ADVERTISEMENT

Slum lords prevail on Mine Street

Jonny S

Senior
Feb 4, 2004
Forget the idiotic tabloid NB Today spin. This is a defeat for smart growth and affordable housing, and a victory for NIMBYs and slum lords that want to gouge students and the working poor.

These apartment complexes that are being built for students are over 50% more expensive per bedroom than the bedrooms in regular houses. Not every landlord in that town is a slumlord. I know some darn good ones actually and no one is gouging anyone, people pay what the market in that area dictates. Furthermore, Mine St has a decent amount of local homeowners who didn't want the atheistic's of their street altered and lastly the parking around there is a nightmare already. I'm sure the developer can figure out a way to account for every parking spot by probably downsizing the size of the building, make the design look more like the other homes on the street and resubmit it...or just play the waiting game for several years.

Reactions: mal359
These apartment complexes that are being built for students are over 50% more expensive per bedroom than the bedrooms in regular houses. Not every landlord in that town is a slumlord. I know some darn good ones actually and no one is gouging anyone, people pay what the market in that area dictates. Furthermore, Mine St has a decent amount of local homeowners who didn't want the atheistic's of their street altered and lastly the parking around there is a nightmare already. I'm sure the developer can figure out a way to account for every parking spot by probably downsizing the size of the building, make the design look more like the other homes on the street and resubmit it...or just play the waiting game for several years.

They did make a rendering of a new downsized building and it does look better. At least it looks better to the point it is now similar to the apartment buildings on Union Street.

No, they won in their attempts to stop new development and keep Rutgers students over a barrel in what they charge for rent.

I have to clear this up. The people who fought this are HOMEOWNERS ON MINE STREET. As in, they live on the street. The developers who are buying these houses from the "slumlords" in other areas of Ward 6 had no fight because no "slumlords" lived there. When they build these new apartment complexes they are charging 50-100% more per month for rent for these newer apartment complexes than the houses are charging. So I am failing to see how the students are getting railroaded here.

Forget the idiotic tabloid NB Today spin. This is a defeat for smart growth and affordable housing, and a victory for NIMBYs and slum lords that want to gouge students and the working poor.

Why is it slumlords winning? The most outspoken people were owner occupiers not landlords. I'm amazed that people are so quick to back developers over actual residents.The presented a plan that was too big for the space. Residents objected. They downsized to a more reasonable development and got their approvals.

I actually would call this a victory for New Brunswick residents. That planning board has been a rubber stamp board. Seems like they actually listened to citizens over developers - that is a good thing.

Reactions: RUskoolie
How was this development "too big" for the space? Look up the whole concept of parking subsidies. New Brunswick actually has far too much parking which is a tax on all residents. We need much more denser development.

I have to clear this up. The people who fought this are HOMEOWNERS ON MINE STREET. As in, they live on the street. The developers who are buying these houses from the "slumlords" in other areas of Ward 6 had no fight because no "slumlords" lived there. When they build these new apartment complexes they are charging 50-100% more per month for rent for these newer apartment complexes than the houses are charging. So I am failing to see how the students are getting railroaded here.

Almost no one actually lives there, they're all renting those houses out to students and afraid of more competition. The neighborhood is a complete dump, it's not "historic" in any sense.

Scarlet Pride has it correct. Still not sure what Jonny is complaining about. No "slumlords" complained, residents did. No "slumlords" are worried or afraid of competition. The new apt bldgs actually make their houses more desirable, because the rent is significantly cheaper. Mine Street is almost completely NON owner occupied, except for Jennifer Oneill's well kept home to the right of this lot and Professor Drinkwater's house to the right of hers. Should one or two homeowners be able to dictate how the entire street or neighborhood is developed? They are now in a significant minority....a vocal one with lawyers in this case. The best thing that can happen for Rutgers AND New Brunswick is for more of this type of development. Ask the question-if it was your daughter, would you prefer she is in the new, safe, sprinklered, well lit, central AC apt bldg, or the 85 year old house that was built for 1 or 2 families, not 6/10 college kids. The developers provide plenty of parking. The New Brunswick parking regulations are antiquated. Every new project requires variances. You simply can't build to today's codes and set backs etc and make $$$. Smart compromises are needed to ensure the proper development can occur for the benefit of all involved.

Students get nice new safe apartments with single bedrooms. Parents are happy their kids are in new buildings. New Brunswick is happy as large house parties are reduced, updated safe well-lit housing constructed, private garbage collection takes place, more tax revenue is generated. RU is happy because it renews neighborhoods around campus, is more attractive, provides safe housing for students. WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN Someone please explain where anything negative occurs.

It's America, what's wrong with having a rental property and being able to charge whatever the market will bear? Have you seen the condition that most college kids keep their rental house in?? The blame is not all on the landlords. I lived in a triple, in a frat house, and I've been disgusted in the way some off campus houses are kept by the residents. If developers build crap, with no parking, for too high of rent....then no one lives there. That's their risk and reward.

You're largely agreeing with me. The slumlords are the absentee landlords who want to rent out single family homes to students and are terrified of apartment complexes going up. They're the opposition.

You're largely agreeing with me. The slumlords are the absentee landlords who want to rent out single family homes to students and are terrified of apartment complexes going up. They're the opposition.

Where you at the town council meeting, regarding this project? I was. No slumlords were complaining. No slumlords are terrified. I'm not sure where you dreamed this up. I am a landlord in New Brunswick and I spoke in favor of the building. I think more buildings like them should be built. The only opposition is from the immediate neighbors. Frankly, I don't blame them as I wouldn't want a giant apt building built just a few feet from my family's house either. The real problem is having a family in a 90% non owner occupied street within a college environment. It's their right to live there , however, the bigger picture should be one family shouldn't be able to dictate what the neighborhood should be. The good far outweighs any negatives. We want to manage to the exception in America today. It's like the new neighbors that moved next to the ball field complaining about the ball hitting the bats ( true story in my town). I believe that a compromise was reached and a smaller scale building was approved to the benefit of everyone

I am curious to all on here that are landlords what you expect your return on investment to be in housing in this area? Do you think it will go up or down with the change on mine street?

A fraternity that used to be on Union Street whose old house was torn down and replaced by an apartment building is returning to Mine Street.

They are waiting to get approval to hang the Greek letters in front.

Wonder what the regular residents will think of that? LOL

Last edited:
The housing market in NB will always be fine in that area. Students need housing. Period.

There are already quite a few houses on Mine Street with Greek letters on them (and in the inside window for the ones that aren't approved)

That's great to hear about the Frat. I don't understand why RU is so anti-Frat/Sorority and I say that as someone who couldn't care less for Frats when I was in school.

ADVERTISEMENT