ADVERTISEMENT

Softest Power 5 Non-Conference Schedule?

Now our AD has to predict the future and know which power 5 opponent will be weak in the future. Yet writer acknowledges RU at least has 2 Power 5 non conference opponents. He calls Wash St weak but states they went to bowl game just 2 yrs ago. Some of these writers are contradictory scribers.

GO RU

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...tgers-weakest-non-conference-schedules-080315
He should start by listing all the teams that don't play two P5 teams. After that he can start rating how weak the ones that do are. Ironically, last year people considered us a weak p5 opponent in August.

He should start by listing all the teams that don't play two P5 teams. After that he can start rating how weak the ones that do are. Ironically, last year people considered us a weak p5 opponent in August.

People considered Rutgers a weak p5 opponent in September through December too. Didn't you watch the B10 games against the top teams ?

Last edited:
RUs non conference is pretty weak - Norfolk, Kansas, Army - no one is giving that much respect most years. My bigger issue with the article is when he identifies Washington State as having the #8 weakest schedule and explains it as:

"The opener is against a Portland State squad that has been at the bottom or ....Then, Mike Leach's team travels across the country to face a Rutgers team that went 8-5 in 2014. ... against mediocre Wyoming (13 wins the past three seasons)."

How is traveling cross country to play a P5 team with a winning record evidence of a weak schedule??

I don't care as much about a weak OOC schedule now that the conference schedule is the toughest or second-toughest in the nation. As long as RU ditches the FCS game and plays one P5 I'm very happy. And Kansas is perfectly acceptable as a P5 in my book.

I don't find Wazzou to be a weak opponent at all. Other than that, sure, it's soft. Who gives a rat's ass when you have our in conference schedule?

I don't find Wazzou to be a weak opponent at all. Other than that, sure, it's soft. Who gives a rat's ass when you have our in conference schedule?
But it wasn't. When Weiss got the job he was gonna turn Kansas around. Reality plays out....

dear world... unless we are 12-0, no one really cares what our non-conference SOS is.

and if we are 12-0, no one will care what our non-conference SOS is.

Reactions: JQRU91 and vkj91
Where is Penn State on that list?

They absolutely deserve to be on this list if we are.

And playing a Mike Leach coached team is never easy and will always be a tricky game, no matter how bad they may be on paper, it will be a tricky game to win. We don't deserve to be on that list with the number of teams that aren't playing P5 opponents out there.

When Leach took over Wash State a whole lot of P5 ADs and HCs took them off their OOC game call list. Gimmicky offenses.. successful ones.. are a pain that the power programs need not face.

Baylor has a horrible out of conference. They should call Ohio State and try to play them. Baylor with Buffalo and SMU on schedule last few years.

BTW, the PSU game was originally booked as an OOC game... for what it's worth. Our OOC schedule is just fine.

Seriously, back when the schedule was set a few years ago we had a Pac 12 team, a Big 12 team, and a service academy. Anyone would take that 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. You don't know five years out if Wazzou and Kansas will be crap, bowl teams, or conference title contenders. KU went to the BCS less than a decade ago. Wazzou is actually a solid team (lost a lot of close games). I don't put much stock in this.

Cuse board off line or you just want to see what a team with fans looks like?

Rutgers season ticket holder for multiple years now !!! Rutgers fans always claimed that they wanted general college football fans join the bandwagon ... well here I am !! and I dress in all Rutgers red so I might be next to you at the games :)

Baylor has a horrible out of conference. They should call Ohio State and try to play them. Baylor with Buffalo and SMU on schedule last few years.

This piece was just a filler until camp starts. How is Missouri not on the list? Missouri plays SE Missouri St., UConn, and Arkansas St. That's a killa schedule.o_O

Reactions: satnom
Rutgers season ticket holder for multiple years now !!! Rutgers fans always claimed that they wanted general college football fans join the bandwagon ... well here I am !! and I dress in all Rutgers red so I might be next to you at the games :)

I also used to be a season ticket holder for Rutgers men's basketball too and go to some lacrosse games, so Rutgers has a lot of my money :) However, like a lot of Rutgers basketball fans, I just could not take it anymore - still go to 3 or 4 games though

In the end, it's going to be in the best interest of the schools to beef up their OOC schedules (and, hope their in-conference games are strong as well). If any given team plays well enough that they're ranked high by the end of the season, the CFP committee will look at their schedule to determine if they should be in the playoff. So, Missouri .. heck, three-quarters of the SEC .. ttfp are all doing themselves a great disadvantage by not scheduling as strong an OOC as possible.

The only time where this should ever be deemed "acceptable," is when the AD knows that their team is in the bottom half of the P5 rankings with no hope of climbing to the top that season or next. In that case, they can schedule all the weak teams they want, just to get to a bowl game. If ttfp (or Missouri, or Georgia, or ...) wins 9 or 10 games this year, they won't fool anyone and - more than likely - get embarrassed when they do play their bowl games.

a lot will depend how the season progresses. If Wash St goes 8-4 and threatens in the P12 then they will not be considered soft. If Kansas goes 7-5 and beats a top team in the B12 they will not be soft. If Army wins more than 4 games they will be stronger.

You can start with any of the Big 12 teams when talking terrible out of conference schedules.
Baylor, Kansas State and Oklahoma state are especially sawft. Texas at least tried

I am all for two Power 5 games every year. One traditionally strong program and one lower level program. We get no credit if we beat a Group of 5 team, and will get killed perception-wise if we lose to a Group of 5 team. At least with Kansas, we get to say we beat a BIG XII team. I'm fine with Kansas on the schedule as long as its paired with the Miami's, UCLA's, Washington's and VaTech's that are on our schedule. Pair with those teams a Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest or teams like that.

Line the opponents up per the conference's philosophy. If we're in the hunt for an NC and the two P5 opponents that year aren't particularly strong, then the gods are just against us. Otherwise it doesn't really matter, and we can just enjoy the games.

ADVERTISEMENT