ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers taps Mayo Clinic dean for $560K-a-year med school post

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
A veteran doctor and administrator at the prestigious Mayo Clinic will be the new dean of Rutgers University's Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

"Rutgers can now steal people from the Mayo Clinic," Brian Strom, chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, said when he announced the appointment to the university's board of governors Thursday.

Rutgers taps Mayo Clinic dean

Of course, as we could all predict, the focus of the story and comments is largely on the salary.

This post was edited on 4/4 5:33 PM by lawmatt78

It is strange how people worry so much about how much other people make. The article even stated that the median salary for this position nationwide is $526K. It makes sense that positions in NJ, NY, and CA would pay much more than the average while other areas would pay much less than the average.

Unfortunately, there's more to this story.

http://www.postbulletin.com/business/mayo-clinic-exec-felt-intimidated/article_4e01388f-5249-578c-b8cf-356b284384e4.html

Originally posted by srru86:
Rochester MN Post Bulletin
Rutgers hires away Mayo Medical School dean

I'm getting the message that Rutgers is hiring away top talent from national players.
If so, this is how NYU and USC moved up in the rankings. They hired a lot of top faculty from the Ivies and other elite schools and programs and then tightened up admissions making it more selective and in less than 10-12 shot up in the rankings. I still remember NYU in the late 1970's when I was considering it as my safety school. Getting in there then is nothing like it is today. Nothing.

Originally posted by RU MAN:
Originally posted by srru86:
Rochester MN Post Bulletin
Rutgers hires away Mayo Medical School dean

I'm getting the message that Rutgers is hiring away top talent from national players.
If so, this is how NYU and USC moved up in the rankings. They hired a lot of top faculty from the Ivies and other elite schools and programs and then tightened up admissions making it more selective and in less than 10-12 shot up in the rankings. I still remember NYU in the late 1970's when I was considering it as my safety school. Getting in there then is nothing like it is today. Nothing.
Well, to be fair, NYU was able to raise a whole lot of money. I recall that a noodle magnate gave them millions in the late 1970s. I don't see anyone doing that for Rutgers. But, yes, that's how you do it.

That and the area around NYU changed from one of the worst to one of the coolest in the city during 90s and early 2000s.

USC is still kind of in a dumpy area. It always kind of mystified me how they got kids to go there over UCLA.

Some people like the more conservative scene at USC, others do not want as massive a school as UCLA. There's a place for everyone. I remember a USC/Cal football game in 1969 in which male USC cheerleaders claimed Cal's real name was "Californication." (yes, that expression originated well before the song of the same name.) We sat over on the Cal side and wondered aloud, "What's their problem?"

NYU's renaissance helped spark the improvement of the neighborhood. NYU's expansion plans are now said by some to be destroying the neighborhood. BTW, the original "noodle" money came from Mueller.

This post was edited on 4/9 9:10 AM by camdenlawprof

Originally posted by _dave_:
It is strange how people worry so much about how much other people make. The article even stated that the median salary for this position nationwide is $526K. It makes sense that positions in NJ, NY, and CA would pay much more than the average while other areas would pay much less than the average.
I think the logic is usually something like:

I only make 35k a year. My taxes pay this guys salary, therefore he should make less than me.

Or something like that.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
That and the area around NYU changed from one of the worst to one of the coolest in the city during 90s and early 2000s.

USC is still kind of in a dumpy area. It always kind of mystified me how they got kids to go there over UCLA.
I'm going to USC part time right now for my MBA so I can speak from a little bit of experience.

During our pre-fall orientation we had a meal in one of their alumni halls. It had ornate marble columns, beautiful tile floors, art deco on the walls... the works. One of my classmates remarked "this place literally shits money." It is so true - they don't have that much larger an endowment than some other schools ($4.5 Billion) but they are not shy about spending on extravagance. They can do it since they aren't a public school and no one will criticize them for it (and frequently expect it.)

The majority of people that I have met that go there full time are from money and want to be surrounded by people similarly positioned. They went to the ritzy private high school, and the next level up from that is this ritzy private university. There is so much pride in their alumni base around Los Angeles that you have to be a total idiot to not get hired within a month of graduating. Their career services prides themselves on nearly 95% placement within 6 months of graduation. That's not to say that UCLA grads have low employment rates, but their alumni network isn't nearly as prolific or blindly followed.

The area around USC is definitely sketchy - I get emails nearly daily with "Police Activity on Figueroa" or some cross street nearby. They have hired an army of unarmed security personnel that stand around the campus with radios to call police if they see an undesirable headed towards campus. On campus is an entirely different story. It is as picturesque a campus as I have seen with water features, impeccable landscaping, and beautiful architecture that (nearly) all matches.

I'm going to USC because their deadline was before UCLA's and there isn't an appreciable difference in part time MBA rankings between the two. Of all the mixers we've had with UCLA's business school, they seem generally more stand-offish and less eager to engage in pleasantries. It may have something to do with the type of people that the two schools attract. I say that without any bias because I am a Scarlet Knight and do not plan on living in SoCal after 2018 when I am due to PCS to my next assignment.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
Yes, As much as anything the school officials might have done Giuliani, Bloomberg and their police commissioners should get much of the credit for NYU going from safety school to in demand campus.

Definitely the feedback I get when I visit too.

I know some alumni of UCLA and Stanford and they really do not like USC. Not just sports wise but also the perceived Richie Rich nature and more conservative (perhaps by Socal standards) of the students and alumni.

I always figured it made more sense to go to UCLA for CA students because of cost and because Westwood is a much nicer area (though DTLA is closer to USC which is an upside these days versus blah Century City)...but I guess that is a very RU type opinion to have.

Whenever they complain though I always assure them...that TTFP fans think they're USC on Saturdays and Harvard during the week no matter what happened there, nevermind the attitude of the NJ alumni...we have it worse
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I also agree as much as Giuliani has gone totally off the rails he really did a very great service for not just NYU but all the NYC schools and even the surrounding areas...look at older pics of the subway alone. There have been rumors about Bloomberg trying to become mayor of London (he may have invested enough in the UK to be a citizen); too bad Giuliani did not devote himself more to urban issues and less to whatever you want to call what he is now.

ADVERTISEMENT