ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano would've landed one of the QBs

I'd be shocked if less than 99.9999% of the board didn't agree with you. But that wasn't the question that YesRU posed & you answered with no doubt.

There is obviously no way to no way to have a definitive answer to the OP. But, if you come to terms with the fact that Schiano was on average a better recruiter than Flood, he would've had a better shot.

Flood had no problems recruiting Nova.... o wait..... Nova decomitted from Pitt and it took him hiring Hafley to get him.... Yep, no doubt Schiano gets Haskins and Guarantano....

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
When he decides? He is a pariah. Get a clue. Wake up. There is a mountain of evidence. Did you watch any of the videos? 17 months is an eternity.

There are plenty more.

So he is waiting until the money stops coming in to get back into coaching? That's a really bad idea. And pretty sure that's not how it works. You can still get a new job and work something out with the old contract.

So in another year and a half he wil be coaching a P5 school or be a DC for an NFL team? Maybe, maybe if he is lucky he can find a team way way down on their luck. But every day that goes by that's less likely.

Evidence that he failed as coach in the NFL and the players hated him. He didn't win in college or the pros.

There is video of the local Tampa TV shows talking about all the baffling bone headed stuff he did down there. It was a disaster. Google it.

Does anyone doubt Rutgers would be in a better position today if Schiano never left? Seriously.
I do....I've Been told by legit people that TP told Schiano to entertain other offers after the embarrassment at UCONN. Funny how many people were fed up with him and his inability to deliver. If I could archive one day it would be the SFU game before Deering went off. Everyone I know, myself included, was done with Schiano.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Evidence that he failed as coach in the NFL and the players hated him. He didn't win in college or the pros.

There is video of the local Tampa TV shows talking about all the baffling bone headed stuff he did down there. It was a disaster. Google it.
wow. You are completely insane.

I do....I've Been told by legit people that TP told Schiano to entertain other offers after the embarrassment at UCONN. Funny how many people were fed up with him and his inability to deliver. If I could archive one day it would be the SFU game before Deering went off. Everyone I know, myself included, was done with Schiano.

3 years after the fact, this info comes out?
Could be true, but feel more of bring RU to the next level, or not get another contract.
RU fans were increasingly becoming dissatisfied with minor bowl bids and no major ones, so I would imagine TP had a talk with Greg
about the direction the program didn't seem to be heading.

I'm a Schiano supporter, but know that just winning sometimes don't save a job when those wins don't get you where you want to be.
Schiano built the RU FB program into a respectable one ,up from a program everyone laugh at .
But he didn't bring RU to the next level and RU Fans expectations after the 2006 season demanded that.
To many RU fans were hurt by not becoming a top program after 2006 and it shows in how they dislike Schiano now. and make like
he didn't accomplish anything while he was the RU HC.
The only thing he really didn't accomplish, was reaching the expectations that he gave us.

Before Schiano arrived RU fans just hoped to win a game, maybe have a winning season and by some miracle even get a bowl bid.
After Schiano was HC for awhile, those hopes became demands and just going to a bowl wasn't good enough.
I'm thankful for Schiano giving me those expectations , just sorry that he couldn't deliver and know he left about the right time for him to go.
Maybe a year or two later than he should have.
But even saying that now, was sorry he left and think , with the right assistants, Schiano might have brought RU to a major bowl if he stayed.
But that could be wishful thinking on my part and since he never did, can't say he would have.

Reactions: Rutgers83
Dr. Potato said:

wow. You are completely insane.

+1
Just one rant after another and asking for someone to google something that should have been supplied , is ridiculous
Plus not winning in college is a little off the mark. Not winning enough would have been a saner version.

So you didnt watch any of the videos? It's not a rant. I linked specific videos from multiple sources. NFL coaches, announcers, players etc.

I formed my opinion based on the evidence. Not conjecture.

So you didnt watch any of the videos? It's not a rant. I linked specific videos from multiple sources. NFL coaches, announcers, players etc.

I formed my opinion based on the evidence. Not conjecture.

I will admit I didn't look at video and no excuse for that by me .
I just passed it by and when someone says google it tend to think they didn't supply the info they are asking others to find. My mistake .
I had seen a video putting Schiano down, but know every HC on the way out has talking heads going over every move that HC made looking
for things to make him look worse than he really was.
Schiano had trouble with his Tampa players because he was bringing discipline to an undisciplined team
When it's Lovie's time to go, expect the same type of treatment for him, only that he wads too lenient and lost the respect of the players because of that.
Every HC that's let go has every fault he has pointed out , but if he wins, those faults are signs of good coaching.
Being a good offensive gameday coach I won't accuse Greg of, but he was right about Freeman and was knocked for dumping Josh .

Why are we still talking about Schiano? He's not here anymore. For some of you he's like a first girlfriend that you can't seem to get over.

3 years after the fact, this info comes out?
Could be true, but feel more of bring RU to the next level, or not get another contract.
RU fans were increasingly becoming dissatisfied with minor bowl bids and no major ones, so I would imagine TP had a talk with Greg
about the direction the program didn't seem to be heading.

I'm a Schiano supporter, but know that just winning sometimes don't save a job when those wins don't get you where you want to be.
Schiano built the RU FB program into a respectable one ,up from a program everyone laugh at .
But he didn't bring RU to the next level and RU Fans expectations after the 2006 season demanded that.
To many RU fans were hurt by not becoming a top program after 2006 and it shows in how they dislike Schiano now. and make like
he didn't accomplish anything while he was the RU HC.
The only thing he really didn't accomplish, was reaching the expectations that he gave us.

Before Schiano arrived RU fans just hoped to win a game, maybe have a winning season and by some miracle even get a bowl bid.
After Schiano was HC for awhile, those hopes became demands and just going to a bowl wasn't good enough.
I'm thankful for Schiano giving me those expectations , just sorry that he couldn't deliver and know he left about the right time for him to go.
Maybe a year or two later than he should have.
But even saying that now, was sorry he left and think , with the right assistants, Schiano might have brought RU to a major bowl if he stayed.
But that could be wishful thinking on my part and since he never did, can't say he would have.
This didn't come out 3 years after the fact. It has been discussed in depth multiple times here by a number of people.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
This didn't come out 3 years after the fact. It has been discussed in depth multiple times here by a number of people.

Was that discussion by people who knew personaly or herd it from a friend.
Not saying wasn't true, but saying what TP said might not have been exactly like that when discussing Greg's future.

Here's a few articles about Schiano that might be worth considering , by the anti Schiano crowd ,before claiming he's the worst HC in the world.
Sullivan: NFL wasn’t a fit for fired Bucs coach Greg Schiano - Sports - NorthJersey.com
>“Having worked very closely with Greg over the years, he’s an excellent football coach and program builder and an even better person,” Tim Pernetti, the former Rutgers athletic director and fellow North Jersey native, told The Record on Monday.
“He’s proven to be successful at building long-lasting relationships with young people. He will no doubt land on his feet.”<
>An inability, or unwillingness, to change ultimately led to Schiano’s NFL demise. But those are characteristics that could vault him back to the top of the college game.
<http://www.northjersey.com/sports/s...red-bucs-coach-greg-schiano-1.653795?page=all

Explaining Greg Schiano's presence with New England Patriots - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN
>Our understanding of the situation is this: Schiano, who will continue to be paid by the Buccaneers for three more seasons, has a son who will graduate high school in 2015.
Rather than uprooting his family entering his son's final year in high school, Schiano's current plan is to stay in Tampa Bay and not officially work in the NFL this season.<
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...759320/explaining-schianos-presence-with-pats

Tampa Bay Buccaneers fire head coach Greg Schiano and GM Mark Dominik - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN
>Still, players seemed impressed with the way Schiano held the team together, insisting right up until the end that the coach never lost the locker room.
''In times like that you see a lot of guys crumble, a lot of guys break. You never saw a different attitude with him,'' McCoy said.
''You could never see if the media was getting to him or see if anything we were doing was getting to him. He came in every day and was the same person, regardless,'' McCoy added. ''... He's the most consistent thing in the building, I will give him that.''<
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...coach-greg-schiano-and-gm-mark-dominik-123013

I'm not trying to prove Schiano was a great , or even good, gameday coach, just showing what some posted about him might not be the whole story.

First, I'm not part of the anti schiano crowd and have enter said he wasn't an excellent coach. It's the ever growing myth of schiano I find laughable. As for my prior comment, my understanding was it came from someone close to the situation

Reactions: PaKnight
GS was an absolute disaster at TB and that's not really debatable. Towards the end of his tenure here, more people wanted him gone than to wanted him to stay. His record against power conference teams and teams with winning records is what .500, if that? Time to move on people, Flood is a better gameday coach.

I think Schiano was more of an entrepreneur at a start-up. Flood is the CEO who takes over and guides the ship.

I still think there's time for Flood to demonstrate that he can be a great recruiter. If you consider his 3 classes so far:

- 2013 - we weren't on our way until the Big 10 until 2 months before LOI day.
- 2014 - that was a top 20 class until everything went off the rails.
- 2015 - recruiting as a lame duck. Good finish to the year.

I give him 2016 to see if we finish with a top 35 class. I think if he does that, we're headed in the right direction. We are not going to become Ohio State overnight. We're still at least a decade away from being at that level.

1) the failure of Rutgers Sports was Fred Grunninger His hires were disasters
2) the Schinao hire was the right person at the right time.
3) Like said above Schiano was the rebuilder and Flood is more of a CEO
4) 4 pages of shoulda coulda woulda is asinine
5) Recruiting is an off season ESPN ploy so arses like all on this site can voice there half baked opinions just like sportscasters
Please all bury Schiano he is dead and gone and never coming back

1) the failure of Rutgers Sports was Fred Grunninger His hires were disasters
2) the Schinao hire was the right person at the right time.
3) Like said above Schiano was the rebuilder and Flood is more of a CEO
4) 4 pages of shoulda coulda woulda is asinine
5) Recruiting is an off season ESPN ploy so arses like all on this site can voice there half baked opinions just like sportscasters
Please all bury Schiano he is dead and gone and never coming back

For the sake of the program let's hope you're wrong.

We'll see what happens when that Buc money runs out.
You feel he'll get no major offers , I think he will.
I won't claim to be right if he lands a Mid major HC position, nor will I say I'm wrong about if he gets a mid major HC position.
If he gets a pro or major college DC position, I'll be right, in my opinion that he was being choosey.
If not , will admit I was wrong. I'm not ashamed to say I not always right about something and feel its better to admit when you're wrong then try to make excuses or BS about what you said.

I will even venture to say: Schiano might even get hired to rebuild a p-5 school's FB program ( school like Illinois comes to mind), but won't predict that.
Will predict Pro DC or Major College program or mid major HC.
As for Schiano's DC credentials, besides being Miami's DC( in which you give him little credit,) Greg was behind making RU great D presence

OK, we'll see where Greg ends up. My belief is that he wants a HC position in a P5 conference. Obviously that wasn't offered after the 2014 season, nor did we hear his name mentioned by anyone but his agent that he was in the mix for that type of job.

My belief is that Greg burned his bridges in the NFL in Tampa as both a DC or HC. His name is still a bit toxic in the NFL community.

But didn't Greg Robinson get a DC position with both Michigan and Texas after getting canned by Syracuse ? Schiano's reputation is probably no worse than Greg Robinson's so maybe there is hope for him. BTW Robinson is now DC at San Jose State, a very long way from Ann Arbor and Austin.

Only reason we got a long look from Haskins was because of Jabbie and Sanu, not a Flood or Schiano thing, he was staying home all along. We just made him pause. Schiano was able to close a few higher end recruits, four stars, but he never built depth, or even close to depth at qb - Jeremy Deering was one of our best qb's one year. Lots of opinions in this thread. Fact is Schiano got more four stars, to me fact is we will have four bona fide college level qb's this year, Laviano, Rettig, Gio and Dare, more depth than ever.

Schiano recruited Teel, that was a nice get. Schiano got Savage, kudos, but couldn't make him a player at RU even though he is very talented, that was bad. But Schiano struggled to get any real depth at qb, Flood seems to make it a priority and brings in a nice 3 star kid every year, plus some nice transfers. Nelson was also a good get, just didn't expect him to kick a guy into a coma.

Why would you pin all your hopes on the future of this program solely on Schiano coming back?

I'll revise. If Flood doesn't prove he has what it takes, let's hope we get Greg back instead of a less qualified coach.

I'm rooting for Flood first obviously. People take for granted that the anti flood crowd still know him succeeding is the best case for Rutgers they just don't see it happening.

I think the GS bashing is baffling. With that said, he's not here and it seems some of us just can't move on. Also, the season hasn't even started and it seems like the pitchforks are being prepared in advance for Flood. I don't think too highly on Flood's recruiting thus far but by the same token I don't want him to fail as he coaches on gameday.

^^-- only refers to 2015 draft, not enough to suggest NJ is not a pipeline state.

I was a big supporter of Coach Schiano, and I am now a big supporter of Coach Flood. I appreciate all the good things the Flood critics are saying about Schiano. I also appreciate all the good things the Schiano critics have to say about Flood. As has been stated, I am grateful to Greg for what he accomplished at RU. I think coach Flood took over at the perfect time, as he now can build on Greg's legacy.:)

LOL got to say your Robinson comparison is entertaining, but the fact you admitted that there is hope for Greg , shows you're not completely convinced of your own arguments merits. Only trying to convince yourself he can't get a good position when he 's ready to go back to work.

As for burning bridges and toxic , don't agree and feel if a pro HC thinks Schiano can help him win, Greg will be hired.
Schiano's time in Tampa makes it hard , for me, to think a Pro teams owner or GM would think of him as the HC they need, but a
HC at a major college program or in the pros might go after Schiano because they think he's the type of DC they need.
Don't think Schaino's name is too toxic to get a pro or major college DC position, but might be to toxic for a Pro HCing job.
Rebuilding ( as HC) a p-5 program that's down and hasn't been a power for a long time ( if ever) might be obtainable, but not a major program
that only recently been down on their luck is the what I see Greg's next HC position in college, or a mid major position that will have me say
Knightmoves was closer to the mark than I was.
Wouldn't be surprised if I was proven wrong , if Greg wants to stay in Tampa area, by Schiano taking the U SF HC position if the Bulls
decide to let Willie Taggart go and offer Greg a decent salary . Taggart is making a little over $1 million a year and think if they add $300,000 to that USF might have a chance to prove me wrong about being hired as a pro, major program DC with a p-5 rebuilding job HC position a possibility.

Only reason we got a long look from Haskins was because of Jabbie and Sanu, not a Flood or Schiano thing, he was staying home all along. We just made him pause. Schiano was able to close a few higher end recruits, four stars, but he never built depth, or even close to depth at qb - Jeremy Deering was one of our best qb's one year. Lots of opinions in this thread. Fact is Schiano got more four stars, to me fact is we will have four bona fide college level qb's this year, Laviano, Rettig, Gio and Dare, more depth than ever.

Schiano recruited Teel, that was a nice get. Schiano got Savage, kudos, but couldn't make him a player at RU even though he is very talented, that was bad. But Schiano struggled to get any real depth at qb, Flood seems to make it a priority and brings in a nice 3 star kid every year, plus some nice transfers. Nelson was also a good get, just didn't expect him to kick a guy into a coma.

Mike Teel was a 2* player. He was listed with a offer from Wisky and no other offers.

I think the GS bashing is baffling. With that said, he's not here and it seems some of us just can't move on. Also, the season hasn't even started and it seems like the pitchforks are being prepared in advance for Flood. I don't think too highly on Flood's recruiting thus far but by the same token I don't want him to fail as he coaches on gameday.

People didn't just bashing GS for no reason. Talk to the OP, he started it by digging up the whole GS discussion.

I am sincerely regretting stopping in on this trainwreck. This whole thread is so full of spin and misinformation it boggles the mind a little. A couple jumped out at me:

Actually [Schiano] got D.C. Jefferson, Tom Savage and Gary Nova in successive years immediately after we started to win and up to when he left. Now D.C. might not have played QB for us but he was a highly regarded QB recruit that was being compared to Jamarcus Russell when he was committed to LSU at the time.

Going before that you could even add CPE and Teel, both players that actually had big ten offers among them.

Im by no means a Schiano fanatic like that but it is what it is.

Tom Savage is the only highly rated QB to commit to Schiano. Teel was very lightly recruited, and the general belief on him was that he was nothing special. That is sometimes the case for high school quarterbacks who are surrounded by elite talent. He also never really performed for RU like an elite QB. He was realtively average, and his success was almost directly attributable to having the best receiver corps ever to play at RU.

No one ever sanely compared DC Jefferson to Jamarcus Russel. Not as a QB. DC flipped from LSU to RU because we agreed to let him play QB. LSU would only let him accept a scholarship to play safety; RU was the only school willing to offer him as a QB.

Gary Nova committed to Pitt over RU. He did not pick Schiano. He came to RU when his two recruiters were hired by Schiano/RU. Indeed, prior to that point Pitt had been killing us, and there is a lot of evidence that Schiano's sudden improvement in recruiting coincided not only with winning, but also with the hiring of the Pitt coaches.

The biggest difference is one has been unemployed for 17 months. One hasn't.

And this

Flood's college winning % .590

Schiano's % .504

I don't know how to put this delicately. Your repeated insistence that Schiano could not find a job coaching if he wanted to makes you sound like an idiot. He would have difficulty finding a top college HC job, no doubt about that. He could almost definitely get a job as a DC in college just about anywhere he wanted to, and likely in the pros if he waits for the right vacancy to come along, which is what I think he is doing.. He is probably one of the best defensive coaches available at any level.

His unemployment is almost definitely the result of the fact that as a college DC (or HC at a lower school), he will make less than 1/2 what the Bucs are currently paying him to spend time with his family.

As to the winning percentages. To not at least strike the 1st two years of Schiano's tenure is ludicrous. Schiano would have been ecstatic to come to RU with a roster full of "Flood caliber" recruits. The roster at the time had probably only a handful of players who could play on any BCS team, anywhere. If that. There was literally no chance for the team to compete, and most pundits expected the team to be winless.

Flood came on board in a year where the overwhelming consensus from both fans and experts was that we would win 10 games. He underperformed that mark only slightly, going 9-3 in the regular season.

Reactions: redking and MADHAT1
I am sincerely regretting stopping in on this trainwreck. This whole thread is so full of spin and misinformation it boggles the mind a little. A couple jumped out at me:

Tom Savage is the only highly rated QB to commit to Schiano. Teel was very lightly recruited, and the general belief on him was that he was nothing special. That is sometimes the case for high school quarterbacks who are surrounded by elite talent. He also never really performed for RU like an elite QB. He was realtively average, and his success was almost directly attributable to having the best receiver corps ever to play at RU.

No one ever sanely compared DC Jefferson to Jamarcus Russel. Not as a QB. DC flipped from LSU to RU because we agreed to let him play QB. LSU would only let him accept a scholarship to play safety; RU was the only school willing to offer him as a QB.

Gary Nova committed to Pitt over RU. He did not pick Schiano. He came to RU when his two recruiters were hired by Schiano/RU. Indeed, prior to that point Pitt had been killing us, and there is a lot of evidence that Schiano's sudden improvement in recruiting coincided not only with winning, but also with the hiring of the Pitt coaches.

I don't know how to put this delicately. Your repeated insistence that Schiano could not find a job coaching if he wanted to makes you sound like an idiot. He would have difficulty finding a top college HC job, no doubt about that. He could almost definitely get a job as a DC in college just about anywhere he wanted to, and likely in the pros if he waits for the right vacancy to come along, which is what I think he is doing.. He is probably one of the best defensive coaches available at any level.

His unemployment is almost definitely the result of the fact that as a college DC (or HC at a lower school), he will make less than 1/2 what the Bucs are currently paying him to spend time with his family.

As to the winning percentages. To not at least strike the 1st two years of Schiano's tenure is ludicrous. Schiano would have been ecstatic to come to RU with a roster full of "Flood caliber" recruits. The roster at the time had probably only a handful of players who could play on any BCS team, anywhere. If that. There was literally no chance for the team to compete, and most pundits expected the team to be winless.

Flood came on board in a year where the overwhelming consensus from both fans and experts was that we would win 10 games. He underperformed that mark only slightly, going 9-3 in the regular season.
I agree with 99.9% of what you said but I can't buy I to the expected 10 wins. First, it's very difficult to expect any team to win 10 games, especially one without way more talent than their peers. Second, going into the season Arkansasw as penciled in as a lost by pretty much everyone. They had a QB people though could go in the 1st round, a winning coach, on the road, and the mythical SEC persona. Obviously, none of that turned out true but pundits didn't know that at the time.

LOL got to say your Robinson comparison is entertaining, but the fact you admitted that there is hope for Greg , shows you're not completely convinced of your own arguments merits. Only trying to convince yourself he can't get a good position when he 's ready to go back to work.

As for burning bridges and toxic , don't agree and feel if a pro HC thinks Schiano can help him win, Greg will be hired.
Schiano's time in Tampa makes it hard , for me, to think a Pro teams owner or GM would think of him as the HC they need, but a
HC at a major college program or in the pros might go after Schiano because they think he's the type of DC they need.
Don't think Schaino's name is too toxic to get a pro or major college DC position, but might be to toxic for a Pro HCing job.
Rebuilding ( as HC) a p-5 program that's down and hasn't been a power for a long time ( if ever) might be obtainable, but not a major program
that only recently been down on their luck is the what I see Greg's next HC position in college, or a mid major position that will have me say
Knightmoves was closer to the mark than I was.
Wouldn't be surprised if I was proven wrong , if Greg wants to stay in Tampa area, by Schiano taking the U SF HC position if the Bulls
decide to let Willie Taggart go and offer Greg a decent salary . Taggart is making a little over $1 million a year and think if they add $300,000 to that USF might have a chance to prove me wrong about being hired as a pro, major program DC with a p-5 rebuilding job HC position a possibility.

I have gone on record a number of times saying that USF may be a good landing position for Greg as a HC if the Bulls give up on Taggart. I personally think that Greg's best coaching days are behind him and a directional FL school or an FIU or FL Atlantic may be a good fit for him. A P5 school's AD is likely to have a difficult time convincing the Boosters that a guy with Greg's track record is the answer for their FB program.

I only brought up the Greg Robinson story to show that even a guy like Robinson can get a DC position at a top school in spite of his HC record, so it's not entirely hopeless for Greg. But I dispute the argument that Greg's track record qualifies him as a DC in a pro or P5 program. He was a DC for two years at Miami 15 years ago and I don't buy the argument that he was the de facto RU DC while on the banks. The fact that he is very disliked by NFL players, coaches and many others associated with the game makes his HC prospects that much more difficult in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I hope that he lands on his feet but I won't be surprised if he remains a stay at home dad a year from now still making breakfast for his kids before school.

ADVERTISEMENT