ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers women's basketball falls to Penn State despite Destiny Adams' career day

Just goes to show how quickly things can turn around when you can add experienced talent, with one of them being WNBA-caliber.

As I mentioned a year or two back, the additions to Kieger's staff at PSU are saving her job. I knew Terri Williams would help bring players that Carolyn wasn't able to get to come there. I see they have added the WNBA guard from the Conn Sun, N. Hiedeman.

We have had their number for a while,...even in our down times. Last few years, we just had to keep M. Marissa from going for 40 and keep everyone else in check. Easy. Then they added Lapinus who brought a defensive intensity. Still, no problem.

Now, with just two key transfers and a couple of promising frosh and sophs, they have a team that is a step or two ahead of us in the development stages.

The two transfers were all the difference in why we could not stay close with or beat them as we did in prior years. Valladay was incredible on both ends in the early part of the game. Never seen her play like that at Virginia. Owusu came in and immediately showed that she was on another level than everyone else on the court. We took to long to run double teams at her to make her give it up. She picked us apart like Tom Brady with all day to throw.

You almost forgot that Marissa was on this team. Lapinus was in foul trouble and barely played. The team has depth. The young players were money from the arc which makes it tough since Owusu, Marissa, and Valladay are strong from there and on the drive.

Seems like Williams brought in players that allow them to have a pressure defensive/uptempo offensive identity.

With all that said, there were positives on our side when looking at the scoring ability of a number of our players. They beat us because their guards are more experienced and physically stronger. Valladay wore them out, almost single-handedly with the....CVS-style pressure.

What we saw with Owusu, being able to control the offense, make the right pass, and get herself an open shot at any time,....this is what I believe Kiyomi will be able to do once she get acclimated.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT