ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Johnson

MadRU

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2001
If anyone saw the latest Rutgers basketball Story this week, Eddie said that Ryan Johnson constantly makes more shots in practice than anyone.

Hopefully Ryan adds some strength before next season. 6'7" 2/3 with a nice shot would be a welcome addition.

Watching the other teams they can all shoot. hope Ryan can shoot.

I try to watch this show and forgot it yesterday & this morning. Is it on again today on some channel? I see that several weeks ago it was on MSG+ at 10AM so I just put that station on and am hoping it comes on. RU has done one horrible job with this show this year. In the past every week they posted the times and channels it would be on every week. They also kept the show on their site (RU vision) so if you missed the show you could watch it on scarletknights.com. This year they don't allow that on their site. I have noticed that the times are not always the same. I think there might be one more show or was this the last one for the season?

Originally posted by MadRU:
"If anyone saw the latest Rutgers basketball Story this week, Eddie said that Ryan Johnson constantly makes more shots in practice than anyone."

Isn't that sorta like being the tallest midget ?
I sure hope he IS a shooter.....we could use them.

I keep on saying i think this kid will be a big asset.

Big ten length, just needs bulk. Also visited Minnosota before he choose Rutgers.

We'll have depth next year. That's a word we haven't been able to use in a while.

Next year it is very important that we get 30 min/g from a shooting guard that can be a threat behind the three point line without being a liability defensively. We have three people to fill those minutes-Johnson, Goode, and WIlliams. If I can get say 3-5 successful threes a game combined from those three we will be in a very good place.

Next year it is very important that we get 30 min/g from a shooting guard that can be a threat behind the three point line without being a liability defensively. We have three people to fill those minutes-Johnson, Goode, and WIlliams. If I can get say 3-5 successful threes a game combined from those three we will be in a very good place.

Exactly We can't have offense threats and defensive huge liabilities.

That is the jury out on Goode right now. Aggs and i have talked that he could be a good shooter, but is he athletic enough to keep up with big ten guards?I think he will be.

All these picks are interesting but with what EJ had to sell, all his recruits make a lot of sense. Have a defined rule, have big ten length and height, can shoot, etc. Non over recruited at all besides Sanders.

It would be nice to have Johnson play a 2-3 position. He would definitely be able to get his shot off at the 2 you would think. In HS he played a variety of roles. It was said he gets after it defensively but he needs 10-15 pounds most definitely to be effective.

Amazing how good some of our guys look in practice and the off-season. Heard something similar about Goode right when Mack wanted him to play this year. Let's see either of these guys do it in a game then we will know if we something to lift what otherwise looks like a very gloomy forecast for next year.

Haha - Johnny Blake. I have a great story there. I was at college ave gym playing shortly after he arrived on campus. He was up in the stands and watching all the action...saw me play a game or two and was cheering me on, which was hilarious! He came down and told me who he was and wanted to run with me - i was floored. Anyway, we ran two games together and DOMINATED...i threw him a beautiful lob dunk from halfcourt and he went nuts.

Anyway, moral of the story for me was this: No matter how much you can play in a pick up game and dominate, playing at the DI level is another ball game all together.

I hope he isn't just ahooting the lights out against the walk-ons :-)!

All I know is that Rutgers will be losing approximately 28 points per game with the graduation of Jack and Mack which clearly wasn't enough points to have a winning team because the rest of the players were basically non scorers.

3:00 o'clock johnny, remember him well... in practice shot the three at about 60/70 percent.... in a game, he could not find the basket..... hence his nickname

I am hoping the Williams, is not the second coming.... he sure looks like it now.... but he does defend, drive well.... his passing as well as the whole teams passing needs a lot of work

All we need next year from the 3 point line is an average of 7 for 20 per game (35%) Some games it may be lower, some will be higher if a guy gets hot.

This year Rutgers is 29.5% shooting 3's, opponents are 33%. Rutgers hits 5 per game this year, opponents hit 7 per game. Of course there have been some opponents that have a lot more than 7. The game by game breakdown would be interesting to see.

The disadvantage in total 3's made is 60 or 180 points for the entire season. However, that differential is probably higher during B1G play and the current 11 game losing streak. Opponents have taken 596 3's, Rutgers has only taken 471. Note: The 20 three's per game matches the number of three's by opponents. I'm curious how that opponent number of 596 matches with other B1G teams. I'll need to go to their sites to see, that would be a very interesting number to see.

One of the biggest problems in B1G play is that opponents are keying on Mack and taking away his 3 point shot.

Need to load the game by game stats in excel to get those details.

Shooters Matter !!!

This post was edited on 2/28 5:35 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio

Crib - bet we played against one another then...i lived at sonny werblin for about 2 years lol...'95 and '96...i think Johnny was '94? Can't remember.

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:
All we need next year from the 3 point line is an average of 7 for 20 per game (35%) Some games it may be lower, some will be higher if a guy gets hot.

This year Rutgers is 29.5% shooting 3's, opponents are 33%. Rutgers hits 5 per game this year, opponents hit 7 per game. Of course there have been some opponents that have a lot more than 7. The game by game breakdown would be interesting to see.

The disadvantage in total 3's made is 60 or 180 points for the entire season. However, that differential is probably higher during B1G play and the current 11 game losing streak. Opponents have taken 596 3's ( 199-596), Rutgers has only taken 471 ( 139-471 ). Note: The 20 three's per game matches the number of three's by opponents. I'm curious how that opponent number of 596 matches with other B1G teams. I'll need to go to their sites to see, that would be a very interesting number to see.

One of the biggest problems in B1G play is that opponents are keying on Mack and taking away his 3 point shot.

Need to load the game by game stats in excel to get those details.

Shooters Matter !!!

This post was edited on 2/28 5:35 PM by RU-Choppin-Ohio
All games:

OSU opponents on 3 point shoots: 183-578

MSU opponents on 3 point shoots: 157-519

Purdue opponents on 3 point shoots: 166-469

Rutgers opponents on 3 point shoots: 199-596

The defense is a reason teams are getting more looks from 3.

Our 3 point shooting accuracy is don pretty low on the reason we have been so bad. We aren't losing close games.

Funny stuff and true stuff on the JC recruit hopefuls. Also remember the kid Pete Chilcutt (sp?) who came in as a point guard recruit for Wenzel. Most of us that played against him in rec centers were like "Are You Kidding Me?" That being said there were some stud football players that could ball, namely guys like Jay Bellamy could have been all conference.

GO RU

Just a hunch but I think Daniels will blend with next year's bunch and be a breakout rock star..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT