ADVERTISEMENT

Saratoga restaurants & bars

JERZEE73

All American
Dec 21, 2001
looking for some help, haven't been there in about 12 years.
Remember the Old Bryan restaurant, also Hattie's & Cliffs mentioned by a friend
Suggestions?
Thanks

looking for some help, haven't been there in about 12 years.
Remember the Old Bryan restaurant, also Hattie's & Cliffs mentioned by a friend
Suggestions?
Thanks
Went to Old Bryan yesterday -- too hot and wet (rainy) for our group at the track. Terrific bar. Hattie's is great. Still open. Cliff's is closed. Now called Carsons. Have not been to Carsons.

Went to Old Bryan yesterday -- too hot and wet (rainy) for our group at the track. Terrific bar. Hattie's is great. Still open. Cliff's is closed. Now called Carsons. Have not been to Carsons.
There was a bar with a huge outside patio in back, can't remember its' name. Might have been on Caroline Street. Remember they had nearly daily deliveries of Guiness flown in from Ireland during race season, if I'm not mistaken.

I highly recommend Druthers. Great beer selection and outdoor seating

There was a bar with a huge outside patio in back, can't remember its' name. Might have been on Caroline Street. Remember they had nearly daily deliveries of Guiness flown in from Ireland during race season, if I'm not mistaken.
Gaffney's?

Wasn't there an upscale after the races bar near the entrance to the clubhouse? Name was Cero's or something?

Actually was there a few weeks ago for a wedding. Highly recommend Druther's. I believe it's fairly new. They have their own brewery, and outside patio.

As for hotels I stayed at the Pavillion Grande and it was great. It was originally built to be rented as condo's, but because of the economy they turned it into a hotel. Definitely was happy with my choice.

Wasn't there an upscale after the races bar near the entrance to the clubhouse? Name was Cero's or something?

Siro's is now the Hunt & Fish Club, which I believe is an offshoot of an NYC restaurant interest. No reports on quality of the fare.

Siro's was the biggest ripoff in Saratoga but it's location was perfect right outside the track so after a day of racing the place would be jammed. My favorite place is also right outside the track Across from the stable gate on Neilson Ave called the Horseshoe Bar and Grill. A great casual place with very good BBQ. Great outdoor setup and reasonable drink/beer prices

If you want to rent a place for a Saratoga Springs stay rather than go the hotel/motel route, I recommend Marino's Saratoga Realty.

2nd the Parting glass. Havent been there in 10 yrs so don't know if owners have maintained it.

There is a shot and beer place right by the main entrance. I had the very good fortune of going up for a week at a time with my buddy who was a stable manager, the owner rented a house down the street (same block) as the track main entrance. Buddy's wife loved the beach, he rented a shore house for her and her friends, and off to the Spa for us. One evening, 9:30 or so, I walk down the street, see this place and go in. Not crowded, simple decor, great for a beer and burger. Jack VanBerg, Shug, and Phil Hauswald standing right there. Van Berg says howdie young man, how are you?......you're not a horse man, are you? Told him I'm a music teacher, my connection to the track, we chatted, had nice things to say about teaching/teachers, bought me a Bud.

Hattie's fried chicken- yum.
Is Mrs Londons Bakery and Cafe still there? Good breakfast stuff.

Mrs. Londons - that's the bakery we always stopped at when heading out. Always brought treats home for our families.

If you haven't been to Saratoga in awhile, you are in for a surprise. There are wonderful restaurants all over town. A lot on Phila Street and a lot across the street on Broadway. Old Bryan is ok but there are much better choices. If you want good Italian , there is Chianti and for steak, there is Prime at the Saratoga National Golf Course which is exceptional but expensive. There is also a great brew pub on the south side of Broadway (the chef is a CIA grad). The name of the place escapes me. There are also a couple of good Italian restaurants on Lake Saratoga.

I would also recommend going to the track early and having breakfast there as they put the ponies through their rounds. Uncommon Grounds is the only place where you will find a bagel that remotely compares to NJ bagels and they also have great coffee. Finally, my favorite bookstore in the world (Northshire Books) just opened up their 2nd store on Broadway (the first one is in Manchester Vt). They also have great food and coffee.

Have fun.

ADVERTISEMENT