ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers-Penn State Game Thread

Nice that they have a few days off before Nebraska. If they play their game they should win that one. Key for conference positioning. Iowa and Maryland playing today.

Originally posted by gigantor1024:

Originally posted by RU MAN:
This talented team is really difficult to watch sometimes as they play down to their competition. Stringer continues to make strange or no changes when it's so obvious. Why isn't Fernandez in there more getting touches? She needs to be the outside threat more especially when PSU went into a zone.
Who's Fernandez?
I meant Hernandez. Geez.

For better or worse, Stringer sometimes has had the attitude that her talented players need to figure out on the court how to beat an inferior team. That's a coaching philosophy issue, and while some of us might not agree, none of us has 900+ wins at the D-I level, so it's unlikely her mind is going to be changed.

I certainly would like to see more of Hernandez, as she seems to have a great 3-point shot and it is one of the team's issues. But CVS also does seem to have used her effectively in more recent games, so again it's hard to say that she's doing a lot wrong there.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:
For better or worse, Stringer sometimes has had the attitude that her talented players need to figure out on the court how to beat an inferior team. That's a coaching philosophy issue, and while some of us might not agree, none of us has 900+ wins at the D-I level, so it's unlikely her mind is going to be changed.

I certainly would like to see more of Hernandez, as she seems to have a great 3-point shot and it is one of the team's issues. But CVS also does seem to have used her effectively in more recent games, so again it's hard to say that she's doing a lot wrong there.
Well said BeK. A lot of people want to coach. But she is doing the job of getting the team ready to compete in the post season. I do agree that more ahernandez would be good. But we were told that she has some back issues and isn't always ready for big minutes.

Meanwhile Laney continues to be a double-double machine with her 14th today copper and Sacaife averaging 16 each. Solid foundation.

This post was edited on 2/1 5:05 PM by RUClassof67

Originally posted by BeKnighted:

What you say is very interesting with regard to Stringer's coaching philosophy. But as you agreed, Hernandez needs more touches out there especially come tournament time. I watched the Iowa/Maryland game yesterday and that gal from Iowa is deadly from 3 point land and what kept Iowa in the game, in which they only lost in the waning moments. I believe her name is Mickens. But Iowa has three women who can easily nail the 3, and if I recall, that's what did us in when we played them.

It's easy for you and others like '67 to constantly bring up Stringers wins (946 and counting) but that has NOTHING to do with utilizing certain assets on your bench to increase your potential. Just because I didn't make my profession as a coach (I coached plenty of teams and played the game) doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. The crutch of using her win totals gets a little tiresome and old. And most of you couldn't even defend her god awful offenses in the recent past, when it looked as if she was still coaching in the 90's while other teams like UCONN and Tenn. learned how to combine ferocious defense with even greater offense.

I think this team has what it takes to make a run in the NCAA's this year, but ONLY if we make the other teams' defense honest in the high and low post to get easy baskets for Laney, Copper, Canty and our bigs. And the way to do that, especially when teams like Iowa zone us to death, is to get Hernandez out there to nail 3 or 4 3 points. That's smart basketball.

This talented team is really difficult to watch sometimes as they play down to their competition. Stringer continues to make strange or no changes when it's so obvious. Why isn't Fernandez [sic] in there more getting touches? She needs to be the outside threat more especially when PSU went into a zone.
It's been mentioned 2 or 3 times on this board that Hernandez has back problems.

It's easy for you and others like '67 to constantly bring up Stringers wins (946 and counting) but that has NOTHING to do with utilizing certain assets on your bench to increase your potential. Just because I didn't make my profession as a coach (I coached plenty of teams and played the game) doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. The crutch of using her win totals gets a little tiresome and old. And most of you couldn't even defend her god awful offenses in the recent past, when it looked as if she was still coaching in the 90's while other teams like UCONN and Tenn. learned how to combine ferocious defense with even greater offense.
I wasn't saying she was right; I was just saying some parts of her philosophy are unlikely to change.

l

and it's equally as tiresome to hear "I coached plenty of teams and played the game" when people disagree with the coaching philosophy. Coaching Division 1 basketball is considerably different than what anyone who has played or coached at any other level can claim to have experienced.

I certainly believe that Cynthia, if healthy, should get more playing time and I have stated that. But I trust a Hall of Fame Coach to know when and how long a player should be on the floor. And I didnt have to "coach plenty or play" at any level to make that statement.

I am a fan and can have my opinion but I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me.

Originally posted by dmd78:
This talented team is really difficult to watch sometimes as they play down to their competition. Stringer continues to make strange or no changes when it's so obvious. Why isn't Fernandez [sic] in there more getting touches? She needs to be the outside threat more especially when PSU went into a zone.
It's been mentioned 2 or 3 times on this board that Hernandez has back problems.
Diana, thanks for that. When I wrote my points earlier today I did not know. I actually just found out when I read about Hernandez's back issues on the Round Table. Has she had these issues all season? Recently? Is it going to bother her the rest of the season because we really need her out there.

Weird game, glad we won. I know it seems stupid but this was a game played on super bowl sunday obviously distractions are there. not an excuse but these are young kids not pros who probably had plans later in the day. I pretty much throw this one out as a weird game but glad we won

Originally posted by dmd78:
Diana, thanks for that. When I wrote my points earlier today I did not know. I actually just found out when I read about Hernandez's back issues on the Round Table. Has she had these issues all season? Recently? Is it going to bother her the rest of the season because we really need her out there.
I don't know any more than what I've read on this board. :-) There's something on the Round Table about it? I guess I'll have to take a look. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT