ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers WBB folds vs. BYU

Not surprising. Women's teams lacked depth for spark off of bench. Both men's and women's teams will have a lot of off season reflecting to do on how to close out wins.

• Angry
Reactions: Scarletwoman
CVS has to play a tight man to man defense and not give the other team wide open 3’s. That cost them this game
I would have liked to see them play man also, ...even during the Iowa game. The three was a strength of both teams. My guess is that coaches worry about the refs calling the ticky tack fouls. That has been the thing that has kept us from doing that in the past.

Sorry, Viv. I didn't see BYU get "some lucky breaks." Saw them rebound and hit open 3s.

Reactions: rimsky
Sorry, Viv. I didn't see BYU get "some lucky breaks." Saw them rebound and hit open 3s.

Lucky breaks do not exclude rebounds and made threes. Look at the box score--it was such a close game that luck is also a factor.

One bit of luck is that BYU's streak came at the right time and was one shot long enough. RU had its own streaks earlier in the game and started to score again at the end but ran out of time after getty sloppy with the ball.

Sadly, since the elite 8 of 2008, few teams have done less with more than Rutgers. This program had elite potential written all over it...maybe not UConn level elite but perhaps baylor or Stanford or ND level. Instead constant underachievement.

what cvs has accomplished at ru is indeed impressive, 2 FFs and several E8s but coming off the championship game appearance, it was all there...it just never materialized to the degree it could have.🤷🏻‍♂️

Sadly, since the elite 8 of 2008, few teams have done less with more than Rutgers. This program had elite potential written all over it...maybe not UConn level elite but perhaps baylor or Stanford or ND level. Instead constant underachievement.

what cvs has accomplished at ru is indeed impressive, 2 FFs and several E8s but coming off the championship game appearance, it was all there...it just never materialized to the degree it could have.🤷🏻‍♂️
Agreed we have been nothing more than mediocre the last 13 years and we know people will want to compare this to the mens program but this is not a comparison. With what CVS has been making all these years its time but she basically will not leave and Hobbs cannot let her go this has to be the final contract and the school must hire a completely new regime who will develop this talent that we have going forward

Lucky breaks do not exclude rebounds and made threes. Look at the box score--it was such a close game that luck is also a factor.

One bit of luck is that BYU's streak came at the right time and was one shot long enough. RU had its own streaks earlier in the game and started to score again at the end but ran out of time after getty sloppy with the ball.

in a sense, everything comes down to lucky breaks. But grabbing rebounds and hitting open shots don’t fall into the general category of lucky breaks, any more so than does making free throws. I checked the box score and watched the game. “Outplayed,” but not “lucky breaks.” A bad look, as well, for a coach to bring that in.

Agreed we have been nothing more than mediocre the last 13 years and we know people will want to compare this to the mens program but this is not a comparison. With what CVS has been making all these years its time but she basically will not leave and Hobbs cannot let her go this has to be the final contract and the school must hire a completely new regime who will develop this talent that we have going forward

I actually think she has developed the talent she had on this year's team very well: Neither Tekia, Mael, Arella, or Tyia were world beaters out of HS; meanwhile Diamond was everything people said she was. The problems from yesterday were not about individual development, but a poor showing from the team; RE unforced turnovers, defense, and losing out on key rebounds.

1 - What does the women's program have to do with the men's program?

2 - Mediocre is harsh, disappointing would be more apt, I think. When we moved out to Tucson in 2011 Rutgers looked like it was shaping up for a good run and Arizona was in a huge downward spiral to the bottom of the PAC. Rutgers has never been "bad", trust me on this, Arizona was bad. They looked like Rutgers football from the Terry Shea era. A new coach was quite effective here, but I can point to other programs - including Kansas, Kansas State, Washington, Utah, etc. where the new coach didn't turn out to be all that, either.

3. - As far as the salary, a lot of a coach's salary comes from shoe deals and the like. That's a fact of life.

Reactions: Scarletwoman

No on the elite - potential or otherwise. Very good, yes, 2 elite players, yes. Probably the best team RU has put on the court for a good number of years and that makes the failure to advance all the more disappointing.

But Baylor / Stanford - no. Notre Dame - right now, I would not suggest using Notre Dame as an example. Their message board pundits all want to fire the coach after 1 year. Which is why message boards are worth what you pay for them.

And your 2nd comment about not materializing is, in fact, quite true I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT