ADVERTISEMENT

SESSION 4- NCAA WRESTLING THREAD: 8pm ESPN, ESPN 3, Semi's :

That’s amazing. Good for him - that’s all heart
Caesar went from never qualifying for states... to winning it all his Sr year...thats pretty rare and something obviously clicked for him that Sr year....He was a raw talent heading into college but who knew his upside bc he didn't have the national credential...

It's good to see Gable Stevenson lose again.
I watched this match again... The ref awarded Gable a late escape point in the third period that ended up giving Cassar 1m of riding time..... between this and Hidley getting screwed in Nolf match I’m starting to think these ref favors..PSU

I watched this match again... The ref awarded Gable a late escape point in the third period that ended up giving Cassar 1m of riding time..... between this and Hidley getting screwed in Nolf match I’m starting to think these ref favors..PSU

Yeah, I noticed that. But didn’t mind since Stevenson has been a jerk all year. But PSu did seem to benefit from the calls all night.
Ref #22 seemed to be intimidated by both Sanderson and Brands ( same ref DQ’d out DeSantos opponent in less than 3 minutes in the first period.

Yeah, I noticed that. But didn’t mind since Stevenson has been a jerk all year. But PSu did seem to benefit from the calls all night.
Ref #22 seemed to be intimidated by both Sanderson and Brands ( same ref DQ’d out DeSantos opponent in less than 3 minutes in the first period.

I don’t remember which match it was now but it was late in the round and #22 was officiating it. With 10 or so seconds left they had to go to the monitor after a call and they reviewed something. When the match resumed a different ref was the head guy for last 10 seconds. Thought that was really strange.

Reactions: Abro1975
Just saw suriano match in rewind. Wrestled smart. 1st takedown was huge. Hit Turk on a mat return which he hasn't done in awhile. Took safe single with abt 30 seconds left to avoid stall call. He has to get back to Turks , tilts , bars like he used to he be untouchable.
Has to stay away from boots Vs fix

Reactions: MS-RU
Impressive New Jersey

All Americans By State
PA (16) - Spencer Lee, Iowa; Luke Pletcher, Ohio St.; Austin DeSanto, Iowa; Ethan Lizak, Minnesota; Kyle Shoop, Lock Haven; Jason Nolf, Penn St.; Kaleb Young, Iowa; Hayden Hidlay, NC State; Vincenzo Joseph, Penn St.; Josh Shields, Arizona St.; Chance Marsteller, Lock Haven; Mikey Labriola, Nebraska; Dakota Geer, Oklahoma State; Zack Zavatsky, Virginia Tech; Ryan Preisch, Lehigh; Jordan Wood, Lehigh

NJ (10) - Sebastian Rivera, Northwestern; Patrick Glory, Princeton; Nick Suriano, Rutgers; Joey McKenna, Ohio St.; Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers; Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech; David McFadden, Virginia Tech; Jordan Kutler, Lehigh; Myles Martin, Ohio St.; Anthony Cassar, Penn St.

IL (6) - Austin O'Connor, N. Carolina; Larry Early, Old Dominion; Isaiah White, Nebraska; Emery Parker, Illinois; Patrick Brucki, Princeton; Jacob Warner, Iowa

MI (6) - Rayvon Foley, Michigan St.; Alec Pantaleo, Michigan; Myles Amine, Michigan; Devin Skatzka, Minnesota; Max Dean, Cornell; Trent Hillger, Wisconsin

OH (6) - Dom Demas, Oklahoma; Matt Kolodzik, Princeton; Micah Jordan, Ohio St.; Alex Marinelli, Iowa; Kollin Moore, Ohio St; Matt Stencel, Central Michigan

NY (5) - Nick Piccininni, OK State; Vitali Arujau, Cornell; Yianni, Cornell; Ben Honis, Cornell; Youssif Hemida, Maryland

CA (4) - Christian Pagdilao, Arizona St.; Evan Wick, Wisconsin; Zahid Valencia, Arizona St.; Josh Hokit, Fresno St.

MO (4) - John Erneste, Missouri; Jaydin Eierman, Missouri; Brock Mauller, Missouri; Daniel Lewis, Missouri

IA (3) - Bryce Steiert, Northern Iowa; Drew Foster, Northern Iowa; Willie Miklus, Iowa St.

IN (3) - Stevan Micic, Michigan; Nick Lee, Penn St.; Chad Red, Nebraska

MN (3) - Mitch McKee, Minnesota; Mark Hall, Penn St.; Gable Steveson, Minnesota

CO (2) - Mitch Finesilver, Duke; Ryan Deakin, Northwestern

OK (2) - Daton Fix, OK State; Derek White, OK State

OR (2) - Ronnie Bresser, Oregon St.; Tyler Berger, Nebraska

TX (2) - Jack Mueller, Virginia; Bo Nickal, Penn St.

GA (1) - Chip Ness, N. Carolina

KS (1) - Preston Wiegel, OK State

AZ (1) -Roman Bravo-Young, Penn State

FL (1) - Pat Lugo, Iowa

MT (1) - Jarrett Degen, Iowa St.

Canada (1) - Amarveer Dhesi, Oregon St.

Finalists By State
NJ (5) - Nick Suriano, Rutgers; Joey McKenna, Ohio St.; Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers; Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech; Anthony Cassar, Penn St.

PA (3) - Spencer Lee, Iowa; Jason Nolf, Penn St.; Vincenzo Joseph, Penn St

OH (2) - Micah Jordan, Ohio St.; Kollin Moore, Ohio St

TX (2) - Jack Mueller, Virginia; Bo Nickal, Penn St.

OK (2) - Daton Fix, OK State; Derek White, OK State

CA (1) - Zahid Valencia, Arizona St.

IA (1) -Drew Foster, Northern Iowa

MI (1) - Max Dean, Cornell

MN - Mark Hall, Penn St.

NY (1) - Yianni, Cornell

OR (1) -Tyler Berger, Nebraska

A few observations before I start a new thread today.

1. I'm still in shock over Rivera and Martin losing the way they did. And in shock over Marinelli's free fall all tournament long. Just goes to show there will always be surprises.

2. The ESPN commentators for each mat have been mostly Excellent, IMO.

3. PSU seemed to have benefited greatly last night in the Nolf, Vincenzo and Hall matches.

4. Stall calls have seemed to slow down with each session. And as usual the way it is called varies greatly ref to ref. Being a very subjective call, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

5. I thought the quality of 'Streams' online via laptop or other device from ESPN was much better than we get from Flowrestling . Probably not a surprise as they have a much bigger budget to work with to get better equipment.

6. The post match interviews in the back Hallways have been terrific, however the matside interviews immediately after a match with a winded wrestler seems a little intrusive.

7. The interviews with Matt Millen and other non wrestling guests have been pretty interesting.

8. Cameras showing family reactions to their kid's matches also very interesting. Especially seeing Anthony Ashnaults mom's reactions, lol

9. In the interviews with Suriano and Ashnault the differences in their demeanors and comments are pretty stark. Viva la difference! And thanks to the interviewers and wrestlers for sharing their thoughts during stressful times.

10. The Tournament In general seems to be running like clockwork, and the fans in Pittsburgh seem to be having a Blast! Also great seeing Nick Gravina basking in the successes of Suriano and Ashnault.

NJ overall has the most finalists of any state , and #2 in the number of All Americans of any state ! Wow !

Rewatching the semis from last night, and, yes, I'm THRILLED that Foster is facing Dean tonight instead of Martin, but for Martin to lose to anyone is completely on him. When that guy is offensive, he destroys people, and last night he never shot, and guess what happened?

Rewatching the semis from last night, and, yes, I'm THRILLED that Foster is facing Dean tonight instead of Martin, but for Martin to lose to anyone is completely on him. When that guy is offensive, he destroys people, and last night he never shot, and guess what happened?

Dean winning hurt RU's chances of a top 10 finish pretty hard possibly. RU was never going to overtake Ohio St, but in a close race w Cornell. And it deprives the Big10 of one more finalist and probable champ. Heck of a match by Dean.

8. Cameras showing family reactions to their kid's matches also very interesting. Especially seeing Anthony Ashnaults mom's reactions, lol
I don't even mind if they continually show shots of Diakomihalis' mom, even long after his matches have ended.

How effing cool is this:

A few notes. First, I got chills watching this video. I was thinking it was AA's brother swooping in. When he turned and I saw Gravina with the look on his face, that was priceless. Two, someone pays the refs off for PSU and Iowa. Really? OVERTURNED Nolf getting taken down? And he got taken down again at the end of the match. Damn shame they gave that match to Nolf. Three, great to see Cassar, the Jersey guy beat the turd from Minny. Fourth, TWO RU GUYS IN THE FINALS!!!! Bring it home boys!!

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Great wins by bith guys, congrats!

Announcer said our only national champ was in fencing. Not true, Elliot Quow won the NCAA 200 meters back in the 80s

We’ve had track/field, fencing, crew, lax, and women’s hoops national champs.

Crew and lax?? What years were those?? Also womens hoops was not NCAA, the teams were split that year with most of the better teams in the NCAA vs AIAW or whatever it was

I’m well aware. I didn’t say “NCAA” for a reason lol! Hey, according to Pitt they’ve won like 8 national titles (and UCF 1 HAHAHAHA)!!

Crew (think women’s 4???) and lax (pre-NCAA) were a long time ago as well. Could be mistaken about crew.

Last edited:
A few observations before I start a new thread today.

1. I'm still in shock over Rivera and Martin losing the way they did. And in shock over Marinelli's free fall all tournament long. Just goes to show there will always be surprises.

2. The ESPN commentators for each mat have been mostly Excellent, IMO.

3. PSU seemed to have benefited greatly last night in the Nolf, Vincenzo and Hall matches.

4. Stall calls have seemed to slow down with each session. And as usual the way it is called varies greatly ref to ref. Being a very subjective call, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

5. I thought the quality of 'Streams' online via laptop or other device from ESPN was much better than we get from Flowrestling . Probably not a surprise as they have a much bigger budget to work with to get better equipment.i mute the sound when he sticks the mike in the wrestlers face.
its dam annoying. the kid can't breath, and you shove a mike in his face
wait a few minutes please, then interview them.

6. The post match interviews in the back Hallways have been terrific, however the matside interviews immediately after a match with a winded wrestler seems a little intrusive.

7. The interviews with Matt Millen and other non wrestling guests have been pretty interesting.

9. In the interviews with Suriano and Ashnault the differences in their demeanors and comments are pretty stark. Viva la difference! And thanks to the interviewers and wrestlers for sharing their thoughts during stressful times.

10. The Tournament In general seems to be running like clockwork, and the fans in Pittsburgh seem to be having a Blast! Also great seeing Nick Gravina basking in the successes of Suriano and Ashnault.

NJ overall has the most finalists of any state , and #2 in the number of All Americans of any state ! Wow !

I’m well aware. I didn’t say “NCAA” for a reason lol! Hey, according to Pitt they’ve won like 8 national titles (and UCF 1 HAHAHAHA)!!

Crew (think women’s 4???) and lax (pre-NCAA) were a long time ago as well. Could be mistaken about crew.

If you want to include non-NCAA national champions, you have David Whinfrey, the 191 pound AAU national champion in 1950, back when the AAU was arguably the premier tournament. Two years earlier, Cornell College, the defending NCAA and AAU champions skipped the NCAAs to defend their AAU title. If you think 197 to 285 is bad today, the NCAA weight classes went from 175 to unlimited then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT