8 seconds and not just be in the air (honestly a rule that puts officials in a really bad spot).

At the high school level it is 10 seconds and the horn sounds when time expires.

I would like to see their clock paired up with the actual start of the play.

I ran my clock a few times and each time it came out right around 7.8 seconds, but the video has us already in motion. It is super close.

I will take NUTS at his word that the clock starts when the ref blows the whistle and not when the player first touches the ball.

I stopped the video that is linked in this thread at the 8 second mark, and the ball is in the air but NOT across the goal line. If anything, that video probably started a split second after the whistle blew, as the video starts when our player had just touched the ball.

From this, I conclude that the goal was properly disallowed.

Reactions: gef21
Just read the rule and yes it is from the time that the whistle blows to start the play. There should be a clock on the goal like they have in BB. I imagine there is a split second that it take the official to stop the clock once the ball crossed the line.

Found out today that it wasn't Meredith who threw her headset down as someone had told me. May have been another coach.

How does the ref not see the NW goalie foul which would have resulted in a penalty shot?

I will take NUTS at his word that the clock starts when the ref blows the whistle and not when the player first touches the ball.

I stopped the video that is linked in this thread at the 8 second mark, and the ball is in the air but NOT across the goal line. If anything, that video probably started a split second after the whistle blew, as the video starts when our player had just touched the ball.

From this, I conclude that the goal was properly disallowed.
Not my word buddy; just reading the rule posted by @RobertG on P3 of this thread.

Field hockey final score yesterday: Northwestern 5, Maryland 1. Northwestern is the Big 10 regular season champ regardless of what we do today against Iowa.

#Screwed

So, did anyone time the video yet? Stuff I saw said it went over 8 seconds.. not sure how that could be unless they started counting before she began her shot... which could happen.. just don't have the video to time it myself

I shall assume that Rutgers people have internally confirmed this since I have not seen a formal complaint to the Big Ten. Guess it doesn't matter unless the women make a nice comeback here. But you have to know NW securing the championship.. perhaps wrongly.. has to have affected the team.

Ugh - Looks like they had a major hangover from Northwestern. Get it together ladies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT