ADVERTISEMENT

Slice to SJU

Very impressive. I thought this guy was thought to be earning close to $1MM as an assistant at KU. Turns out his base was 375K. No question SJU is committed to getting this going in the right direction under Mullin.

yep this is how you do it when you don't have a any college experience running a program. They have two ace recruiters now.

Originally posted by bac2therac:

yep this is how you do it when you don't have a any college experience running a program. They have two ace recruiters now.
No...this is how you do it when you HAVE college experience too..you strive to hire the best...hopefully those that have experience recruiting in your main location area.

While Rohrssen wasn't successful as HC of Manhattan...he did a very good job as a top recruiter during his 2 stints at Pitt...while he was obviously over-shadowed at his only year at UK, as Calipari is the recruiting star...as the main task at UK is telling kids "No".

Also, with Rohrssen moving to STJ, this also allows former failed Auburn HC, Tony Barbee, who was a long-time asst to Calipari at UMASS and Memphis...to be an Asst Coach again under Cal.

This post was edited on 4/13 8:06 AM by Knight_Light

Originally posted by DownStream:
You don't have to recruit at Kentucky - the recruits come to you.
If that were true why did Cal hire Rohrssen away from Pitt to begin with and give him a ridiculous amount of money?

Why did Calipari hire Josh Pastner (one of the best recruiters in the country) away from Arizona in his last year at Memphis. He would have brought him to Kentucky but of course Pastner got the Memphis job to replace Calipari.

Why did he hire Kenny Payne from Oregon when Dana Altman the new hire in 2010 tried desperately to retain him after Ernie Kent was fired?

If your statement was correct Cal should save the boosters at Kentucky a lot of money and hire 3 janitors. Get the same results and save a lot of money.

Originally posted by michstfr:

If that were true why did Cal hire Rohrssen away from Pitt to begin with and give him a ridiculous amount of money?

Why did Calipari hire Josh Pastner (one of the best recruiters in the country) away from Arizona in his last year at Memphis. He would have brought him to Kentucky but of course Pastner got the Memphis job to replace Calipari.

Why did he hire Kenny Payne from Oregon when Dana Altman the new hire in 2010 tried desperately to retain him after Ernie Kent was fired?

If your statement was correct Cal should save the boosters at Kentucky a lot of money and hire 3 janitors. Get the same results and save a lot of money.
A) Its not ridiculous $$$ at UK

B) Because USF had to reject their newly hired HC (Masiello) because he did not have a 4 year degree (requirement at USF for any HC job in any sport), USF ended up hiring then UK Asst Antigua late....so Cal had to hire "someone" late in the game...and he hired Rohrssen last May to replace Antigua

C) At UK, yes, Cal could probably hire 3 janitors and end up with the same recruiting classes that HE now gets...but UK offers him budget $$$ to hire asst coaches so paperwork (and coaching in practice) can be done.

Cal at Memphis had to recruit hard...as being a team in CUSA, especially after the Catholics and Louisville left in 2005, it was never easy to get top classes at Memphis...hence why Cal bent almost every rule, every loophole, including a scammed prep school in NC to got some top recruits eligible, that later was found to be a fraud and shutdown...let alone having Rose retake the SAT some 600 miles away from his home and out of state so he could end up with a passing grade, which of course was one of the main scams/violations that cost Memphis their Final Four run and put them on probation.

Uh wrong he could have hired Tony Barbee who he is familar with. Secondly $375K is WAAYYY above what schools pay assistants.

Secondly everyone knows he tried to hire Rohrssen away from Manhattan in 2008 while he was at Memphis and so did Lavin in 2010. Rohrssen said now.

This idea that he hired Rohrssen because he needed a "late replacement" for Antgiua is laughable. Right, he just couldn't find another coach so he just hired away one of the best recruiters in the country from Pitt for $375K a year.

You guys are something else.

How about Pastner from Arizona (on Lute Olson's staff)? How about Kenny Payne from Oregon?

Stiffs who don't do anything.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

A) Its not ridiculous $$$ at UK

B) Because USF had to reject their newly hired HC (Masiello) because he did not have a 4 year degree (requirement at USF for any HC job in any sport), USF ended up hiring then UK Asst Antigua late....so Cal had to hire "someone" late in the game...and he hired Rohrssen last May to replace Antigua

C) At UK, yes, Cal could probably hire 3 janitors and end up with the same recruiting classes that HE now gets...but UK offers him budget $$$ to hire asst coaches so paperwork (and coaching in practice) can be done.

Cal at Memphis had to recruit hard...as being a team in CUSA, especially after the Catholics and Louisville left in 2005, it was never easy to get top classes at Memphis...hence why Cal bent almost every rule, every loophole, including a scammed prep school in NC to got some top recruits eligible, that later was found to be a fraud and shutdown...let alone having Rose retake the SAT some 600 miles away from his home and out of state so he could end up with a passing grade, which of course was one of the main scams/violations that cost Memphis their Final Four run and put them on probation.

Looks like Carino is taking a shot at Rutgers here:

Jerry Carino - þ@NJHoopsHaven
If you're going to hire a favorite son, St. John's shows how you do it: Give him every possible resource so he's in a position to succeed.

Uh wrong he could have hired Tony Barbee who he is familar with. Secondly $375K is WAAYYY above what schools pay assistants.
You do realize that UK is not like "most schools", as their Basketball program brings in tens of millions of $$$.

Heck, SMU pays their top asst coach more than DOUBLE that $375,000 figure.

Heck, 3 years ago, Kansas State, who doesn't come close to having the hoop revenue as UK, was paying their top asst $420,000 (with $80,000 in bonus eligibility).

I think its funny that you think UK doesn't have the $$$ to pay asst coaches.

Pretty clear shot at RU. If you recall, it took Eddie forever to hire his staff. And when he did it was pretty uninspiring how it shook out.

BTW-May have to eat my words on this one a little. Fell off my chair with what someone told me.

5 years at $450K for Barry. That is a HUGE number for an assistant.

BTW-May have to eat my words on this one a little. Fell off my chair with what someone told me.

5 years at $450K for Barry. That is a HUGE number for an assistant.
Geez, just curious, but what did he make as the HC at Manhattan? He may actually be doing better than that now.

The AD, Assistant AD, Associate AD, Jordan and the RAC janitors need to take a pay cut so that we can pay assistant coaches like Slice.

Two different records, two programs in completely different situations at the time when the hiring process took place.

All St.john's has is basketball, not surprised they are paying coaches. What else did they have ? soccer?
This post was edited on 4/13 4:06 PM by shields

So now you are saying it is an advantage to be just a basketball school as opposed to a major football school? Is that the excuse now..

Because I thought Rutgers had an advantage because they had the added football revenue and also that led to them being able to join a conference like the Big 10 unlike schools like SJU, Villanova and Georgetown.

But now the argument is evidently SJU is at an advantage to Rutgers because they ONLY have to worry about basketball...LOL!!!

Is this a serious post?

Someone should tell Alabama and Texas to give up their football programs so they will have more revenue for their other sports...(I am joking of course).

Originally posted by shields:

All St.john's has is basketball, not surprised they are paying coaches. What else did they have ? soccer?

So now you are saying it is an advantage to be just a basketball school as opposed to a major football school? Is that the excuse now..

Because I thought Rutgers had an advantage because they had the added football revenue and also that led to them being able to join a conference like the Big 10 unlike schools like SJU, Villanova and Georgetown.

But now the argument is evidently SJU is at an advantage to Rutgers because they ONLY have to worry about basketball...LOL!!!

Is this a serious post?

Someone should tell Alabama and Texas to give up their football programs so they will have more revenue for their other sports...(I am joking of course).

It's because football is King at most schools and most of the resources go there unless you are Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc. If St.Johns only has basketball they have to spend big bucks there to be relevant in college sports.

That makes even less sense then the earlier post. You are focusing on spending and NOT REVENUE.

Your post makes zero sense and it is completely contradictory to earlier posts about how RU was at an advantage now you are claiming SJU is at an advantage.

So now you are saying poor Rutgers can't compete with SJU...OK...I will remember this.

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:

Is this a serious post?

It's because football is King at most schools and most of the resources go there unless you are Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc. If St.Johns only has basketball they have to spend big bucks there to be relevant in college sports.

Good for St.John's. I wish we were as committed to any of our sports as they are to basketball.

I've always liked Mullin and hope he succeeds there. But it is a gamble. Being a great player doesn't make one a great coach, or even a competent coach necessarily. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Yikes! Michstr making an argument that makes sense and is sound. Never believed it could happen.

That makes even less sense then the earlier post. You are focusing on spending and NOT REVENUE.

Your post makes zero sense and it is completely contradictory to earlier posts about how RU was at an advantage now you are claiming SJU is at an advantage.

So now you are saying poor Rutgers can't compete with SJU...OK...I will remember this.

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:

Is this a serious post?

Welcome to the Rutgers message board where we justify why we can't or won't win anything and try explain away how other schools do it with nonsense.

Michstfr, do you even think St,John's spends a lot of money on their women's program? Stringer makes a lot of money and I am sure that affects the men's program.

Michstfr, do you even think St,John's spends a lot of money on their women's program? Stringer makes a lot of money and I am sure that affects the men's program.
Stringer's salary doesn't affect the MBB program, it has been down far longer than her extension in 2007 and its last NCAA appearance was before she was hired as the RU WBB HC.
Time to stop using CVS as an excuse for RU having a poor MBB program asnd be happy Vivian's WBB team isn't like that.
Want a scapegoat, look at all the HCs hired after Tom Young left for greener pastures at Old Dominion after the 1984-5 season ended.

If you really are going to argue that having women's program even with a football program in the Big 10 is what is holding you back in your men's BBall program then you know what? You really are in big trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT