ADVERTISEMENT

So who's starting at the CB spots?

RCTrooper

All American
Apr 9, 2010
Outside of the QB competition, the biggest unknown is who our starting CBs will be.

Darien Daily was kicked off the team and Nadir Barnwell may be academically ineligible, though we won't know until summer classes are over. Rumors have it that he won't be on the team for the football season.

So who's going to start at CB? Dre Boggs seems to be the one starter by default. The other corner isn't as clear. Cioffi's been moved to safety and seems best suited as a nickelback, as is Stephenson. Blessan Austin could be a starter as a true freshman. Thoughts?

Outside of including Wharton and Peele, that is pretty much the situation.

Multiple guys will play.

Boggs will almost definitely start at one CB position. We've heard some good things about Austin and many of the preseason mags project him to start at the other CB position. He did have the year of prep school which i'm sure helped physically. Wharton and Peele will play a lot...especially against WSU in the 2nd game. I would not be surprised if they moved Cioffi around from S to CB ...back and forth.

My guess is Boggs and either Austin or Adams with Peele getting spot up duty. Barnwell's screw up may do some serious damage to this season. He wasn't an All-conference player, but he at least brought some stability to the position. Now we are in serious danger of 2013 all over again. I still have nightmares over that Houston game.

Reactions: red sail
Boggs and Austin with Wharton in the wings and Peele probably moving over.

I thought Clayton was a possibility for early playing time in nickle packages but he's a non qualifier.

Reactions: trentonrufan
^Clayton is a nonqualifier? Since when and does he have a chance to become eligible like Wilkins last year? If this is true, I'm starting to become very irritated with the amount of nonqualifiers/ineligible players we've had over the past 12-18 months.

Dunno that's what I heard from someone close to the program. I actually didn't realize it wasn't common knowledge. Ferpa and ll that. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I expect something of a committee. Is Barnwell officially out this season or is there a chance he could still qualify?

Outside of the QB competition, the biggest unknown is who our starting CBs will be.

Darien Daily was kicked off the team and Nadir Barnwell may be academically ineligible, though we won't know until summer classes are over. Rumors have it that he won't be on the team for the football season.

So who's going to start at CB? Dre Boggs seems to be the one starter by default. The other corner isn't as clear. Cioffi's been moved to safety and seems best suited as a nickelback, as is Stephenson. Blessan Austin could be a starter as a true freshman. Thoughts?
Boggs and Barnwell.

Was reported that odds were he would not make it. Must have done real poorly, which is a shame given our APR numbers and amount of help available to these kids.
What he needs seems doable. No doubt it could still go south, but I'm an optimist.

Peele is a stud a cb? Seriously...where is that based on

He may be good yet...but it sure wasn't based on his limited time at cb in 2913

Fingers crossed on Barnwell. If he does not qualify I hope he gets it together and comes back strong next year. We do have some good options.

Don't know who is going to start at corner, but put me down as someone who wants Peele to have a monster year.

Silver lining if Barnwell is ineligible..... He has 3 years left to play two

ADVERTISEMENT