ADVERTISEMENT

Semi OT: Ace, Dylan (and I guess.....Flagg) wrecking 2024 NBA Draft conversations

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
2024 NBA Draft lottery was yesterday.
Incredibly, the Atlanta Hawks moved up from #13 to #1!

By all assessments, 2024 Draft is regarded as one of the worst of the last 25 years.
I've heard people say that Front Office feedback is "Imagine a normal draft but it starts at pick 7. Just take the top talents off the board immediately".

Another problem is that 2025 Draft is by all assessments going to be a great draft. Especially at the top.
Seems nobody wants to trade a 2025 1st round pick to move up because what if you are giving away Ace, Dylan (or Flagg).

If Hawks are looking to trade #1 overall because they want immediate help - nobody is likely to offer a 2025 1st round pick.

Let's revisit any 2025 NBA draft conversation in January.
This is not some new thing. It’s been known for a couple of years this years draft was going to be bad, just as next years draft will be possibly the best since 2018. The NBA has been scouting these kids since they were juniors at high school. At EYBL college coaches are very limited in the time they are allowed to watch in person, whereas NBA scouts have full access.

I'm very confused about the Jokic posts and their relevance.

Are you inferring the 2024 NBA Draft won't be bad?

I agree. Too many RU fans are taking way too much for granted. Winning 25+ games with a freshman dominated lineup is very hard. Being a top 5 pick is even harder. It doesn't take much to derail either.
This thread is not about Rutgers fans counting their chickens and assuming their star freshmen will be lottery picks next year. The OP was simply talking about NBA teams' **CURRENT** mindsets about the high potential quality of the 2025 draft and how it's impacting their thought processes in the 2024 draft, and, right now, Ace and Dylan are believed by NBA scouts to be high lottery picks in 2025.

I'm very confused about the Jokic posts and their relevance.

Are you inferring the 2024 NBA Draft won't be bad?
I'm inferring that you never know whether a draft is good or bad until the players actually play. Jokic was an afterthought the year he was drafted. So was Brunson.

Reactions: NickRU714
I'm inferring that you never know whether a draft is good or bad until the players actually play. Jokic was an afterthought the year he was drafted. So was Brunson.

True.
But NBA front offices need to make decisions on their future now and can only go on the information they have.

They aren't going to say "Let's trade our picks in 2025 for the 2024 #1 overall pick. Yes it's potentially a bad draft but maybe someone turns out like Jokic or Brunson. Ace, Dylan and Cooper are great prospects now but what if they bust in college or the NBA."

Those are exceptions that prove the rule. You can't make decisions based on extreme outliers.

Know who was drafted first before and after Jokic and Brunson? Exactly.

Reactions: rucoe89
Jokic also didn't play the year he was drafted, and was a draft-and-stash player who took an additional year of development overseas before the NBA.

Reactions: NickRU714
This thread is not about Rutgers fans counting their chickens and assuming their star freshmen will be lottery picks next year. The OP was simply talking about NBA teams' **CURRENT** mindsets about the high potential quality of the 2025 draft and how it's impacting their thought processes in the 2024 draft, and, right now, Ace and Dylan are believed by NBA scouts to be high lottery picks in 2025.
Amazing, isn't it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT