ADVERTISEMENT

Simpson

Simpson's improved his game from last year in most areas.... except consistently seeing the ball go through the rim. Adjusted for possessions, he has more rebounds, more assists, more steals, a better assist/turnover ratio, fewer personal fouls, better defense, and better percentages from the arc and the line. It's just that his eFG% went from a poor .400 to an even worse .365 (for contrast, McConnell was a career .429 and wasn't known as a scorer).

I really feel the "magic bullet" (if there is one) is shot selection. If he stopped taking 15-22 foot shots entirely (unless he has the ball in his hands with under 5 on the shot clock) and worked those attempts into the paint/at the rim, both his FG% and PPG would go up (as well as his FTA). But he settles for a shot that he's comfortable taking... that he's not especially good at making.

It's really my one knock on him - every time he pulls up 6-7 feet inside the arc, I cringe. It's almost worse when he makes it, because he then has a green light to brick the next 2-3 from that range. Next year with more scorers on the team, I'm hoping he'll take fewer overall shots and from closer to the rim.

Mag has definitely not been the same player this year after returning from surgery. He's had a few very poor games mixed in with some very strong ones. I think he's largely escaped criticism this season because he missed the first 8 games, came up limping vs. Nebraska before scoring just 2 points over the next 3 games, and is again out with injury.... and because we're paper thin at the 4.

We really need both to come back next year, though, to carry through Pikiell's culture/philosophy for the large incoming class, especially the defensive grittiness. They'd be the only two rotational guys who have worn a Rutgers uniform for two seasons, along with Woolf at the end of the bench.

Last edited:
Here is why most of the RU fans have become either illogical or irrational in discussing Simpson.....and Mawot Mag.

Why do I bring up Mag?? Because Mag based on last year's irrational and undocumented hype, is still being credited as essential.....but Simpson is supposed to be at Rider or something, but Mag is allegedly the key to the entire RU defense, winning etc.

The difference is, a logical fan looks forward to next year and can clearly see Simpson being able to contribute in a reduced role, while Dylan Harper and JWill start. I could even argue that RU "could" be proactive in recruiting another combo guard, so Simpson is competing with JaMicheal Davis as the 4th guard. But for argument sake, let's assume Simpson and Davis are your 3rd and 4th guards off the bench next year....

BUT if we are being "logical " and not programmed, we would see that Simpson is actually more effective than Mawot Mag in many categories.....WHAT?? That can't be true?? Or is it??

Here's Mags stats......and please don't use the injury excuse, it's not a valid reason to ignore all of these numbers

MAG

27 minutes per game
9.5 PPG
3.9 RPG
1.3 AST
1.5 Turnovers
39.3 FG%
26.1 3 PT% (12 of 46)
70.3 FT

SIMPSON

26 minutes per game
9.3 PPG
3.3 RPG
3.2 AST
1.6 Turnovers
32.5 FG
30.2 3 PT%
86.1 FT%

Why would I show a comparison of a starting guard, to a starting forward?? Because BOTH players are not playing at a level of efficiency OR level that is on par with MOST B1G or Power 5 starters.

So, I will ask this question for the Simpson bashers/critics/skeptics??

If I did a side by side comparison between Mag and Simpson, what does Mag do better??

He is not a better on the ball defender.....

He is not a playmaker on offense.

He is not anywhere close to a good perimeter player AND is not effective as a 3 PT shooter.

He is a 70% FT shooter, where Simpson is likely, even with a slump, going to finish well above 80%.

I have a half a rebound difference between Mag and Simpson....which in theory, highlights Mag not being effective on the glass in 27 Minutes a game. As a forward, who fans have been programmed to believe is essential, he trails or matches Simpson in literally every category.

So, if I am advocating for Simpson to be better suited as a 3rd or 4th guard and Simpson is a sophomore, why are RU fans still "programmed", into believing Mag is essential.....?? There's NO evidence anywhere when watching the games OR based on the numbers to support him continuing to start.....OR that he's irreplaceable now or next year.

If Simpson is "replaceable" for some fans, why is Mag "irreplaceable ".

I could actually point to the improvements on Simpson from frosh to sophomore season from 3, his improved defense and fewer Turnovers per game. Simpson has not been taking good shots, which is the JWill effect. He is more effective now with JWill, which is something to consider when evaluating the player, production.

On the other hand, Mag gets a free pass and this label of "essential ".

If Simpson is "so terrible ", why the free pass for Mag???

I'll wait to see these responses, going to get some popcorn ....

Here’s a response for you Hawk:

1) You were probably the biggest culprit when it came to over hyping Simpson’s ability and contributions to the team this year.

2) Mag has nothing to do with Simpson. You love bringing him into discussions that have zero to do with him.

Here’s a response for you Hawk:

1) You were probably the biggest culprit when it came to over hyping Simpson’s ability and contributions to the team this year.

2) Mag has nothing to do with Simpson. You love bringing him into discussions that have zero to do with him.
Mag is shooting a career worst 39% from the field which is still 7% higher than Simpson

Hawk said Mag wouldn't even contribute this season, would play a limited role maximum, and should redshirt. Wrong wrong wrong. Now he's saying the injury doesn't matter. Complete 180 to try to support his narrative

So we should expect a perfectly healthy Simpson to be better next season but not Mag a year removed from a major inury?

Experience matters, defense matters, knowing Pike's system matters, glue players matter. Mag is a great fit next season to go along with all the freshman

Grant and dortch will not be better than Mag next season. Banking on a portal transfer is risky. Sure we could upgrade but do we have the money for a stud? Will we end up with a Noah instead? It's not a guarantee a freshman or transfer option will work out. That's a risk

I remember how hyped Simpson was on this board by many posters and how I got bashed for saying pump the brakes on a kid that never played a minute of Big 10 basketball. He is a classic case of the board thinking Pike can develop any 3 star, under recruited kid, into a star. Lets face it, Pike got lucky with a couple of players and that up to this point recruiting has been questionable. Next years class is great, but they are 1 and done, and so 2025 isnt going well.

I remember how hyped Simpson was on this board by many posters and how I got bashed for saying pump the brakes on a kid that never played a minute of Big 10 basketball. He is a classic case of the board thinking Pike can develop any 3 star, under recruited kid, into a star. Lets face it, Pike got lucky with a couple of players and that up to this point recruiting has been questionable. Next years class is great, but they are 1 and done, and so 2025 isnt going well.
Yup.

Simpson was also a very moldable player and to see no offensive development is troubling.

Mag is shooting a career worst 39% from the field which is still 7% higher than Simpson

Hawk said Mag wouldn't even contribute this season, would play a limited role maximum, and should redshirt. Wrong wrong wrong. Now he's saying the injury doesn't matter. Complete 180 to try to support his narrative

So we should expect a perfectly healthy Simpson to be better next season but not Mag a year removed from a major inury?

Experience matters, defense matters, knowing Pike's system matters, glue players matter. Mag is a great fit next season to go along with all the freshman

Grant and dortch will not be better than Mag next season. Banking on a portal transfer is risky. Sure we could upgrade but do we have the money for a stud? Will we end up with a Noah instead? It's not a guarantee a freshman or transfer option will work out. That's a risk
Had to stop reading at “Pike’s system”. There is no system. It’s all isolation, beat your defender. Hyatt, GG and Oskar are relegated to standing in the corner watching the shitshow unfold each time down the court.

Last edited:
Simpson had good hands today made some good swats and steals, and then ran the offense comfortably with no turnovers .. didnt deserve to be benched, lots of more low wffort players today

Had to stop reading at “Pike’s system”. There is no system. It’s all isolation, beat your defender. Hyatt, GG and Oskar are relegated to standing in the corner watching the shitshow unfold each time done the court.
So the thing is, this approach can work if you have the players. John Calipari always gets criticized for just rolling the ball out and letting his players do whatever, but that works most of the time because he has the players. This year they're the #8 offense.

The biggest issue is talent. Derek Simpson is our lead guard. He's not capable of making plays as a freelancer but there are no magic plays that make guys make shots. Maybe if we spent time installing a playbook as intense as Purdue's we'd have the #250 offense instead of #288. Big whoop.

Right now it reminds me of Chris Ash running the same stuff he did at Ohio State, but without Ohio State caliber players.

So the thing is, this approach can work if you have the players. John Calipari always gets criticized for just rolling the ball out and letting his players do whatever, but that works most of the time because he has the players. This year they're the #8 offense.

The biggest issue is talent. Derek Simpson is our lead guard. He's not capable of making plays as a freelancer but there are no magic plays that make guys make shots. Maybe if we spent time installing a playbook as intense as Purdue's we'd have the #250 offense instead of #288. Big whoop.

Right now it reminds me of Chris Ash running the same stuff he did at Ohio State, but without Ohio State caliber players.
Agree with the Calipari comparison and I have often noted before that yes Pike does just roll out the ball and hope the team’s athleticism is enough. Sometimes it is enough. I do think it’s a recruiting problem more than a coaching shortcoming. He’s not recruiting good basketball players. He’s recruiting good athletes (eg Mag, Simpson, Davis, Wolf, Cliff) who just are weak offensive players. They can’t shoot, they can’t pass, they can’t play team offense.

Reactions: kcg88
When the Rutgers roster is full of poor shooters, recruiting obviously is the problem.Fans will see a marked improvement next season but could quickly disappear with the departure of Bailey and Harper.

Reactions: biazza38
Yup.

Simpson was also a very moldable player and to see no offensive development is troubling.
You can’t develop shooting. By college, either you can or you can’t. Simpson can’t. Only Noah is a decent shooter. The rest of our guards are iso guys.

Agree with the Calipari comparison and I have often noted before that yes Pike does just roll out the ball and hope the team’s athleticism is enough. Sometimes it is enough. I do think it’s a recruiting problem more than a coaching shortcoming. He’s not recruiting good basketball players. He’s recruiting good athletes (eg Mag, Simpson, Davis, Wolf, Cliff) who just are weak offensive players. They can’t shoot, they can’t pass, they can’t play team offense.
It’s actually both a recruiting problem and a coaching problem. If you continue to recruit under-the-radar players (before this years incoming class), then you can’t roll the ball out and you need a system. The past few years, he was fortunate to have some players who were under-recruited and exceeded expectations (Geo, Myles, Ron Harper, Caleb, and even Eugene, and Mag). However, If you capitalize on next year’s two studs and up the recruiting big time, then perhaps you can roll the ball out like Calipari. The problem is he only has two of these players next season right now and Calipari always has at least 6 or 7 of them. Between Ron Harper and Dylan Harper, there have been a lot more recruiting/portal misses than hits.

I don’t get the “Simpson shouldn’t take 10-12 ft shots” crowd. They’re good open shots. He’s simply not making them which is the problem and will not help him get better shots going to the basket. He’s a streak shooter and doesn’t have consistent form. At this level of college ball you should be able to hit 40% of open mid range shots.

Simpson hits half of those shots and this board thinks differently of him. I think the bigger issue is we have smaller guards that instead of being facilitators first they are looking to be scorers first which affects the flow of an offense.

Also, put me in the camp of seeing if Gavin can consistently hit mid range shots first before chucking up threes.

Repeat after me: Open Midrange shots are not bad. They just have to be made.

GO RU

I don’t get the “Simpson shouldn’t take 10-12 ft shots” crowd. They’re good open shots. He’s simply not making them which is the problem and will not help him get better shots going to the basket. He’s a streak shooter and doesn’t have consistent form. At this level of college ball you should be able to hit 40% of open mid range shots.

Simpson hits half of those shots and this board thinks differently of him. I think the bigger issue is we have smaller guards that instead of being facilitators first they are looking to be scorers first which affects the flow of an offense.

Also, put me in the camp of seeing if Gavin can consistently hit mid range shots first before chucking up threes.

GO RU
Don't really have as much of an issue with 10 ft shots. It's the 15+ foot shots he should cut way back on.

GO RU
Open mid range shots aren't bad, but they are inefficient. Ru happens to take them more than 88% of the NCAA. Not making them only compounds the issue, and RU is in the bottom 16% in mid range make %. So we take an inefficient shot a lot and don't make it. RU is actually very good at getting shots in paint, and terrible at converting there too. Just a bad shooting team.

Open mid range shots aren't bad, but they are inefficient. Ru happens to take them more than 88% of the NCAA. Not making them only compounds the issue, and RU is in the bottom 16% in mid range make %. So we take an inefficient shot a lot and don't make it. RU is actually very good at getting shots in paint, and terrible at converting there too. Just a bad shooting team.
Midrange shots are only inefficient if they’re not made. Our shooters are terrible.

5-10 made midrange shots is better than 3-8 three point shots even if 2pt shots are less efficient. RU has too many empty possessions. Easier shots and less makes.

It’s not the shot. It’s the shooters.

GO RU

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Midrange shots are only inefficient if they’re not made. Our shooters are terrible.

5-10 made midrange shots is better than 3-8 three point shots even if 2pt shots are less efficient. RU has too many empty possessions. Easier shots and less makes.

GO RU

That's... not really true.

First off, the vast majority of players do not hit 5 of 10 from midrange. If you're a .375 shooter from the arc (3-8) then you are likely only a .390 to .410 shooter from that 15-22 foot range (not 50%). If you're close to a 50% shooter from that range, then you're also likely better than 40% from the arc.

Shots from 15-22 ft are just not good shots most of the time - unless it's the only thing available later in the clock. You're only improving your FG% by a small amount, while dropping the value of a made basket by 33%.

If we had better shooters, we'd want them shooting from the arc, not 0-7 feet inside the arc.

If you can get inside 15 ft (essentially in the paint, if the paint were an arc and not a box), you're both improving your FG% and giving more opportunity to collect fouls and trips to the line.

GO RU
Illogical. They are not good shots for Simpson since he doesn’t make them. Are open 3 pointers good shots for Cliff, or god-forbid Ogbole and Wolf?

Then you contradict yourself by saying the guards look to score rather than facilitate, which I agree with. That’s the point about Simpson most but also JWill and JMike. You say he should take those shots and then blame non-functioning team offense on guards who look to shoot first.

Simpson is a poor shooter, end of story. Most of the shots he takes are bad shots because that’s not his talent. He’s a slasher and should either finish at the basket or draw help defense and dish. His jump shots are essentially turnovers.

Illogical. They are not good shots for Simpson since he doesn’t make them. Are open 3 pointers good shots for Cliff, or god-forbid Ogbole and Wolf?

Then you contradict yourself by saying the guards look to score rather than facilitate, which I agree with. That’s the point about Simpson most but also JWill and JMike. You say he should take those shots and then blame non-functioning team offense on guards who look to shoot first.

Simpson is a poor shooter, end of story. Most of the shots he takes are bad shots because that’s not his talent. He’s a slasher and should either finish at the basket or draw help defense and dish. His jump shots are essentially turnovers.
Just say Simpson is not a basketball player then but a lacrosse player. How the hell are you going to play this game at this level and not be expected to take an open shot from mid range? 15 ft and in and you have a good look take the freakin’ shot.

He obviously plays because he has qualities to play otherwise he would be stuck on the bench. So if you play and there’s an open mid range: take it.

One thing I agree with if you’re close to the 3 pt line the back up and take three and not the long two.

GO RU

Reactions: zebnatto

GO RU
You'd rather take 10 shots to score 10 than score 9 on 8 shots? In that scenario, you probably have two more possession to come on the eight 3 attempts. Simpsons 36% shooting from midrange puts him in the 55th percentile nationally, pretty much average for what you get from there. The fact that 37% of his shots come from the midrange put him in the 97th percentile of attempts from there. Taking them is fine, he's average at it. He takes too many. Did you know that 36% he shoots from the mid range is the same percent he has shot from 3 as a starter this year? I'd rather he shot 36% from three than 36% from the mid range.

That's... not really true.

First off, the vast majority of players do not hit 5 of 10 from midrange. If you're a .375 shooter from the arc (3-8) then you are likely only a .390 to .410 shooter from that 15-22 foot range (not 50%). If you're close to a 50% shooter from that range, then you're also likely better than 40% from the arc.

Shots from 15-22 ft are just not good shots most of the time - unless it's the only thing available later in the clock. You're only improving your FG% by a small amount, while dropping the value of a made basket by 33%.

If we had better shooters, we'd want them shooting from the arc, not 0-7 feet inside the arc.

If you can get inside 15 ft (essentially in the paint, if the paint were an arc and not a box), you're both improving your FG% and giving more opportunity to collect fouls and trips to the line.
Our problem is our shooting in the paint and our shooting from the midrange is similar. It really is amazing, the only thing we do at a high level is take bad shots!

First, mid-range jumpers are rarely open. For anyone. There are other defenders close enough to contest from that short distance:

Simpson either takes step back fall away jumpers, or drives to the foul line and elevates. These are difficult for a moving shooter and because they are contested. They are not good shots or open shots.

his actual open longer range shots are fine but rare. So yes he is a basketball player who takes shots he shouldn’t

Simpson contributes on various levels. However, on a good B10 he is a backup guard, maybe third guard off the bench type talent.

Don't really have as much of an issue with 10 ft shots. It's the 15+ foot shots he should cut way back on.
With the advent of the 3 pointer no kid is taking 10-12 footers when they are shooting around.....and i couldn't blame them.

With that being said i am not so sure about your statement these days.

Love to see some evidence in college or NBA with make percentage at that range.

Just say Simpson is not a basketball player then but a lacrosse player. How the hell are you going to play this game at this level and not be expected to take an open shot from mid range? 15 ft and in and you have a good look take the freakin’ shot.

He obviously plays because he has qualities to play otherwise he would be stuck on the bench. So if you play and there’s an open mid range: take it.

One thing I agree with if you’re close to the 3 pt line the back up and take three and not the long two.

GO RU
100%. To claim that those are not open shots DS is taking from foul line range (he's still moving his feet, he has to elevate too much, no one is actually covering him but other defenders are close by) is just untrue. The kid is open. What you say is on the money, AND would be true in a decent pickup or intramural game. Let's be real: "How the hell are you going to play this game at this level and not be expected to take an open shot from mid range? 15 ft and in and you have a good look take the freakin’ shot." True, true, and true.

Reactions: goru7 and satnom

GO RU

First off, it's not the "15 ft and in" shots - it's the shots from the FT line extended and top of the key, which are more like 18 ft shots. In our last game we had 5 shots in that 18ish foot range and went 0-5.

If the shot clock is still over 15 seconds, you should be working to get a better shot than an 18-ft jumper. When we're sharing/moving the ball, we see more open shots on the perimeter or close to the rim than when someone's trying to go iso with short penetration and pull up from the long-two range.

Pike allows these shots. That is a MAJOR problem.

Simpson is doing a lot of very good things on the floor. If he received better offensive coaching, we would be singing his praises.

If I took the shots, they'd be bad because I would miss most if not all of them. Simpson missing most if not all of them doesn't change that they are bad shots because neither he nor I can make them. By the 'D1 kids get green light' logic presented, Cliff should take them too ? Of course not. Simpson doesn't play within his abilities.

As said, he does some things well but shooting ain't one of them. Yes, Pike allows it more out of being a player's coach, rolling out the ball and wishing the players luck. We're seeing that selfish solo basketball fails miserably against good offensive teams because we can't match, even with good defense.

This approach is most certainly what got him Ace and Dylan next year. They are coming to shoot and showcase without much interference.

Reactions: coldsprings
Zeb…do you reject the end game strategy with a lead to have your better foul shooters handle the ball so when the other team fouls intentionally they get to the foul line instead of weaker foul shooters ? All the players are D1. Why keep the ball away from the weaker foul shooters ? They’re D1, let them all shoot end-game FTs !!

Or how about drawing up a last second play for Cliff to take the game winning 3 pt shot if we’re down 2 ?

Silly ideas right ? Well it’s no different with DSelfish. Players who can’t make particular shots shouldn’t take them. First half, second half, end game, whenever.

Derek heading overseas to Europe this summer on a basketball tour run by Fred Hill Jr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT