ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Student Assembly votes to diversify the mascot- Mugrat?

Looks like some people ITT are triggered.

The modern college is meatheads vs. sensitive sallies.

Of course, the irresponsible older generations find ways to blame everybody but themselves.

I heard Rutgers is changing the athletic teams name to the "Human Beings" and will have a mascot that is a non-denominational ethnic free representation of the Rutgers student body.

Here's a pic:
latest

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
I heard Rutgers is changing the athletic teams name to the "Human Beings" and will have a mascot that is a non-denominational ethnic free representation of the Rutgers student body.

Here's a pic:
latest
But them you're excluding the dozen or so seeing eye dogs RU students train. They go to class and ride the buses too.

What are you? Some sort of antidogite?

Propose this to ND. Wonder what they would do.

Well Alamo Al, you must be too young to remember Notre Dame's mascot in 1999:

That being said, I can't imagine a student feeling disaffected because their freakin' mascot of a medieval knight is caucasian. I support the importance of diversity and honoring culture of all races, but the RUSA proposal is ridiculous.

-Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: RUwoz and RUgrad75
Something slightly related that I've been thinking about recently: how would anyone feel about having a Scarlet Knight statue somewhere on campus? The only real statues that we have are William the Silent (which was kind of a happy accident that we have it) and the football player commemorating the first game in front of Rutgers Stadium.

USC has Tommy Trojan that is a "must photograph" location on campus. Penn State has the Nittany Lion which a lot of graduates get their pictures taken in front of. Michigan State recently had a Spartan statue put near their stadium. Heck UCF has a pretty cool looking one (pictured below.)

I'm thinking something along the lines of an androgynous knight (helmet on, can't tell race or sex) with a shield by its' side and sword tip down in the ground in front. Nothing overly threatening about it, just a 10 foot tall Scarlet Knight that would be an iconic photo location. Plop it in the middle of the new quad area when they demolish Brower and the parking deck in a couple of years. Roll it with scarlet streamers after every big victory.

Here are some ideas:
Knight.jpg

miniature_replica_statue_resolution.jpg

3354240929_4ed4ac8186.jpg

Why is everyone so triggered over a mascot -- one that has two versions (one made of felt with an out of place Spartan helmet and the other with a more realistic knight uniform whose ethnic features we never see)?

There are about a million other places I'd like to see benefactors spend money with the athletic department than this.

If you're a guy with one or two hundred grand who wants to spend money on this dreck, then I'm not going to tell you what to do with your gifts, but if the athletic department is out soliciting for specific projects, this one isn't anywhere near the first tab on the spreadsheet.
Something slightly related that I've been thinking about recently: how would anyone feel about having a Scarlet Knight statue somewhere on campus? The only real statues that we have are William the Silent (which was kind of a happy accident that we have it) and the football player commemorating the first game in front of Rutgers Stadium.

USC has Tommy Trojan that is a "must photograph" location on campus. Penn State has the Nittany Lion which a lot of graduates get their pictures taken in front of. Michigan State recently had a Spartan statue put near their stadium. Heck UCF has a pretty cool looking one (pictured below.)

I'm thinking something along the lines of an androgynous knight (helmet on, can't tell race or sex) with a shield by its' side and sword tip down in the ground in front. Nothing overly threatening about it, just a 10 foot tall Scarlet Knight that would be an iconic photo location. Plop it in the middle of the new quad area when they demolish Brower and the parking deck in a couple of years. Roll it with scarlet streamers after every big victory.

Here are some ideas:
Knight.jpg

Reactions: mal359

Here are some ideas:
Knight.jpg

Or we could try to be an institution with a unique identity, rather than another cookie-cutter football factory?

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
A: because people go absolutely bat-shit when newcomers mess with anything perceived to be "tradition" on the basis of cultural sensitivity.

Also, the kid in the student assembly who floated this motion is merely burnishing his credentials as a "thoughtful person," and he's doing it by messing with something that doesn't belong to him.
Why is everyone so triggered over a mascot -- one that has two versions (one made of felt with an out of place Spartan helmet and the other with a more realistic knight uniform whose ethnic features we never see)?

Or we could try to be an institution with a unique identity, rather than another cookie-cutter football factory?
So what is that "unique identity" currently? I'm not saying that a statue of a Scarlet Knight will define Rutgers. Our campuses are very spread out and lack a firm central location. I think the new center courtyard would be a great place for a rallying point similar to what the steps of Brower Commons is now, and a statue would go great there.

10982328_10104797726873769_8135762354015618614_o.jpg

this one isn't anywhere near the first tab on the spreadsheet.
I'm not saying make it a priority, just like the new quad isn't a priority. Put it in a 5-10 year plan and see how it floats.

As a liberal I think this is stupid! I like the knight the way he is!

They should also get rid of the Knights sword, it is too violent. What kind of message are we sending to the children?

And don't get me started on the cannon.

Knight statue has been floated. Didn't take off because "Barchi doesn't like statues." Not kidding.

If the mascot doesn't really matter, why does it matter so much to so many of you?

Propose this to ND. Wonder what they would do.

Actually, ND has had at least one black leprechaun in the past. But, that's a different situation: the ND leprechaun is not a cover-all costume like the scarlet knight with the foam head.

Just another example of how our civilization is imploding. God (oops, sorry, there is none) help these young "entitled" millenials when times get tough.

Reactions: knightfan7
"Don't get me wrong, I'm not blindly against change or full recognition of the University's growing diversity. You can knock me for it, but the change in the Alma Mater lyrics was OK with me. There was a reason for that -- why should a female student have to sing about becoming a "Man"."

Maybe I am wrong but I always thought the Alma Mater was singing the recollections of a long ago Rutgers student-.
not singing about my experience at Rutgers. If I am right any person can sing the "become a man"

There are about a million other places I'd like to see benefactors spend money with the athletic department than this.

If you're a guy with one or two hundred grand who wants to spend money on this dreck, then I'm not going to tell you what to do with your gifts, but if the athletic department is out soliciting for specific projects, this one isn't anywhere near the first tab on the spreadsheet.

Agree. Just like some rich guy put up that tacky 1/4 reproduction on Voorhees Mall of the statue that is atop the Dutch parliament.

Just another example of how our civilization is imploding. God (oops, sorry, there is none) help these young "entitled" millenials when times get tough.

Calm down, geezer. Didn't you go to RU when it was about $20 a credit?

When I was in college I would agree to stupid ideas because I thought if I agreed I would get to have sex with the woman that came up with the stupid idea. But nope. My secret fantasy plan didn't work out.

So, not so much, "what does everyone think of this," as much as, "please validate this fantasy with supporting commentary." Gotcha.
So what is that "unique identity" currently? I'm not saying that a statue of a Scarlet Knight will define Rutgers. Our campuses are very spread out and lack a firm central location. I think the new center courtyard would be a great place for a rallying point similar to what the steps of Brower Commons is now, and a statue would go great there.

10982328_10104797726873769_8135762354015618614_o.jpg

I'm not saying make it a priority, just like the new quad isn't a priority. Put it in a 5-10 year plan and see how it floats.

ADVERTISEMENT