ADVERTISEMENT

Sina

MCKnight2004

Senior
Oct 25, 2012
Per Rothstein, considering BC Stanford and Michigan...we were never a factor. My money is on Michigan, just so he can continue to drain 3s vs us

Doubt he goes to Stanford. Either Michigan or BC IMHO. I think if he feels comfortable and will play at Michigan - he'll go there - otherwise it'll be BC which is closer for his parents to watch him.

I hope he goes to Michigan.

Originally posted by MCKnight2004:
Per Rothstein, considering BC Stanford and Michigan...we were never a factor. My money is on Michigan, just so he can continue to drain 3s vs us
Is he a good 3 point shooter.... I'll have to check his shooting %

bac.....he's not a starter at any high major program.....he's a complimentary shooter that can only contribute if you have other elite players around him OR are in a system that Michigan runs, where kids like Spike Albrecht can thrive.

I'm not sure where the disconnect is with thinking Sina somehow starts and contributes at RU, when he played well over 30 plus minutes a night at Seton Hall and was essentially overmatched in a so-so league....and before someone tells me the Big East is way better than just average, tell me what the results were in the NCAA's, where they failed miserably yet again....which is now two for two, since the old Big East disintegrated......it's not a good league by any stretch of anyone's imagination and you get away with comparing teams with limited athletes and limited size, playing each other for 20 games a year, mixed with an OOC slate where they rarely play anyone with size or athletes and you get teams into the NCAA's that are overmatched (St. Johns, Providence) or severely overrated (Villanova etc.)......

So when Sina goes to Michigan and gets into their weave and unique offense and he drops 5 threes in a game in the future, it's not relative to his talent or how 99% of the college basketball programs play....and if he's guarded properly in most of the Big Ten, he'll be hard pressed to contribute if he's not scoring (he cannot defensively guard anyone of note in the Big East, so how is he guarding the DAngelo Russell, Yogi Ferrell types......he wouldn't stay in front of Corey Sanders, if he makes it to RU and plays)....

Beilein is a unique coach and can get the most out of a limited kid like Albrecht and Sina by most accounts should be as good as Albrecht.....that doesn't mean he's a high major player anywhere else or a starter anywhere else and doesn't mean he wouldn't be Seton Halls 4th guard or off the bench there or a spot player at RU (in a normal circumstance, where RU actually recruits normal quality kids).

The kid needed to stick with Northwestern, where he would've played and gotten a stellar degree....at least of the three schools left, it appears that is the path they are looking at, no one will argue Stanford, Michigan aren't great academic places.....BC probably fits that role of at least a Catholic school type of degree, but offers the likely spot where he'd play the most minutes.

-

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
NJH nails it.

Does Battle have an offical home yet? If not, wonder if a team takes Sina hoping to get battle too.

Battle is a Kentucky or Duke lean. To me, RU continues to try and embrace "street ball", when we should be looking to differentiate ourselves from the long list of eastern schools playing athlete driven basketball. We need to go the route of modeling ourselves after a system driven - Midwestern style of play, which has Wichita St and Butler, not to mention ND and MSU winning consistently.

Penetrating, good passing point guard, big shooting wing and forwards, big physical center. Enough with trying to recruit pure athletes - we don't have the pedigree to pull that off in competition with the entire roster of Big East team in our back yard who do a better job of bringing in that type of talent. Sina works in that type of system.

Offensively we definitely don't play streetball. Mack got us in to half court sets on just about every possession that we didn't try to score in transition. My issue was the pace and detail that we ran them.

Hawk is right. Sina averaged 37 minutes a game at SHU. He only averaged something like 4.3 points per game and 2.3 assists (or something similar).

For the record, Sina averaged 7.0 points per game this season with 24 games and 169 points scored.

Originally posted by BigEastPhil:

Per Rothstein - Sina is visiting GW on 4/18.....
To me, that suggests BC, Stanford and Michigan have not actually offered, despite early reports that they had. GW is not chopped liver, but worlds apart from Stanford or Michigan.

Originally posted by RU-ROCS:
Originally posted by BigEastPhil:

Per Rothstein - Sina is visiting GW on 4/18.....
To me, that suggests BC, Stanford and Michigan have not actually offered, despite early reports that they had. GW is not chopped liver, but worlds apart from Stanford or Michigan.
Well put. GW is a solid program in a good market and all, but it is the THIRD college hoops team in that market and you can pretty much fly under the radar there if you struggle. If he does well, it will be a "good story" locally and everyone will love him. If he doesn't, not many will care and get on him.

Pretty good landing spot should he go there, and definitely worlds apart from Stanford or Michigan.

Originally posted by bac2therac:

if he is going to GW he still is landing at a better program than Rutgers
That type of talk qualifies as heresy, especially for a long time RU MBB season ticket holder.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Unless Rutgers rises because Jordan can turn the MBB program, from the dysfunctional mess Rice left , the wasted Freddie years and the not quite good enough Waters years makes it hard to imagine that Jordan can succeed, but shouldn't be considered an impossible task.
Along with the putrid facilities and lack of support from the administration makes some RU fans look at lesser programs with envy,instead of having a positive attitude that the RU MBB program can overcome the road blocks to success Eddie is facing
in his effort to build a good program.

GW can be considered a better program to some who look for doom & gloom instead of looking for the light at the end of tunnel.
Eddie might wind up bringing Rutgers MBB out of the darkness into that light. That's what I'm counting on and been looking for that to happen under many many years. I'll never give up hope , but can understand those who stopped looking for the good parts of RU MBB and believe the darkness will prevail every time something starts looking positive for RU MBB.

I'm sure the persistent naysayers will claim the light at the end of tunnel is an Amtrack bearing down on the RU MBB Program
and they are prepared to predict the team too be run over again before next season.begins and before every game in it.
I predict RU will show hope for the future by the way it plays next season and it will be the beginning of RU's sucess, not the continuation of RU fan's despair

There is no objective data that Rutgers will show any meaningful progress next season especially with the loss of the two leading scorers.Wishful thinking doesn't work in a power conference but talent and player development are the two things that do matter.

Reactions: Syosset
Originally posted by RU-JMM78:

There is no objective data that Rutgers will show any meaningful progress next season especially with the loss of the two leading scorers.Wishful thinking doesn't work in a power conference but talent and player development are the two things that do matter.
But when the top talent has flaws and the team lacked a true ball-handler, there is hope for improvement because the top players that left shouldn't be considered irreplaceable and the experience gained by freshman .
A true PS is supposed to be on roster for next season, something that was lacking last season and could help RU's O play a little better than when it lacked someone that was more than a combo guard running RU's offense
Plus that PG coming in , is supposed to be a scoring threat..
A freshman PF has a year's experience and can work , in the off season, on what was lacking during his freshman year
so his sophomore shows improvement.
The freshman center gained college experience and his game should benefit from that.
Freshman guard learned as he played so improvement from that year should show as a soph.
Junior Center's game improved a lot from Soph year and as a senior might jump up into the vast improvement catogary
JUCO combination guard had his moments his first year at RU. He might just play more consistent as a Senior
and help RU win more games
Then you have the redshirts getting into action after a little of the court seasoning :
Diallo, Ryan Johnson and Goode might make RU's depth better with them on the bench or starting.
I look at next season's line-up as possible stronger than it was last year because:
Myles, despite the effort he gave every game, was a liability on defense and not a true ball handler that the O needed to
be successful against most of RU's opponents D . But he will be missed.
Jack was to inconsistent and wasn't a factor in a lot of last years games, his talent will be missed, but his overall play last year won't.
Etou played far below his talent level and there's nothing that can prove it wouldn't be different next season.
Moving on to another program might be the best thing for him and Rutgers.

In the end all programs have to replace their best and when your program is/was as bad as Rutgers, you don't sweat who left
because if they were that great, RU would have been Dancing ( or NIT-ing)

RU will be deeper next season and that gives reason for hope.
party0011.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/10 4:37 PM by MADHAT1

I guess we will see him in Wash DC on 12/12. I believe Seton Hall will see GW also in Wash DC. This should be interesting.

I forgot about that. I guess I was thinking he got immediate eligibility because of the problems he had in the locker room.

I wonder how many years we had on our contract to play GW? This coming December will make 4 seasons in a row that we will have played GW.

So much for all the big named schools rumored to be after him.
But should GW might be be a good fit for him.

Reactions: rcube1994
So much for all the big named schools rumored to be after him.
But should GW might be be a good fit for him.

Agreed. I was always skeptical about the alleged demand for Sina at top-tier programs. GW is a good place, but a far cry from Stanford and Michigan both academically and athletically. It's hard to believe a kid with half a brain and with no prospects of playing in the NBA would turn down Stanford or Michigan for GW. So that tells me, unsurprisingly, those schools never offered.

He landed at a level closer to where he belongs, although I still think it's a stretch for him there. His success will all depend on his coach and supporting cast. It it doesn't work out, I'm sure he'll transfer again.

He landed at a level closer to where he belongs, although I still think it's a stretch for him there. His success will all depend on his coach and supporting cast. It it doesn't work out, I'm sure he'll transfer again.
Agree....never got the hype around him coming out of high school. He is where he belongs now - I think he'll fit in fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT