ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano would've landed one of the QBs

Yeah he quit and went on to a .300 record in the NFL.

Good coaches win. The recruiting is similar the past 10 years with a more difficult schedule last year. If you can't understand that you're in denial.

Yes we will see. It's a brutal schedule. Not even comperable to BE 2.0 schedules. Winning 8 games is like winning 10 in the old BE 2.0.

If you want to qualify everything that makes KF's winning percentage even more impressive.

Don't kid yourself. The teams RU beat last year were awful. On the opposite end, RU was absolutely man-handled by the quality teams.

Reactions: RU5781
Schiano would've landed one of the QBs.... and then given him no QB coach and made him look at the sidelines 10 times before every snap?

YES! This was one of the most painful things to witness of the Schiano offense - just when you thought things might start to really click, the momentum gets all bogged down by the convoluted sideline communications process. - and then when the play finally goes off - it is some unimaginative dud that makes you wonder why it was so hard to call.

By no means was I a Schiano fan, but he would have landed either JG or Haskins. That's the truth, but...Flood striking out on recruits isn't a bad thing. It gives JH reason to replace him with our first big name hire in a few seasons.
Sure he would have. He had such a steller record of bringing in top QB's over 11 seasons. He was so good at it that he didn't even see the necessity for having a QB coachto better develope these QB's.

One thing- Schiano never lost a recruit to Edsall.

And Savage was begging the NCAA to come back here and play for GS.

GS was a better recruiter. KF is getting classes worse than we had in the BE in the B1G.

Reactions: RU5781
Yeah he quit and went on to a .300 record in the NFL.

Good coaches win. The recruiting is similar the past 10 years with a more difficult schedule last year. If you can't understand that you're in denial.

Yes we will see. It's a brutal schedule. Not even comperable to BE 2.0 schedules. Winning 8 games is like winning 10 in the old BE 2.0.

If you want to qualify everything that makes KF's winning percentage even more impressive.

I think recruiting now better than the time of Big East 1.0?...when we played Miami, VT, BC, WV.....Are we not better now?...Is the divide between those teams that were above us then and our current foes now in B1G?

As for GS as coach...not gonna happen here...I like MadHats Illinois theory tho.

GS was a better recruiter. KF is getting classes worse than we had in the BE in the B1G.

Again, I disagree that our recruiting is worse.
I REALLY like our Defense...if our DBs and LBs come around.

Our defense was horrendous last year. What are you relying on?

GS got guys like DMac with no offers and developed them. We are now in the B1G, getting players with no or few P5 offers, and not developing them. We had really one good game defensively in UNC- it was the only team capable of scoring that didn't score a ton against us.

Our defense was horrendous last year. What are you relying on?

GS got guys like DMac with no offers and developed them. We are now in the B1G, getting players with no or few P5 offers, and not developing them. We had really one good game defensively in UNC- it was the only team capable of scoring that didn't score a ton against us.

Depth at DL and 1 or 2 key areas to be plugged in the backfield and LB.

How many of our beatings last year were because of a missed tackle/angle to ball by DBs and their guys being faster than our LBs to the sidelines?

GS.should develop DBs...that WAS his thing.

Last edited:
But you are assuming that is going to work.

Look, I get the pro-Flood positions, but they rely on everything breaking the right way. And that hasn't happened that much during his tenure. We all love the two star guys who turn into big stars. But it's no coincidence that Hamilton was an anchor of the D, and what his HS ranking was. That happens more often that Huggins getting beat out by two star guys.

I want to go into a season thinking we are real set at position besides WR. It's hard right now.

Lazy and not intense?

WTF Are you talking about?

Please show me concrete examples and exactly who thinks he is lazy and not intense

I can understand disappointment in not getting Haskins, but this could be the stupidest post I have ever seen
This will probably get deleted but a mod on another board pretty much said he was hearing something like this from recruits and the high school coaches.

Flood is developing a reputation of being lazy and not intense.

I can see that too. Yea he's a nice guy, but he doesn't have that fire like a Jim Harbaugh.
You mean the same Jim Harbaugh that the 49ers let go after he led them to three straight NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl? The guy has to be a nutjob maniac for them to let him go.

Lazy and not intense?

WTF Are you talking about?

Please show me concrete examples and exactly who thinks he is lazy and not intense

I can understand disappointment in not getting Haskins, but this could be the stupidest post I have ever seen

This is just what I've read and heard. Many people feel the same.

ArminRU said:
Flood is developing a reputation of being lazy and not intense.

I can see that too. Yea he's a nice guy, but he doesn't have that fire like a Jim Harbaugh.

"csphi,
some posts defy logic and seem to be more on the idiotic side because the poster doesn't have a clue
ArminRU., in my opinion, just made one of those posts because he/she is just looking to bash and the truth doesn't have to be a part of his/her bash.
Lousy recruiter, not the type of personality that makes a good recruiter might be guesses, but better to say that than the BS ArminRU
said.
ArminRU , as far as I'm concerned, is getting a reputation of being someone that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Whatever you say. Ask Todderick if he's heard similar and get back to me.

This is just what I've read and heard. Many people feel the same.
Please post a link IF you really read any such thing . I don't believe that you have. If you have read that he is lazy in recruiting, it is one of those situations where someone like you throws out some BS like this and a couple of other posters repeat and site each other as sources of it being true. It's the typical circle jerk of BS from the usual suspects.

Stop rationalizing.

Oh and to the above, a guy who is getting paid $3M a year tp spend time with his kids would stay away from coaching. Especially a righteous family man. And especially a man who can coach as a HC at a majority of college programs or as a DC in the pros. You think Schiano has been banished from the football world??? What are you crazy????

GS was working OT last year to get another coaching gig. Why do you think he did that interview with SI.com to show off the new improved self?

Last edited:
Schiano would've landed one of the QBs.... and then given him no QB coach and made him look at the sidelines 10 times before every snap?

A fing men. I did appreciate Schiano building the program from less than scratch. But guys he was just awful at offense and especially developing QBs. No QB coach, switching the offense to the spread when you finally recruited a 4 star pocket passer (Savage), etc. Schiano is a fantastic DC but he had no clue that great QB play is what gets you to play at an elite level.

Again. I never said Schiano was a good coach. I personally thought he was a bad coach who underachieved. But, I do believe he would've landed one of the QBs.

I think GS was gone when Savage tried to come back,

"That's the truth"...

That's your opinion, and nothing more.

Surprised this isn't here. LOL Great movie and I agree w/ you.

3s3k1d.jpg

Flood's college winning % .590

Schiano's % .504

That's all that matters. Recruiting doesn't mean anything if you go .500. And I don't want to hear throw out this year or that year or blah blah blah blah. So save it. We have heard all the excuses. Winning matters. Period. End of story.

Stop-the-Madness1_zpsbagag09v.jpg

One of the dumbest post ever... the blah blah blah part is very relevant.

In 10+ years Schiano landed 1 top QB, Tom Savage, and ruined him.

Sill

No you're wrong. Facts are only dumb when a poster doesn't agree.

Got it?:)
Actually he got D.C. Jefferson, Tom Savage and Gary Nova in successive years immediately after we started to win and up to when he left. Now D.C. might not have played QB for us but he was a highly regarded QB recruit that was being compared to Jamarcus Russell when he was committed to LSU at the time.

Going before that you could even add CPE and Teel, both players that actually had big ten offers among them.

Im by no means a Schiano fanatic like that but it is what it is.

Last edited:
I love these threads: "Schiano would have gotten one of the two QB's" every board needs a resident clairvoyant

Actually he got D.C. Jefferson, Tom Savage and Gary Nova in successive years immediately after we started to win and up to when he left. Now D.C. might not have played QB for us but he was a highly regarded QB recruit that was being compared to Jamarcus Russell when he was committed to LSU at the time.

Going before that you could even add CPE and Teel, both players that actually had big ten offers among them.

Im by no means a Schiano fanatic like that but it is what it is.

CPE, Teel (2*), or even Nova (3*) weren't as highly rated. DC came here because Schiano was willing to let him try to play QB where as most schools wanted him to play a different position.

Savage was the only one who was rated as highly in HS.

BTW, Dare is rated exactly the same as Nova was. Rettig higher than any of them, and some sites had Laviano rated highly too so what does that say as far as comparing the QB recruiting of Schiano and Flood?

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
CPE, Teel (2*), or even Nova (3*) weren't as highly rated. DC came here because Schiano was willing to let him try to play QB where as most schools wanted him to play a different position.

Savage was the only one who was rated as highly in HS.

BTW, Dare is rated exactly the same as Nova was. Rettig higher than any of them, and some sites had Laviano rated highly too so what does that say as far as comparing the QB recruiting of Schiano and Flood?
It tells me that Flood is great at recruiting and closing on QB recruits when he has no competition against him. I'm not giving him Rettig, Rettig was a transfer. And even if we did he chose us out of UCLA and TCU. Out of Laviano, Dare, and Rescigno, Dare was the only one that had schools actively coming for him (or so i've heard from the mods). Laviano had BC but BC filled up slots before he came to us.

So basically Flood had to beat out a total of three BCS schools for our QBs, some of whom filled up on their QB needs before recruits chose us. Teel, Nova, CPE, DC, Savage, Jabu and etc. all had at least one BCS offer, and most had multiple. Rankin was 2012 and both a Flood and Schiano recruit so you can call that a wash or a strike against both, up to you.

I'm not part of the bring back Schiano crowd.......but, Schiano recruited for BE/AAC Rutgers. Schiano recruiting for B1G Rutgers and he knocks it out of the park.

It tells me that Flood is great at recruiting and closing on QB recruits when he has no competition against him. I'm not giving him Rettig, Rettig was a transfer. And even if we did he chose us out of UCLA and TCU. Out of Laviano, Dare, and Rescigno, Dare was the only one that had schools actively coming for him (or so i've heard from the mods). Laviano had BC but BC filled up slots before he came to us.

So basically Flood had to beat out a total of three BCS schools for our QBs, some of whom filled up on their QB needs before recruits chose us. Teel, Nova, CPE, DC, Savage, Jabu and etc. all had at least one BCS offer, and most had multiple. Rankin was 2012 and both a Flood and Schiano recruit so you can call that a wash or a strike against both, up to you.

Sorry but I had to go to work.

If you're not giving him Rettig even tho as you said he had other schools after him? Ok, then you only want to consider what fits an agenda?

Nova only came to RU after Pitt fired their staff when RU hired the 2 guys who were his recruiters, Hafley and the OC. You also can't just choose to ignore offers such as Laviano's. What kind of discussion is it when you set the rules to suit your argument. A BS one, that's what.

Reactions: JQRU91
Ha. Would Schiano offer either kid's father a job?

Is that the definition of "lazy" and "not intense" now? Not offering cash to kids committing? One QB was committed since December, and got his dad a job at UA. The other QB was committed since August, and got his dad a job at UT. How exactly is Flood supposed to recruit when parents are willing to sell their sons out for a payday?

Purely speculative opinions on both sides of this argument but logic says the OP is correct. Consensus is that Flood is not a good recruiter. Consensus is that GS had some charisma and star power, characteristics that many posters have said Flood is lacking and needs to improve. GS was a closer, Flood is not. Both QBs had strong ties to Rutgers and would have considered RU regardless of who was the head coach. Therefore Greg would have the same opportunity as Flood to sell to the program and his vision to both recruits. Greg is more charismatic, has star power, had a vision for RU football and is the better closer. Therefore had Greg still been coach there is a higher probability that at least one of the QBs would have committed to RU. Heck it is even more probable that GS would have netted both JG and DH. I rest my case.

Sorry but I had to go to work.

If you're not giving him Rettig even tho as you said he had other schools after him? Ok, then you only want to consider what fits an agenda?

Nova only came to RU after Pitt fired their staff when RU hired the 2 guys who were his recruiters, Hafley and the OC. You also can't just choose to ignore offers such as Laviano's. What kind of discussion is it when you set the rules to suit your argument. A BS one, that's what.
If you reread my post I mentioned that our competition for rettig as a transfer was UCLA and TCU. I'm not giving Flood the rest of Rettigs offer list out of high school because he did not have to compete against them for his transfer.

I also mentioned that Laviano received a Boston College offer. His only other offer. An offer that was no longer on the table when BC received a commitment from their second QB of the class. But I gave you that as well.

In the end like I mentioned, Flood had to beat a total of three BCS schools for all the QBs he had to recruit. You can even take Nova out of the equation if that suits you. Schiano had to beat out multiple bcs schools for each one of his QB recruits not named Tom Lang, Dodd or Schimko. For most of them, he had to beat out better bcs schools than ucla, tcu and bc. I don't have an agenda, like I said I'm not a schiano fan, but I'm calling it like it is.

Last edited:
On page one, someone mentioned that they had RU penciled in for 9 wins in 2014.....say what??......there was me and perhaps one other person that felt confident we would finish 8-4 last year and I had RU starting 5-0 before meeting Michigan....lots of people here are revisionists and had RU at 4-8 and 5-7 but not suddenly expect RU to beat out Urban Meyer for recruits with Schiano, when he couldn't beat out Wannstedt at average Pitt for kids 5 years ago.....

I didn't go through page 2 of the thread, but people forget that Robb Smith was the DC under Flood in his first year to make a good defense, great....he also did wonders at Arkansas this year as well. Smith was as accomplished a DC as Schiano ever was and will probably land a HC gig very soon....there is no Robb Smith if Schiano is here and Smith is a better DC, period.

As far as RU and winning/perception, it starts and ends with Joe Rossi, period. The pieces are in place with the exception of DT, which Schiano neglected recruiting size for, that would have been a 4th year junior or 5th year senior this year.

The only viable argument would be that Schiano would stop Ohio State, Wisconsin defensively and left the offense alone enough or not mettle enough to land a QB, after ruining Savage and others....which is also laughable as well.....and that Schaino would have actually hired Fridge as an OC...are we really saying that Schiano would have caved in and had Robb Smith and Ralph Friedgen on his staff, while earning 2M per year at the same time?? Really folks???

Let's just stop the shenanigans and watch Russo verbal tomorrow for RU and keep it moving.....the rest is absurd at best....

ADVERTISEMENT