ADVERTISEMENT

Should Rutgers set up a parking lot at the GSAC ?

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
I like putting the cart before the horse,so here goes--As many of us already knew and Geoff Brown mentioned, a ton of Rutgers Football fans are from Ocean and Monmouth counties, and to a lesser degree, Atlantic, and the number is growing. If Rutgers set up a parking lot at the Garden State Arts Center and had a bus system going to the stadium,would you use it if it was Free ? What if there was a fee involved--how much would you pay ? $15? $20$ $25? More? If you don't think there is a need for it quite yet,can you see Rutgers doing something like this when the stadium is expanded to the 65,000-70,000 range ? At some point, there just won't be enough parking near the stadium and at The RAC,plus the roads just won't be able to handle everyone driving into and out of the campus at the same time,not to mention complaints from the residents of Piscataway.

I like putting the cart before the horse,so here goes--As many of us already knew and Geoff Brown mentioned, a ton of Rutgers Football fans are from Ocean and Monmouth counties, and to a lesser degree, Atlantic, and the number is growing. If Rutgers set up a parking lot at the Garden State Arts Center and had a bus system going to the stadium,would you use it if it was Free ? What if there was a fee involved--how much would you pay ? $15? $20$ $25? More? If you don't think there is a need for it quite yet,can you see Rutgers doing something like this when the stadium is expanded to the 65,000-70,000 range ? At some point, there just won't be enough parking near the stadium and at The RAC,plus the roads just won't be able to handle everyone driving into and out of the campus at the same time,not to mention complaints from the residents of Piscataway.
Sure...bus up from exit 115 or.... why not exit 109 Holmdel / Brookdale CC ...You do realize how far that is and the cost of fuel, manpower and additional insurance involved ?...How about miles from point A to B ...let's say 20 miles as the crow flies...I'm sure Rutgers in 10 years will need to make plans for parking but a bit closer than the PNC Bank Center.

Interesting concept. So right now, if a group of 50 people are coming to the game in a bus, is their bus allowed to mix in with the RU buses going and drop off/pick up at the stadium?

Why set it up that far away? How about at the parking lot of the tall building on Hoes Lane (forget what company). Huge lot empty on Saturdays. Already used as a meeting spot by some.

Lou,
Some people who live in Atlantic and even deep southern Ocean counties would have less driving to do ( not sure if we get people coming up from Cape May County). As you probably know, Rutgers fans have a million excuses for not going to games. If the drive is cut in roughly half for some, the "long" drive is one less that they can use. LOL--I run into people all the time who think driving to Piscataway is like hiking the Appalachian Trail !

Lou,
Some people who live in Atlantic and even deep southern Ocean counties would have less driving to do ( not sure if we get people coming up from Cape May County). As you probably know, Rutgers fans have a million excuses for not going to games. If the drive is cut in roughly half for some, the "long" drive is one less that they can use. LOL--I run into people all the time who think driving to Piscataway is like hiking the Appalachian Trail !
Why not spend some serious bond $$$$ and expand the rail system off the Jersey Shore line ( already through Ocean / Monmouth / Middlesex counties ...drop the fans off at a connection in either Woodbridge / Rahway ...the spur could easily connect to downtown New Brunswick just across from the park...not crazy to put this into the 2030 plan ...it would help south jersey fans... Our future President Chris ( Mr. Personality )Christie would be all over this ...If it's one thing his regime knows it's moving people on bridges and rail lines.

Rutgers does a terrible job busing people a mile away to and from the RAC. Can't think they would be better adding a lot of new components

Interesting concept. So right now, if a group of 50 people are coming to the game in a bus, is their bus allowed to mix in with the RU buses going and drop off/pick up at the stadium?

That is also an interesting thought. I have only ever seen Rutgers buses in the queues for the RAC lot/Green Lot dropoff and the Johnson Park dropoff. I think I have seen "foreign" buses at the visitors center that took over half the yellow lot.

There is a huge Corporate Lot on River Road that is always empty on Saturdays,
I think it's Colgate. Only 2 miles from High Point and not sure why a Shuttle Lot is not set up there.
I am sure $omething can be worked out between both companies.

There is a huge Corporate Lot on River Road that is always empty on Saturdays,
I think it's Colgate. Only 2 miles from High Point and not sure why a Shuttle Lot is not set up there.
I am sure $omething can be worked out between both companies.

I was thinking about the same thing. Don't know how a corporation would feel about it. The $ would probably not be a factor. It'd be more would they want to be associated with tailgating and responsible for people on their property?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT