ADVERTISEMENT

Shame Univ of NC

redshoes

Senior
Oct 5, 2006
I really hope the UNC gets the maximum punishment for academic cheating. This story regarding UNC allowing paper classes, bogus grades, etc. really angers me and gives me a very low opinion of the faculty members, AD staff and in particular the coaches who permitted this farce to thrive.
All persons involved were derelict of their professional obligation to assist, mentor and demand that the students work toward academic success. In stead the university adhered to a false system that told the students: no need to try academically, you really don't need a degree, and worst of all, some student were made to understand that a university degree was beyond their reach.

I know some will say. "well it was there and they didn't take advantage of the opportunity" . Think about it, when all the adults are steering them to the easy system, what teenager will question their judgments or advice,

I guess what made me so angry, is the fact that ninety-nine percent of the UNC athletics will not find success in a professional sport, and after four years this group will leave the University with nothing. They will be ill-equipped to function as a four-year university student.

Reactions: BeKnighted
It's pretty awful, and the women's basketball program is right in the middle of it. Hatchell, of course, says she had nothing to do with it. I wonder how many times she emphasized the importance of maintaining eligibility to the team's academic advisor, though.

I really hope the UNC gets the maximum punishment for academic cheating. This story regarding UNC allowing paper classes, bogus grades, etc. really angers me and gives me a very low opinion of the faculty members, AD staff and in particular the coaches who permitted this farce to thrive.
All persons involved were derelict of their professional obligation to assist, mentor and demand that the students work toward academic success. In stead the university adhered to a false system that told the students: no need to try academically, you really don't need a degree, and worst of all, some student were made to understand that a university degree was beyond their reach.

I know some will say. "well it was there and they didn't take advantage of the opportunity" . Think about it, when all the adults are steering them to the easy system, what teenager will question their judgments or advice,

I guess what made me so angry, is the fact that ninety-nine percent of the UNC athletics will not find success in a professional sport, and after four years this group will leave the University with nothing. They will be ill-equipped to function as a four-year university student.
Any links to this info?

When recruits make final decisions based on factors including academic integrity then maybe there is a chance that college athletics run by the NCAA can change its current negative image.

ADVERTISEMENT